PDA

View Full Version : tennis in vancouver???

tom-selleck
03-25-2005, 07:31 AM
coming out to vancouver for a month and might move out there.

what's the tennis scene like?? i used to live there.

i know it's not like toronto where there are community clubs which are great....... are there decent number of affordable private clubs in vancouver???

also, just looking for people to play with? i know there are definitely alot of really nice public courts in vancouver but not alot of organization at that level.... are the public courts crowded at nice locations? kits/horseshoe bay/stanley park etc... i assume yes.

takeuchi
03-25-2005, 09:47 AM
Hmmm i'm relatively new to the tennis scene and i live just outside of vancouver so i'm not sure what the courts are like in vancouver. Its been fairly sunny out lately so i've noticed a lot more people on the courts. I would imagine most of those courts would be quite busy. I think there are some clubs around but not a whole lot. I'm looking at joining one soon to find some worthy opponents.

The biggest tournament around here i believe is the stanley park open in july but you probably already know that.

tennis isn't really huge out here. I believe UBC and SFU only have tennis clubs, no serious competitive tennis:(. lacrosse and hockey are probably the bigger sports around.

what level are you? maybe i could play you hahah. When you coming out? sorry i couldn't be of more help.

goober
05-01-2005, 04:51 PM
I am coming out for vacation this summer for just a week . If you guys are around may be we can hit a few. :D I will probably bring one racquet. Or if you have any suggestions of where to play....

montx
05-02-2005, 08:09 AM
I might be out in Vancouver too, mind if i join in?

matchpoints
05-11-2005, 04:11 PM
me too. is tennis really not that big there? I mean, given the weather compared to Toronto or other parts of Canada, I'm surprised.

I'm looking forward to moving there soon but if tennis isn't great then i might change my plan. I'm looking for a teaching pro job :)

tom-selleck
05-11-2005, 06:34 PM
me too. is tennis really not that big there? I mean, given the weather compared to Toronto or other parts of Canada, I'm surprised.)

toronto has turned alot of its public courts into community clubs where you pay a small-medium user fee for the season......... makes it alot better in terms of meeting people to rally with/play against. and they have A/B/C tournaments etc.

tom-selleck
05-11-2005, 06:45 PM
me too. is tennis really not that big there? I mean, given the weather compared to Toronto or other parts of Canada, I'm surprised.

I'm looking forward to moving there soon but if tennis isn't great then i might change my plan. I'm looking for a teaching pro job :)

hi matchpoints, i'm a vancouver native but haven't lived there for a few years.

i can at least name five pre-eminant private tennis clubs in vancouver. 1) hollyburn - very, very nice location, they played the federation cup there a long time ago, my friend chatted up steffi graf on a bench for 5 minutes, i was impressed.; 2) north shore winter club (grant connell learned there); 3) jericho (very, very nice location, they play the women's minor tour event there); 4) grant connell has a club in north vancouver; 5) vancouver lawn (i think that's what it's called)..... and there are more, and i think because vancouver doesn't have community clubs that i think there are some affordable low level private clubs (i.e. simple clubhouse and some courts, which is more than fine for me).

stanley park is probably the best urban park in north american (sorry new york and san francisco) and has great public courts and maybe the biggest public tennis tournament in the world (not sure about that)

one thing about vancouver is that the public transit system isn't that convenient and the city is a really strange shape due to the huge harbour/inlet in middle of the city.

if you can get a job out there, in time you might want to look into helping the city of vancouver (or neighbouring municipalities) to organize some clinics and ladder systems/tournaments at its numerous public courts....

i'm thinking of moving back to vancouver but afraid i won't know anyone to play with.

matchpoints
05-11-2005, 10:20 PM
hi matchpoints, i'm a vancouver native but haven't lived there for a few years.

i can at least name five pre-eminant private tennis clubs in vancouver. 1) hollyburn - very, very nice location, they played the federation cup there a long time ago, my friend chatted up steffi graf on a bench for 5 minutes, i was impressed.; 2) north shore winter club (grant connell learned there); 3) jericho (very, very nice location, they play the women's minor tour event there); 4) grant connell has a club in north vancouver; 5) vancouver lawn (i think that's what it's called)..... and there are more, and i think because vancouver doesn't have community clubs that i think there are some affordable low level private clubs (i.e. simple clubhouse and some courts, which is more than fine for me).

stanley park is probably the best urban park in north american (sorry new york and san francisco) and has great public courts and maybe the biggest public tennis tournament in the world (not sure about that)

one thing about vancouver is that the public transit system isn't that convenient and the city is a really strange shape due to the huge harbour/inlet in middle of the city.

if you can get a job out there, in time you might want to look into helping the city of vancouver (or neighbouring municipalities) to organize some clinics and ladder systems/tournaments at its numerous public courts....

i'm thinking of moving back to vancouver but afraid i won't know anyone to play with.

Thanks for the valuable info. If I get a job there, you bet i'm going to increase tennis awareness. I'm actually planning on getting my USPTA asap. Is that even worthwhile in Canada or is there a different system there ?

montx
05-11-2005, 10:35 PM
who knows we might all meet up there.

Datacipher
05-11-2005, 11:20 PM

Yes there are more and don't forget the People's Courts, they're doing some good work with their juniors. Had some good players at a junior tournament I helped out with not long ago.

takeuchi
05-12-2005, 11:30 AM
whoaa Peoples Courts. I live by there...sorta. I sometimes play there at the outside courts because i am cheap/a student.

Were you visiting datacipher? or where are you from?

goober
07-28-2005, 10:47 PM
just got back from vacation there last week. Nice place to visit :D

Didn't really get too much a handle on the tennis scene. Drove by a set of 4 courts in Richmond on a perfect sunny afternoon and nobody was on them. Another afternoon (again with perfect weather) I walked around UBC campus because I was checking out the First Nation's museum. I came cross a bunch of courts that were all being used but the level of tennis looked around 2.5-3.0. I guess all the better player play in clubs or something.

tom-selleck
07-29-2005, 11:12 AM
just got back from vacation there last week. Nice place to visit :D

Didn't really get too much a handle on the tennis scene. Drove by a set of 4 courts in Richmond on a perfect sunny afternoon and nobody was on them. Another afternoon (again with perfect weather) I walked around UBC campus because I was checking out the First Nation's museum. I came cross a bunch of courts that were all being used but the level of tennis looked around 2.5-3.0. I guess all the better player play in clubs or something.

stanley park has some of the best public courts in the world... very, very busy!

goober
07-29-2005, 11:23 AM
stanley park has some of the best public courts in the world... very, very busy!

I went to Stanley park but the park is so huge that I must of missed them. We only spent one afternoon there and just kind of walked around saw the totem poles and the Aquarium for the kids.

tom-selleck
07-29-2005, 11:31 AM
I went to Stanley park but the park is so huge that I must of missed them. We only spent one afternoon there and just kind of walked around saw the totem poles and the Aquarium for the kids.

other side of the park near english bay... great courts to play at, but you didn't miss anything by not seeing them... from memory, nice courts at kitsilano beach too....

Osteo UK
02-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Hi folks,

I am flying in/out Vancouver from 23rd March to 1st April. Anyone recommend somewhere to get a good couple of hits without too much hassle? I know where most of the public courts are and will be back in Kitsilano.

I am guessing my rating is 3.5, but who knows? I could be a 3.0 or 4.0 based on some of the players I saw in BC in the past.

Also I am potentially immigrated by the summer and I know that good, organised tennis is not easy to find in Van unless you are loaded. Any suggestions of regular locations that are affordable to mere mortals?

Marc