PDA

View Full Version : When does a coach have to notify you about cancelling/decreasing your scholarship?

captain kirk
06-28-2009, 03:51 AM
I play at a DII school and tennis scholarship money is scarce. We already have 5 international players receiving scholarships and we're getting 2 more international kids this fall. I'm an international student too and studying in the US would be unimaginable without the scholarship, and being that I'm back home for the summer and don't communicate with my coach often, I don't want to come back to school and get dumped by the coach because he gave my money away. So, according to some kind of rules or common sense, when should a coach tell you that he will be pulling or decreasing your scholarship?

I'm not saying that he'll do it, but I'm just curious because stuff like this happens...

Thanks!

slice bh compliment
06-28-2009, 04:11 AM
You ought to email him or call him. Keep in touch with him. Most coaches and players did that, long before the age of email and facebook/twitter, etc.

He's probably reading this, Kirk.

captain kirk
06-28-2009, 06:01 AM
Even though I doubt that he's reading this and that he knows my identity, I still didn't say anything bad about him or the team, I was just asking a general question. Common human courtesy tells me that he should tell me (or anyone for that matter) a couple of months in advance so I can plan what to do if something like that ever happens

Thanks for your reply though...

slice bh compliment
06-28-2009, 06:07 AM
Yes, Kirk, common human courtesy. Absolutely, I'm with you.

Of course you did not say anything bad. However...if I were Coach, I might think it's odd that you went to an internet forum rather than coming straight to me, your Coach.

If you deserve the scholarship money, you're set. If not, and you feel insecure about it, pray that he is professional enough to communicate with you.
If you have doubts, I think you ought to be professional enough to communicate with him.

captain kirk
06-28-2009, 06:11 AM
I did email him just to see how he was and stuff, I didn't want to mention any scholarship stuff because the coach and I are pretty good friends...

I guess your reasoning does have sense, I was just curious if anybody had experienced something like this

I was more interested in other people's experiences (if any)

slice bh compliment
06-28-2009, 06:19 AM
My experience is that the coach and the AD do this sort of thing together, and that they handle it professionally at the beginning of summer, right after finals in May.

I played at a small DI school with a great coach. This happened to one of my teammates who had poor grades, niggling injuries and questionable work ethic syndrome (QWES).

duusoo
06-28-2009, 06:49 AM
I played D1, Big Ten in the 70s. I had thought, maybe I'm wrong, that it can't be taken away or dropped unless you quit the team, or wound up on academic probation for two quarters. It was a full four years.

stanfordtennis alum
06-28-2009, 12:31 PM
When i played for stanford, we had meetings at the end of the year and discussed our scholarships for the following years.. scholarships are for 1 year and can alter based on your performance

tennismom42
06-28-2009, 07:59 PM
friends? Are you kidding?! He's got to run a program. It must pang him terribly to have friends on the team. My grandmother's generation had a saying, "friendships & relationships make for poor business sailing ships." Take care of your own business.

Take a look at your last contract. What is the date range on the contract?

If you're worried, contact your coach today!

captain kirk
06-29-2009, 12:49 AM
friends? Are you kidding?! He's got to run a program. It must pang him terribly to have friends on the team. My grandmother's generation had a saying, "friendships & relationships make for poor business sailing ships." Take care of your own business.

Take a look at your last contract. What is the date range on the contract?

If you're worried, contact your coach today!

I think that your thinking is too harsh even though there is some truth in what you say. However, the coach-player varies from school to school. We're a pretty small school and people aren't really fighting to be on the tennis team if you know what I mean. Second, the whole team (not only me) is pretty close with the coach. We spend 4-5 hours everyday together, we go to his house for dinners etc. So it's not what you think it is really...

Anyway, thanks for your replies, I've already contacted my coach and I'll see what he says