PDA

View Full Version : head heavy?

Belafonte
03-24-2005, 06:42 PM
sorry if this has been answered, but are the racket's that pros are useing really head heavy? i hear that they are useing alot of lead tape. would you guys recomend that i should attempt to make my racket head heavy or mybe an even balance?

Lambsscroll
03-25-2005, 05:40 AM
Often when you hear a racquet is head heavy it really isnt, it just feels head heavy. If you have a racquet that is 4 points head light or less it will fell head heavy to most people. It is possible now with lighter racquets to shift more weight towards the head of the racquet and still have sufficient racquet speed.

barry
03-25-2005, 07:03 AM
Also I think longer rackets tend to be head heavy. The trend is towards head heavy for big serving. More weight in the head of a frame, harder you can hit serves, and the racket is a lot more stable.

tennissavy
03-25-2005, 09:13 PM
sorry if this has been answered, but are the racket's that pros are useing really head heavy? i hear that they are useing alot of lead tape. would you guys recomend that i should attempt to make my racket head heavy or mybe an even balance?

I would recommend adding lead tape to the head of your racquet and also adding weight to the handle. I use lead sinker weights and glue, in the handle to counterbalance, like the instructions on the tennis warehouse site detail very well.

alan-n
03-25-2005, 09:18 PM
Also I think longer rackets tend to be head heavy. The trend is towards head heavy for big serving. More weight in the head of a frame, harder you can hit serves, and the racket is a lot more stable.

I think this is only true for larger heads. For smaller headed racquets you don't need as much weight in the head since there is less racquet head to twist.

Z-Man
03-27-2005, 10:50 AM
Belafonte:
The pros do put tape on the heads of their racquets, but I'll bet there is also tape you can't see under the handle, so the balance isn't changed radically. Also, if a racquet starts out 10-12 pts headlight, it takes a lot of tape just to even out the balance...

matchpoints
03-27-2005, 03:42 PM
Belafonte:
Also, if a racquet starts out 10-12 pts headlight, it takes a lot of tape just to even out the balance...

Yup! I was surprised after all that tape I had applied, that my stick was still head light.

Type40
03-27-2005, 09:45 PM
I find that I can wrap lead tape around the bare handle, then rewrap the grip over it, and with some experimentation, you can increase the overall weight to your liking, and also maintain the ratio of head light or heaviness that the racquet originally had.
I've got my 300G up to 12oz now.

federer_nadal
03-27-2005, 10:43 PM
I am going to purchase an Aeropro drive plus soon, I am goin to put some lead on it to make it a bit more head light and heavier, i dont know , about .5 ounces. BTW does the AP drive plus have the trapdoor butcap