PDA

View Full Version : Question about Borg's quitting in 1982

FedFan_2009
06-26-2009, 02:11 PM
What I don't get is what was this unbearable pressure he felt? He had 11 slams, he was the GOAT of the Open Era. Essentially you could say he was playing with house money the rest of the way, yet losing 3 slam finals in a year to JMac broke his spirit. I honestly don't get it, why the burn out? Was it the 1982 French Open fiasco?

Q&M son
06-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Check this thread for some answers:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=227694

FedFan_2009
06-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Yeah interesting. Borg was already burning out by the summer of 1980. Mac's 3 slam final wins from 80-81 combined with the ITF's requirement for qualifications were the final nails in the coffin. But he was already half gone by mid-1982. Plus the fact that for Borg #1 was everything. #2 meant nothing. So that's where Roger gets it from. He's also said the same things last year, but he's adjusted to life as #2 with aplomb, unlike Borg. Of course Roger has had a good support system around himself for year, unlike Borg.

Borgforever
06-27-2009, 05:06 AM
I am actually much more interested in other players for the moment (mainly Laver, Gonzalez, Sedgman and Rosewall and finding mid-50s and early to mid-60s matches of these players in full matches on DVD). But I will add a few thought and quotes on this (but I've talked a lot about this already so it is not something I relish as now :-)).

There were a lot of instances were Borg was assaulted and chased and so forth by crazed fans and paparazzis during his prime (have several photos of him actually engaged in fist-fights) -- but here's a few quotes:

TIM HENMAN (2001): "Borg had it a lot tougher with all the hoopla. Hounded everywhere while he was trying to at his best. And after he lost (USO-final 1981) and just walked out to car, drove off, never to return stands as the most impressive retirement of all time."

BORIS BECKER 2001: “People don’t realize… No-one can say that they can even begin to understand the popularity, the chaos around Borg. It would turn everybody insane. But the fact that he peformed so well, while all this turmoil was around him, and that he actually played on, even until he was 25-26 (years old), speaks volumes for him. He absolutely kept his composure for almost a decade.”

YAHOO NEWS TENNIS 20090627:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/blog/ten_experts/post/Wimbledon-Slice-Day-5-Media-wars;_ylt=ApTtWm7ADSdiqvLGARE.DJA4v7YF?urn=ten,173 165

“The start of the sport's sensationalist era was the 1970s, when larger-than-life characters such as John McEnroe, Bjorn Borg and Jimmy Connors burst on to the scene.

Borg admitted in a BBC interview on Friday (June 26th 2009) that the way in which he was hounded by press photographers while in London played a major role in him cutting short his career.

A McEnroe press conference in 1981 even erupted into a full-blown fistfight, when American correspondent Charlie Steiner objected to the way McEnroe had been treated by English reporters.”