PDA

View Full Version : Define the term; Prodigy?

フェデラー
06-26-2009, 09:55 PM
What is a prodigy? Who is a prodigy? I always see these losers on youtube who are all like "Ambidextrous playing; PRODIGY" and its embarrassing because they just end up sucking. So how do you define a prodigy?

nCode747
06-26-2009, 10:52 PM
Someone aged 5-7 who can consistently hit deep, well paced balls from both forehand and backhand side with proper technique. They should also be able to serve using correct motion and be accurate with some moderate pace. They should also be able to sustain rallys with ease. This is what a 5-7 year old should be doing in order to be looked at as a prodigy. For example, Jan Silva.

フェデラー
06-27-2009, 01:47 PM
what % of people on youtube are "prodigy's" its all a show really, for attention

フェデラー
06-28-2009, 02:29 PM
no one has any input on this? surprising

TennisCoachFLA
06-28-2009, 07:19 PM
We have had several threads on this before. To me it is hard to define a tennis prodigy compared to a math prodigy. A math genious at 5 is a math genious at 25...on a level 99.999% of us could never reach, no matter when we start math or how hard we work. Their brains are just superior in math and none of us can ever catch up to them.

But if a kid starts tennis at 2-3 years old and hits great at 5 he may still be caught by the many great athletes who start at 7-8-9 year olds. So was he just great at 5 because he started at 2 and few other kids did...or is he really a prodigy? And how about the kid who is a harder worker and passes him by?

I guess a true tennis prodigy would have to show long term superiority. He would have to blow other kids away at 5 at 8 at 12 at 20. He/she would have to be on another level from the start right through athletic maturity.

It is so hard to define. Check out all those tennis prodigy videos. How many do you see serving at 4-5? They all hit forehands, some hit backhands, but none of them are shown serving. Serving is so complex with the throw and the timing.

I have seen a few, not very many, 4-5 year olds in Florida who can hit nice serves. Are they more of a prodigy that the You Tube kid that hits great forehands but can't serve?

tenniscrazed
06-29-2009, 09:39 AM
What is a prodigy? Who is a prodigy? I always see these losers on youtube who are all like "Ambidextrous playing; PRODIGY" and its embarrassing because they just end up sucking. So how do you define a prodigy?

http://video.yahoo.com/network/100063489?v=4925234&l=100063517

This is phenominal for THAT sport. There is way too much involved in tennis for such a thing as a phenom, or prodigy. Certainly there is much room for being advanced for your particular age. But not phenom, or prodigy. Lets say you have a child who double faults 20 - 30 times in a match at the age of 8 or 9 on the surface you would say "never gonna make it" yet this child grows up and has a serve pumping over 110 at 14 or 15 now what? Or another child who at 8 - 13 couldn't keep more than 4 or 5 balls in the court you would say "never gonna make it" yet at 17 is an international tour junior "now what"?

My point is you have to be real careful when you are "labeling". You can be labeling and setting up for disaster if they don't meet the expectation or labeling and not giving them enough credit for the long term potential and thereby selling them short. Either way the end doesn't justify the label.