PDA

View Full Version : How do these colleges sound...?

Cameron
06-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Okay...my name is Cameron and I will be a senior in high school, so I'm getting really serious about finding a college. My goal is to get a scholarship and play for a DI school, so all these listed are DI except Erskine. I have been researching a lot and have a list of colleges that maybe some of you guys are pretty familiar with. Just let me know what you think and if you know anything about their team, coach, campus, academics. Ya know, anything you want to say, thanks so much!

Belmont
UNC Wilmington
UNC Charlotte
UNC Asheville
Wofford
Elon
Presbyterian
Tulane
Erskine (the coach really wants me to look at them, but I don't know much about the school)

Here is my tennis-recruiting page:
http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/player/overview.asp?id=267130

And here is a video of me playing (not a great video, sorry):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwAc7JxQDs0

Let me know what you think, thank you again! :)

deddied
06-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Dont just linit yourself to d1 schools keep yourself open to everything about erskine i think, im not sure, thats a christian college. The reason why i know is because my mom wont let me go to college a year early unless i went to a christian college.

Cameron
06-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Yep, you're right, Erskine is a Christian school and it is DII, sorry I forgot to say that.

stanfordtennis alum
06-28-2009, 12:32 PM
i have heard good things about unc charlotte, unc wilmington and tulane.. do not go to Erskine unless you get a full ride which u will... not a good school in the middle of nowhere

Cameron
06-28-2009, 12:41 PM
So I guess the city surrounding Erskine isn't great, thanks for the insight. I am pretty excited about UNC Wilmington, but I think Tulane is a little out of my league. :(

tennismom42
06-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Tulane is quite expensive ($58,000 per year to cover everything.)

What about Colgate? Isn't that a Christian college?

Cameron
06-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Ya, like I said, I think Tulane is out of my league in every aspect, tennis, academic, financial... anyways, I will look at Colgate, I haven't heard of it before. Thanks! :)

stanfordtennis alum
06-29-2009, 03:26 PM
So I guess the city surrounding Erskine isn't great, thanks for the insight. I am pretty excited about UNC Wilmington, but I think Tulane is a little out of my league. :(

yes, erskine is in due west, sc.. less than 1,000 ppl live there!!!!

Cameron
07-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Wow! That is so tiny! Most colleges have more than 1,000 people just on the campus and not even counting the city!

Cameron
07-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Tulane is quite expensive ($58,000 per year to cover everything.)

What about Colgate? Isn't that a Christian college?

I looked up Colgate, it is in NY, if possible I think I will try to stay in the South. It looked like a nice school, though. And you are right, it is a Christian college.

stanfordtennis alum
07-02-2009, 04:28 PM
I looked up Colgate, it is in NY, if possible I think I will try to stay in the South. It looked like a nice school, though. And you are right, it is a Christian college.

colgate is a good school, know 2 people who went there.. out of your list, I would try to go to one of the NC schools, unc wilmington is very nice

Cameron
07-02-2009, 06:47 PM
colgate is a good school, know 2 people who went there.. out of your list, I would try to go to one of the NC schools, unc wilmington is very nice

Okay, thanks. I have heard good things about UNC Wilmington too, it is just really far away from home, around 8 hours, I think.

Fandango
07-03-2009, 07:04 PM
unc is nice, beauty

Cameron
07-05-2009, 12:33 PM
unc is nice, beauty

Did you go there? Are you talking about UNC Wilmington or UNC?

SVP
07-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Did you go there? Are you talking about UNC Wilmington or UNC?
I think he's talking about UNC. My co-worker went there.

Cameron
07-07-2009, 01:02 PM
I would go to UNC if I had a chance, their tennis teams are amazing! Unfortunately, I have to be realistic.

alb1
07-07-2009, 04:47 PM
My daughter visited Erskine several years ago and thought it was a beautiful school. She didn't go to Erskine but went to another small remote school and enjoyed it a lot. After living in a highly populated area and attending a high school with over 2500 students, she liked the closeness that a small student body offered.

Cameron
07-07-2009, 06:20 PM
My daughter visited Erskine several years ago and thought it was a beautiful school. She didn't go to Erskine but went to another small remote school and enjoyed it a lot. After living in a highly populated area and attending a high school with over 2500 students, she liked the closeness that a small student body offered.

That is really neat, why didn't she end up going there? The size of Erskine is sooo small, I don't know if I would like that or not. I know the relationships you make will last a lifetime, it just seems like the school would get boring pretty fast.

alb1
07-08-2009, 06:35 AM
That is really neat, why didn't she end up going there? The size of Erskine is sooo small, I don't know if I would like that or not. I know the relationships you make will last a lifetime, it just seems like the school would get boring pretty fast.

Basically she had a list of schools like you. She looked at the cost, distance from home, and her assurance of holding down a top 6 position on the tennis team. If she was going to put in the time for tennis, she wanted to be play in the matches. So she chose a school based on a combination of these.

As far as a small school being boring, between tennis, sorority activities, student activities, and actually going to class and studying, she stayed quite busy.

Cameron
07-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Basically she had a list of schools like you. She looked at the cost, distance from home, and her assurance of holding down a top 6 position on the tennis team. If she was going to put in the time for tennis, she wanted to be play in the matches. So she chose a school based on a combination of these.

As far as a small school being boring, between tennis, sorority activities, student activities, and actually going to class and studying, she stayed quite busy.

That is good criteria. I definitely want to have a top 6 position too. If not, I'll be working hard for nothing. Where did your daughter end up? (you don't have to tell me if you don't want that information out) Thanks!

bulldawg
07-08-2009, 12:26 PM
UNC-Asheville is a great school. I walked onto the team my freshman year (many years ago). That was still in the days of serve and volley tennis. Great academics...average class size is about 30 students, and most classes are taught by Ph.D's, not graduate students. Always ranked in U.S. News & World Reports best value. It's a little bit of a hippie school, or I guess I should say granolas...after all, it is the state's public liberal arts university. Enrollment is just over 3,000, at last check.

alb1
07-09-2009, 11:11 AM
That is good criteria. I definitely want to have a top 6 position too. If not, I'll be working hard for nothing. Where did your daughter end up? (you don't have to tell me if you don't want that information out) Thanks!

I'm not going to put her info out there. I'll just say that she's had the opportunity to compete against nationally ranked NAIA, DIII, and JUCO players, and along the way received some conference honors and ranking recognition herself.

My advice to you is to explore all possibilities in addtion to D1.There are coaches at all college levels that would love to have you on their team. Maybe the right fit for you is on your list, and maybe it's a place you haven't even considered. Put your name out in front of as many southern schools as you can, and then see who's interested and what they have to offer.

Cameron
07-09-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm not going to put her info out there. I'll just say that she's had the opportunity to compete against nationally ranked NAIA, DIII, and JUCO players, and along the way received some conference honors and ranking recognition herself.

My advice to you is to explore all possibilities in addtion to D1.There are coaches at all college levels that would love to have you on their team. Maybe the right fit for you is on your list, and maybe it's a place you haven't even considered. Put your name out in front of as many southern schools as you can, and then see who's interested and what they have to offer.

Congrats to your daughter on all her accomplishments. Thanks for the good advice, I will keep my mind open to whatever opportunities are available.

JMS
07-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Yes as alb1 mentioned make sure to look at all levels. Have you looked at University of the South: Sewanee? It's a great school academically and they have great tennis facilities (indoor and outdoor).

http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/team.asp?id=1676

Cameron
07-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Yes as alb1 mentioned make sure to look at all levels. Have you looked at University of the South: Sewanee? It's a great school academically and they have great tennis facilities (indoor and outdoor).

http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/team.asp?id=1676

I actually haven't looked at Sewanee, although I have heard good things about it. Thanks for the suggestion.

OhDear
07-12-2009, 09:20 AM
Tulane and Wofford are both excellent schools, but as far as I know, Wofford is a LA College? Am I right?

Cameron
07-13-2009, 05:58 AM
Anybody know anything about Liberty University? It is DI and I think the coach is interested in me. It is in Lynchburg, VA, just wondering in anyone has heard of it. Thanks.

Cameron
07-13-2009, 05:59 AM
Tulane and Wofford are both excellent schools, but as far as I know, Wofford is a LA College? Am I right?

What is an LA college? Sorry if that is a stupid question.

Sleepstream
07-13-2009, 07:41 AM
What is an LA college? Sorry if that is a stupid question.

LA = Liberal arts?

JMS
07-13-2009, 08:09 AM
Anybody know anything about Liberty University? It is DI and I think the coach is interested in me. It is in Lynchburg, VA, just wondering in anyone has heard of it. Thanks.

In a very small, weak DI conference, not too strong academically.

alb1
07-13-2009, 08:16 AM

Christian college with very strict ethics code. Mandatory chapel attendance. Dress code. etc

deddied
07-13-2009, 08:26 AM

Yeah, but I think that there are other christian schools that are better than that. Palm Beach Atlantic is another christian college but it is in florida.

stanfordtennis alum
07-14-2009, 07:37 AM

very strict religious school... wouldn't recommend it

Cameron
07-16-2009, 12:45 PM
I just visited Liberty University, and it is pretty nice. Not as bad as you guys said. The tennis coach is amazing! He is super nice and has big plans for the program. He really wants to improve each persons game and not just use them how they are for the team. So, it seems like a pretty neat place to me.

ClarkC
07-16-2009, 12:50 PM
I think Liberty is pretty good academically. I have investigated curricula in recent years in Honors Programs and Computer Science for my oldest son, and Liberty looked better than a lot of schools I compared it to.

I have no inside info on their tennis team or coach, though.

JMS
07-16-2009, 08:20 PM
I think Liberty is pretty good academically. I have investigated curricula in recent years in Honors Programs and Computer Science for my oldest son, and Liberty looked better than a lot of schools I compared it to.

I have no inside info on their tennis team or coach, though.

Liberty is not that strong academically:

http://collegesearch.collegeboard.com/search/CollegeDetail.jsp?collegeId=3446&type=qfs&skey=liberty

alb1
07-17-2009, 06:34 AM
I just visited Liberty University, and it is pretty nice. Not as bad as you guys said. The tennis coach is amazing! He is super nice and has big plans for the program. He really wants to improve each persons game and not just use them how they are for the team. So, it seems like a pretty neat place to me.

Great example of checking out all opportunities. The schools and coaches you like may not be on everyone's preferred list. You are the best judge of where and who you will be comfortable with. What other schools are you planning on visiting?

ClarkC
07-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Liberty is not that strong academically:

http://collegesearch.collegeboard.com/search/CollegeDetail.jsp?collegeId=3446&type=qfs&skey=liberty

There are different measures of strength. The most quantitative are selectivity in admissions and GPA/test score of incoming students. Liberty does not do too well in selectivity and GPA of incoming students. It is easy to get into Liberty.

More subjective is to evaluate the curriculum that you are interested in pursuing. That is what my posting was about.

Cameron
07-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Great example of checking out all opportunities. The schools and coaches you like may not be on everyone's preferred list. You are the best judge of where and who you will be comfortable with. What other schools are you planning on visiting?

So far I have visited Liberty, Elon, Wofford, and Furman. I am going to visit UT Chattanooga next week and possibly Belmont. I talked to the coach at UNC Wilmington and they don't have any spots on the team or scholarships to offer. So the colleges I am really interested in right now are Liberty, UT Chattanooga, and possibly Wofford and Belmont.

benne
07-18-2009, 04:52 PM
I find it really unique how you bring your racquet back for your forehand with your hand so close to your body. With your elbow in, then you extend your arm and whip the ball in your power zone...pretty good timing.

ag200boy
07-19-2009, 07:37 AM
UNCW is the nicest of the UNC schools, other then Chapel Hill, IMO. My sister goes to UNC but a few of her friends go to wilmington and when I went there to hang out for a few nights, it was a really cool place. Don't know about the tennis though.

Cameron
07-19-2009, 07:09 PM
UNCW is the nicest of the UNC schools, other then Chapel Hill, IMO. My sister goes to UNC but a few of her friends go to wilmington and when I went there to hang out for a few nights, it was a really cool place. Don't know about the tennis though.

I was going to visit Wilmington, but then I contacted the coach and he said they don't have any spots or scholarships for my year. So, unfortunately, UNCW is off my list. I was pretty excited about it too, oh well.

pricey_aus
07-19-2009, 09:21 PM
I'm in the same spot as you, Cameron. Im a Junior in high school from australia, and am keen to go to college. I just don't know how high to aim and stuff like that. Im a guy by the way

catskillthunder
07-20-2009, 12:59 PM
What was the problem with Colgate? I live very close to the University and it is a really amazing school both academically and athletically.

Here is their tennis website if you havnt already browsed it. Btw, I am in no way affiliated with Colgate or any university for that matter. Im just trying to help a fellow TW'er out. Good Luck.

http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/index.aspx?path=wten

Cameron
07-20-2009, 07:58 PM
I'm in the same spot as you, Cameron. Im a Junior in high school from australia, and am keen to go to college. I just don't know how high to aim and stuff like that. Im a guy by the way

Ya, it gets kinda frustrating and overwhelming at times, but I know I will end up where I am supposed to be. And you will too, if you have any questions about schools here in the U.S. feel free to ask. I'll be a senior, so I might be of a little help. Good luck!

Cameron
07-20-2009, 08:03 PM
What was the problem with Colgate? I live very close to the University and it is a really amazing school both academically and athletically.

Here is their tennis website if you havnt already browsed it. Btw, I am in no way affiliated with Colgate or any university for that matter. Im just trying to help a fellow TW'er out. Good Luck.

The only problem with Colgate is that it is in New York, and I kind of want to stay in the south. It does sound like a really good school though, thanks for the suggestion.
(that website is great, and the campus looks beautiful)

catskillthunder
07-20-2009, 08:13 PM
The only problem with Colgate is that it is in New York, and I kind of want to stay in the south. It does sound like a really good school though, thanks for the suggestion.
(that website is great, and the campus looks beautiful)

You're welcome Cameron. I hope you find the college that best suits you. Please do not be a stranger and keep us posted on which college you choose and also how your college career progresses. I would personally like to follow how you do throughout your 4 yrs.

pricey_aus
07-21-2009, 02:28 AM
Ya, it gets kinda frustrating and overwhelming at times, but I know I will end up where I am supposed to be. And you will too, if you have any questions about schools here in the U.S. feel free to ask. I'll be a senior, so I might be of a little help. Good luck!

Thanks, yeah. Im 16 at the moment and plan to go in Fall (??) of 2011, if that gives you any understanding. I have sent out a massive email to alooottt of coaches, but my mate said that they are on holidays, which might be the reason why I have only got a few emails back. Are you aiming for a high ranked D1 school or not? I don't know how the girls works too well, actually I don't know alot about Men's either. Its all so confusing!!

AndrewD
07-21-2009, 12:44 PM
Thanks, yeah. Im 16 at the moment and plan to go in Fall (??) of 2011, if that gives you any understanding. I have sent out a massive email to alooottt of coaches, but my mate said that they are on holidays, which might be the reason why I have only got a few emails back. Are you aiming for a high ranked D1 school or not? I don't know how the girls works too well, actually I don't know alot about Men's either. Its all so confusing!!

Make sure that you have all of your letters edited for spelling mistakes (not by the computer) and grammatical errors. It mightn't count for much but it might count for enough to get you noticed. Eg; it isn't 'alot' it's 'a lot' (they're two separate words). Coaches can afford to be fussy and for that reason you can't give them the slightest opportunity to discard your application.

Cameron
07-21-2009, 02:48 PM
You're welcome Cameron. I hope you find the college that best suits you. Please do not be a stranger and keep us posted on which college you choose and also how your college career progresses. I would personally like to follow how you do throughout your 4 yrs.
Thanks you for your interest, catskillthunder! That is really nice of you, I will definitely keep you guys posted. Thanks again. :)

Cameron
07-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Make sure that you have all of your letters edited for spelling mistakes (not by the computer) and grammatical errors. It mightn't count for much but it might count for enough to get you noticed. Eg; it isn't 'alot' it's 'a lot' (they're two separate words). Coaches can afford to be fussy and for that reason you can't give them the slightest opportunity to discard your application.

Okay, do a lot of coaches look at this stuff? Good suggestion, sorry, I probably wrote most of this stuff late at night. I will definitely double check my posts. Thanks!

Cameron
07-21-2009, 02:57 PM

Yep, a lot of coaches haven't emailed me back either. This is definitely vacation time, just be patient, they will get back with you. Good luck!

Spinz
07-21-2009, 04:51 PM

Do you play Victoria pennant? Coaches are going to look at that (level and results) in factoring in what you can do for their team.

Spinz
07-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Okay, do a lot of coaches look at this stuff? Good suggestion, sorry, I probably wrote most of this stuff late at night. I will definitely double check my posts. Thanks!

They do look at it and also anything that is accessible on Facebook, MySpace etc. Coaches are looking for results and potential but also for a good fit for their teams and players who aren't going to cause problems. I've looked at your videos here and also read some of your posts and I think you have an excellent chance at getting a spot somewhere. You are a nice player but also seem very balanced and mature. You also take criticism extremely well. Please keep in mind that you do not have to be a perfect player to play college tennis. You have four years to get better. I think you are well on your way, but if you keep working hard, you can improve even more.

pricey_aus
07-21-2009, 05:28 PM
Do you play Victoria pennant? Coaches are going to look at that (level and results) in factoring in what you can do for their team.

Yeah I do actually, I'm pretty sure I put that in my email too. I play grade 1 for Liston and haven't lost a match yet, and filled in for State Grade once, and won the singles. I'm pretty sure that next year I am going to play State Grade at South Yarra, when im not travelling.

Cameron
07-21-2009, 06:05 PM
They do look at it and also anything that is accessible on Facebook, MySpace etc. Coaches are looking for results and potential but also for a good fit for their teams and players who aren't going to cause problems. I've looked at your videos here and also read some of your posts and I think you have an excellent chance at getting a spot somewhere. You are a nice player but also seem very balanced and mature. You also take criticism extremely well. Please keep in mind that you do not have to be a perfect player to play college tennis. You have four years to get better. I think you are well on your way, but if you keep working hard, you can improve even more.

Thank you so much, that is really nice. I hope I do as well as you think I will. By the way, I don't have Facebook or MySpace, so no worries there.

pricey_aus
07-21-2009, 06:19 PM

haha eeep, the coach from Louisville added me on facebook, and yeah there is some silly things on there, too say the least. Not anything serious, but yeah...not the greatest first impression. whoops...

Cameron
07-21-2009, 06:23 PM
haha eeep, the coach from Louisville added me on facebook, and yeah there is some silly things on there, too say the least. Not anything serious, but yeah...not the greatest first impression. whoops...

Haha! Maybe it is a good thing I don't have a Facebook, that would be kind of creepy.

pricey_aus
07-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Haha! Maybe it is a good thing I don't have a Facebook, that would be kind of creepy.

yeah, i feel quite stupid now! Cameron may I ask, why dont you look at the University of Alabama, that is in your home town, right?

Cameron
07-21-2009, 06:37 PM
yeah, i feel quite stupid now! Cameron may I ask, why dont you look at the University of Alabama, that is in your home town, right?
Haha, it's okay.

Yes, Alabama is about an hour away from my house, but they have a really good team. I am pretty sure I would not have a playing position there or a scholarship, and I am aiming for both. Good question though. My good friend and actually my former high school doubles partner is at Alabama on full scholarship for tennis right now. It is a pretty good school though.

What schools are you looking at right now, or is it too many to name?

pricey_aus
07-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Haha, it's okay.

Yes, Alabama is about an hour away from my house, but they have a really good team. I am pretty sure I would not have a playing position there or a scholarship, and I am aiming for both. Good question though. My good friend and actually my former high school doubles partner is at Alabama on full scholarship for tennis right now. It is a pretty good school though.

What schools are you looking at right now, or is it too many to name?

Yeah, there is alot. I sent out a email to around 90 coaches I think. I'm pretty sure University of Washington is my number 1 choice, but I got replies from:
-Indiana Bloomington
-Middle Tennessee
-Kentucky
-Northwestern
-Wisconsin
-Kentucky
-Penn State

Washington seems like a good choice for me I think, as it is in a big city and I live in a big city here in Aus. I just want to go somewhere warm though, and apparently it rains heaps in Seattle!

I sent a email too Alabama, but didn't get a reply :(. It looks awesome except their roster is huggeee. I hope I get a few more replies though!

how high are the schools ranked you are looking at?

Tom :)

alb1
07-22-2009, 09:11 AM

There was a good article on tennisrecruiting.net last week about what to do if your top choice didn't offer a scholarship. Basically it said to categorize schools at 3 levels: 1.dream school 2. school where you know you can play but have to wait on an offer 3. slam dunk school where you know you can play and get a scholarship pretty easily.

If you are dependent on the athletic scholarship, then definitely line up some level 3 schools even if they are D2 or NAIA. It's good to feel wanted and needed, and it will take away some of the pressure of having to wait on the other schools to see if they offer.

Cameron
07-22-2009, 02:04 PM
Yeah, there is alot. I sent out a email to around 90 coaches I think. I'm pretty sure University of Washington is my number 1 choice, but I got replies from:
-Indiana Bloomington
-Middle Tennessee
-Kentucky
-Northwestern
-Wisconsin
-Kentucky
-Penn State

Washington seems like a good choice for me I think, as it is in a big city and I live in a big city here in Aus. I just want to go somewhere warm though, and apparently it rains heaps in Seattle!

I sent a email too Alabama, but didn't get a reply :(. It looks awesome except their roster is huggeee. I hope I get a few more replies though!

Wow, you have been busy, it is good that you are starting early. You must be a really good player and smart too, those are some good schools. I hope you get some more replies too, I bet you will, summer is a busy and travel filled time for most coaches.

The schools I am looking at aren't ranked very high, I don't want to sit on the bench, so I am trying to find a team that I can for sure play on.

Cameron
07-22-2009, 02:06 PM
There was a good article on tennisrecruiting.net last week about what to do if your top choice didn't offer a scholarship. Basically it said to categorize schools at 3 levels: 1.dream school 2. school where you know you can play but have to wait on an offer 3. slam dunk school where you know you can play and get a scholarship pretty easily.

If you are dependent on the athletic scholarship, then definitely line up some level 3 schools even if they are D2 or NAIA. It's good to feel wanted and needed, and it will take away some of the pressure of having to wait on the other schools to see if they offer.

Thanks, that seems like a really good way to do it. I think I have some of those already, but that would definitely help you not get too discouraged.

pricey_aus
07-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Wow, you have been busy, it is good that you are starting early. You must be a really good player and smart too, those are some good schools. I hope you get some more replies too, I bet you will, summer is a busy and travel filled time for most coaches.

The schools I am looking at aren't ranked very high, I don't want to sit on the bench, so I am trying to find a team that I can for sure play on.

Thanks, your too nice :).

I'm sure you'll go somewhere that will be great for you too!!!

It's quite an exciting time isn't it!

Hey...im making a video later today (its 8.30 am where I am) and hope to get it online in the next few days. If i put it in here will you take a look and see what you think? that would be great if you could. :)

Cameron
07-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Thanks, your too nice :).

I'm sure you'll go somewhere that will be great for you too!!!

It's quite an exciting time isn't it!

Hey...im making a video later today (its 8.30 am where I am) and hope to get it online in the next few days. If i put it in here will you take a look and see what you think? that would be great if you could. :)

It is 6 p.m. here, I will definitely watch your video when you get it uploaded. Did you see mine? It is an exciting time, as frustrating as it is sometimes, it is one of the best parts of the whole college process. :)

pricey_aus
07-22-2009, 02:55 PM
It is 6 p.m. here, I will definitely watch your video when you get it uploaded. Did you see mine? It is an exciting time, as frustrating as it is sometimes, it is one of the best parts of the whole college process. :)

yeahh i did see yours, but my internet is soooo slow at the moment so I only got about 1 minute through. You look like your a sweet player though!
It should quicken up in the next few days so i'll watch it all then.

one more question lol...what do you think of the university of alabama? would you reccomend it if someone got an opportunity to play there? oh and tulane looks sweet, in my opinion. haha :)

Cameron
07-22-2009, 03:28 PM
yeahh i did see yours, but my internet is soooo slow at the moment so I only got about 1 minute through. You look like your a sweet player though!
It should quicken up in the next few days so i'll watch it all then.

one more question lol...what do you think of the university of alabama? would you reccomend it if someone got an opportunity to play there? oh and tulane looks sweet, in my opinion. haha :)

Alabama...hmm it isn't my favorite school. The dorms are bad unless you are in the Honors dorms. Being from AL, I know a ton of people who go there. I think most of them like it pretty well. I would say that if the coach is interested in you and offers you a scholarship or something, then go for it. But if not, move on and look else where. It probably isn't meant to be if that happens. (It is a pretty big party school too, I don't know if you are into that stuff, I'm not)

Tulane does look pretty cool, they are really good, though. (too good for me unfortunately) :(

pricey_aus
07-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Alabama...hmm it isn't my favorite school. The dorms are bad unless you are in the Honors dorms. Being from AL, I know a ton of people who go there. I think most of them like it pretty well. I would say that if the coach is interested in you and offers you a scholarship or something, then go for it. But if not, move on and look else where. It probably isn't meant to be if that happens. (It is a pretty big party school too, I don't know if you are into that stuff, I'm not)

Tulane does look pretty cool, they are really good, though. (too good for me unfortunately) :(

interesting...thanks. nah im not much a partier either, im more of a chill type of guy haha. I would really like to go somewhere near a beach or a lake or something (bit weird i know), but I think it would be great. and you gotta believe you can get into Tulane!! you still got a year before you go to college so you can do it! I actually am considering getting the email for Tulane and emailing them, because the facilities and program looks good!

hahahaha wouldn it be funny if we both ended up at Tulane, and didn't know each other. Chances of that though!

Cameron
07-22-2009, 09:24 PM
interesting...thanks. nah im not much a partier either, im more of a chill type of guy haha. I would really like to go somewhere near a beach or a lake or something (bit weird i know), but I think it would be great. and you gotta believe you can get into Tulane!! you still got a year before you go to college so you can do it! I actually am considering getting the email for Tulane and emailing them, because the facilities and program looks good!

hahahaha wouldn it be funny if we both ended up at Tulane, and didn't know each other. Chances of that though!

Ya, that would be pretty sweet if we both ended up at Tulane. But I emailed the coach a few times and she never responded. :(

Hmmm... beach or lake, that is not weird at all, I would love to be on a beach or lake. If you want, you could try UNC Wilmington, it is right on the beach. And as for the lake, I think Davidson College in North Carolina is on a lake or close to one. They have very good academics and athletics and I know the guys assistant coach. :)

tennismom42
07-22-2009, 09:45 PM

I know 2 young men that are going to Colgate. Their parents said there are zero scholarships for that Conference. ........hmmmm..... be careful

catskillthunder
07-23-2009, 09:32 AM
I know 2 young men that are going to Colgate. Their parents said there are zero scholarships for that Conference. ........hmmmm..... be careful

Didnt know that about Colgate. Like I said, I am in no way affiliated with that school nor do I know anything about it other then the fact I hear its great academically and athletically. It seems like a correct statement though because its a very, very upscale area and the people that I know that have went there, their parents are pretty much millionaires.

catskillthunder
07-23-2009, 09:33 AM
Ya, that would be pretty sweet if we both ended up at Tulane. But I emailed the coach a few times and she never responded. :(

Hmmm... beach or lake, that is not weird at all, I would love to be on a beach or lake. If you want, you could try UNC Wilmington, it is right on the beach. And as for the lake, I think Davidson College in North Carolina is on a lake or close to one. They have very good academics and athletics and I know the guys assistant coach. :)

In all honesty, I think you both should come to Upstate NY and go to Colgate. That way when it snows, I can have you both shovel my 50 ft driveway. LOL :)

pricey_aus
07-23-2009, 02:57 PM

Cameron,
I made my tennis recruiting webpage, even though im from Australia. I hope it works ok :-?
http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/player.asp

And also, I made my video yesterday arvo and am getting it on a disk to put on youtube later this arvo. I'll post the link in here as soon as I can!

cheers,

tom :)

tennismom42
07-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Didnt know that about Colgate. Like I said, I am in no way affiliated with that school nor do I know anything about it other then the fact I hear its great academically and athletically. It seems like a correct statement though because its a very, very upscale area and the people that I know that have went there, their parents are pretty much millionaires. I don't think it's specific to Colgate, I think it's all the ones in the Patriot conference

ClarkC
07-24-2009, 09:03 AM
Cameron,
I made my tennis recruiting webpage, even though im from Australia. I hope it works ok :-?

And also, I made my video yesterday arvo and am getting it on a disk to put on youtube later this arvo. I'll post the link in here as soon as I can!

cheers,

That link is not to any page specific to you.

Also, what in the world does arvo mean?

pricey_aus
07-24-2009, 02:40 PM
That link is not to any page specific to you.

Also, what in the world does arvo mean?

my bad. arvo = afternoon. aussie slang :)

I have made the video but my internet is really slow at the moment, but it should get faster either today or tomorrow. I'll get it up there.

here is my tennis recruiting page
EDIT
ahhh its still not working. i'll try figure it out

Cameron
07-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Cameron,

cheers,

The tennis recruiting site doesn't work, I would like to see it though, and your video.

pricey_aus
07-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Here it is, not sure if its processed yet though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FeZN04Vdi8

JMS
07-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Here it is, not sure if its processed yet though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FeZN04Vdi8

Is this you in the link below?

http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/player/overview.asp?id=722299

pricey_aus
07-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Is this you in the link below?

http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/player/overview.asp?id=722299

Yeah, it is. Is the youtube link working?

JMS
07-24-2009, 03:59 PM
Yeah, it is. Is the youtube link working?

Yeah it is, the video looks good, try to include matchplay in the next one.

pricey_aus
07-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Yeah it is, the video looks good, try to include matchplay in the next one.

Yeah, I'll make one next week of me playing a few games. get it up there as soon as I can.

Cameron
07-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Your video looks really good to me, you look like a great player. Like I said on your youtube page, I love your service motion!

Have you ever been to the U.S.?

pricey_aus
07-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Your video looks really good to me, you look like a great player. Like I said on your youtube page, I love your service motion!

Have you ever been to the U.S.?

Thanks, your too nice :). haha I was so nervous filming this, but I'm really glad about the way it came out!

And no I have never been to the U.S, I was planning to come at the end of this but I am not too sure about it at the moment, but will definetly be over there next year.

Have you ever been to Aus?

Cameron
07-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks, your too nice :). haha I was so nervous filming this, but I'm really glad about the way it came out!

And no I have never been to the U.S, I was planning to come at the end of this but I am not too sure about it at the moment, but will definetly be over there next year.

Have you ever been to Aus?

Unfortunately I have never been to Aus. Hopefully I will go one day. If you ever come to Alabama, look me up and we can hit. Good luck with college searching. I know you'll end up where you are supposed to be. :)

pricey_aus
07-28-2009, 03:15 PM
Unfortunately I have never been to Aus. Hopefully I will go one day. If you ever come to Alabama, look me up and we can hit. Good luck with college searching. I know you'll end up where you are supposed to be. :)

Thanks Cameron, and same too you. How is your search going?

Cameron
07-28-2009, 05:01 PM
Thanks Cameron, and same too you. How is your search going?

Actually, my search is over! You are the first I have told on Talk Tennis, but I verbally committed yesterday with Liberty University. I am so excited to have my decision made and I know it is the right choice for me! Thanks so much for asking. :)

pricey_aus
07-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Actually, my search is over! You are the first I have told on Talk Tennis, but I verbally committed yesterday with Liberty University. I am so excited to have my decision made and I know it is the right choice for me! Thanks so much for asking. :)

Congratulations!! thats great news Cameron, well done :)
I'm very very happy for you!!

stanfordtennis alum
07-28-2009, 05:26 PM

Congrats.. good luck in college.. it will go by fast... wish u the best and keep us posted how the season goes

Cameron
07-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Thank you all so much, I'm really excited. I will be a senior in high school this year, so I've still got a while. I think I will sign in November, though. I will definitely keep you guys posted on it all.

dennis10is
08-03-2009, 06:13 AM
-Indiana Bloomington
-Middle Tennessee
-Kentucky
-Northwestern
-Wisconsin
-Kentucky
-Penn State

UW is a great school academically. It is practically Microsoft campus due to the massive amount of donation from MS and Bill Gates.

The vibe is very relaxed and I enjoyed visiting there when my students went to grad school there. "The Ave" is very cool and a great location to have an apartment. UW is Pac 10 so that means you'll get to compete against the big tennis power on the Pacific coast.

The only minus is the rainy weather. If you are into outdoor adventure, it may be great. You need lots of exercise to keep your mood up but you'll be playing tennis so this won't be a concern. Summer time is pretty incredible there.

fuggy
08-03-2009, 07:19 AM
I am surprised that anyone who is not among the superwealthy is still looking at private schools that cost $58,000+ a year.

No wonder college kids drink so much knowing how much debt they are piling up.

Classes: I graduated from one of the private schools you listed and I have taken classes at community college. Classes at community college can be more challenging than ones at the pricey rich-kids U.

Community: Rich kids attend debutante balls before arriving at pricey-U. Debutant balls are to inform the young and rich whom they can marry. So dating the wealthy is usually a dead end at pricey-U.

I realize you will be attending for their fine tennis program. I would certainly look for a fine tennis program with as small a price tag as possible.

pricey_aus
08-03-2009, 02:42 PM
UW is a great school academically. It is practically Microsoft campus due to the massive amount of donation from MS and Bill Gates.

The vibe is very relaxed and I enjoyed visiting there when my students went to grad school there. "The Ave" is very cool and a great location to have an apartment. UW is Pac 10 so that means you'll get to compete against the big tennis power on the Pacific coast.

The only minus is the rainy weather. If you are into outdoor adventure, it may be great. You need lots of exercise to keep your mood up but you'll be playing tennis so this won't be a concern. Summer time is pretty incredible there.

Thanks for the advice man, and funny enough their assistant coach emailed me this morning. Theyre campus does look fantastic, and it is in a big city, which I would love. At the moment the schools that I am most interested in are UW, Northwestern (my dream but I don't think I have good enough grades), UW-Madison and Indiana-Bloomington. I don't know where I am going to end up at the moment though. My mate is signing to Middle Tennessee this week and my mate who is going to Oregon is also putting in a good word for me to the coach, so I seriously have no idea. :confused:

dennis10is
08-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the advice man, and funny enough their assistant coach emailed me this morning. Theyre campus does look fantastic, and it is in a big city, which I would love. At the moment the schools that I am most interested in are UW, Northwestern (my dream but I don't think I have good enough grades), UW-Madison and Indiana-Bloomington. I don't know where I am going to end up at the moment though. My mate is signing to Middle Tennessee this week and my mate who is going to Oregon is also putting in a good word for me to the coach, so I seriously have no idea. :confused:

Northwestern is great. One of my student played on the women's team when Todd Martin was playing there. Awesome academic reputation and is in a great, great city. I have lived in Chicago and surround suburb. It is an incredible city. Think of it as a *******ern version of New York. The city is very clean.

pricey_aus
08-05-2009, 03:42 AM
Northwestern is great. One of my student played on the women's team when Todd Martin was playing there. Awesome academic reputation and is in a great, great city. I have lived in Chicago and surround suburb. It is an incredible city. Think of it as a *******ern version of New York. The city is very clean.

Yeah, Northwestern looks great. I'm just worried you know because I would love to go to Northwestern...but its just my grades. They are alright but I get mostly C+'s to B's, which I dont think is good enough to go there. But yeah, my uncle lived in Chicago for 6 years before moving back to Australia and says its great. I'm also pretty interested in U-Wash, Seattle looks like a good city aswell.

ClarkC
08-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Yeah, Northwestern looks great. I'm just worried you know because I would love to go to Northwestern...but its just my grades. They are alright but I get mostly C+'s to B's, which I don't think is good enough to go there. But yeah, my uncle lived in Chicago for 6 years before moving back to Australia and says its great. I'm also pretty interested in U-Wash, Seattle looks like a good city as well.

With your grades, you better look at schools where you will play about #4 or better as a freshman, and the coach really wants you there. A school where you will have to fight for the #6 spot as a freshman, and hope to work your way up over the years, might have a tougher time getting you admitted in the first place.

Maybe I am wrong. Grade inflation is rampant in American education, from 1st grade through college. Maybe that is not the case in Australia and the admissions staff at American colleges are aware of that.

arunstennis
08-06-2009, 10:08 AM
just want to rant lol i would never go to a college south of virginia or north of florida, i say go with northwestern great school!!!

pricey_aus
08-06-2009, 01:56 PM
With your grades, you better look at schools where you will play about #4 or better as a freshman, and the coach really wants you there. A school where you will have to fight for the #6 spot as a freshman, and hope to work your way up over the years, might have a tougher time getting you admitted in the first place.

Maybe I am wrong. Grade inflation is rampant in American education, from 1st grade through college. Maybe that is not the case in Australia and the admissions staff at American colleges are aware of that.

Yeah. I agree with you there. I hope to play about 4 for my first year, but Washingtons roster is pretty big and I am sure they are all great players, I do not know where I would play. I have still got a nearly 2 years before I plan to come to college so I have plenty of time to improve, so hopefully I could get to a good university and find a spot on the team in my freshman year.

If I got offers from both Northwestern and Washington, I have no idea what I would do, haha.

stanfordtennis alum
08-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Yeah. I agree with you there. I hope to play about 4 for my first year, but Washingtons roster is pretty big and I am sure they are all great players, I do not know where I would play. I have still got a nearly 2 years before I plan to come to college so I have plenty of time to improve, so hopefully I could get to a good university and find a spot on the team in my freshman year.

If I got offers from both Northwestern and Washington, I have no idea what I would do, haha.

go to northwestern.. much better location, school and they have a very good coach, i'm very good friends with 3 of the guys on their team

pricey_aus
08-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Much better? I thought Seattle looked alright...But yeah. Northwestern is definetly up there. The coach from Louisville is also interested in me.

I am just worried about Northwestern and the level of work that they do. I am not the smartest guy but I get by in High School, and if I go to one of the best schools America has to offer I might fall behind.

arunstennis
08-07-2009, 05:02 AM
no don't go there, i know from a close friend of ours whose son was smart and amazing at tennis he went to davidson and fell out of school because he couldn't keep up, i would say as a homer look at cleveland state since they have an up and coming tennis team

pricey_aus
08-07-2009, 10:32 PM
no don't go there, i know from a close friend of ours whose son was smart and amazing at tennis he went to davidson and fell out of school because he couldn't keep up, i would say as a homer look at cleveland state since they have an up and coming tennis team

Okay, I have no idea what that has got to do with anything, but thanks for the advice. :-?

tennisjon
09-05-2009, 01:15 PM
I went to University of Delaware in Newark, DE. Its about 16000 students, D1, very good academics, a great coach, and tons of fun. I coach D3 in the north, so I am not familiar with those campuses and coaches. I can say, though, take a look at the size of the town because small towns and rural areas can make traveling a real pain. I loved Delaware because it was a real college town in a suburban area less than an hour from Philadelphia and Baltimore.

ttbrowne
09-05-2009, 07:30 PM
I used to live in Wilmington and loved the place.

tennisjon
09-06-2009, 06:09 AM
Wilmington, Delaware or North Carolina?

stanfordtennis alum
09-06-2009, 02:41 PM
^he is probably referring to wilmington, delaware

hewitt20
11-24-2009, 12:48 AM
erskin is in my cofferance and they finshed seventh i play for lees mecrea when i the guys their are really cool and they are solid we played unca as well they are a good team they played us close we only beat them 4 3 and the guys are cool you should check us out

tennismom42
11-24-2009, 06:43 AM
erskin is in my cofferance and they finshed seventh i play for lees mecrea when i the guys their are really cool and they are solid we played unca as well they are a good team they played us close we only beat them 4 3 and the guys are cool you should check us outWhat did you do, Hewitt20? Look at this thread on your phone or Blackberry and then text message a response?!

I hope you write better than this in your term papers. I could barely understand what you wrote.

ClarkC
11-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Looks like the original poster committed to Liberty during the November signing week. Congratulations, Cameron. Make the most of it!

hewitt20
12-14-2009, 07:12 PM
yea I was in class

ddemetrius456
12-28-2009, 09:35 PM
University of North Carolina at Charlotte is good one.:|

ttbrowne
12-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Guys, UNC Wilmington is in Wilmington, North Carolina.
Happening place. Great university on the coast. Big film studio there (I was in a couple of films). Great seafood! Great bars downtown on the waterfront too.

MC10S
01-18-2010, 11:20 AM
Erskine and Lander used to have top tier programs back in the 90's.

I had a teammate who transferred from Erskine because of a family situation. He was a great player for us, but a #4 for them.

west coast 2 hander
01-21-2010, 02:02 PM
You should make a list of things you are looking for in a school. It is hard to tell what your level/ranking is. Most of those schools are lower to mid D1 and you will need to be a pretty highly ranked player to make the team. Make a video and start talking to the coaches/visit the schools.