PDA

View Full Version : Tennis camps in europe

ribaroff
03-25-2005, 12:18 PM
I'm looking for a week of tennis camp in Europe with my children ages 10 and 13...any suggestions? price no object....

crosscourt
03-30-2005, 06:06 AM
There is a Peter Burwash camp at Stanglwirt in Austria that I have been to that is very good. The coaches are all english speaking (some have english as a first language -- there are Irish, South African and Australian coaches, as well as anglophone Czechs and Germans) and the standard of tuition is pretty good, though it could do with video analysis. You play on clay courts outside, or artificial clay courts indoors if the weather is poor. It's at altitude, which takes a day to adjust to, but the quid pro quo is that the scenery is fantastic -- the courts are in alpine meadows beneath snow capped mountains. The hotel is family orientated, with lots of different types of accommodation. The food is wholesome. There is also a spa and massage etc, and riding, walking or whatever you want to do (outside) when you aren't playing tennis. The hotel can arrange a transfer from Munich airport. Book your tuition in advance. There is a Stanglwirt website.

Otherwise, places like La Manga and Vale de Lobo have good reputations. If you go to the Algarve you have a choice of places to stay -- Quinta do Lago has a nice family hotel -- and can still take a course at Vale de Lobo (I think). I think that Jonathan Markson has a website with several locations. I'm plugging Stanglwirt because I have been there and it's a bit different.

Hope this helps.

cc

Marius_Hancu
03-30-2005, 06:40 AM
Academies in Spain:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=44609

crosscourt
03-30-2005, 08:10 AM
The places that Tricky Nicky talks about aren't like La Manga or Stanglwirt. They are full time academies that offer week long trips in the summer. La Manga or Stanglwirt are more recreational.

cc

Jonnyf
03-30-2005, 11:01 AM
barry Cowan (or something like that) tennis camp in London

Marius_Hancu
03-30-2005, 03:11 PM
I'd suggest the Czech Republic. Never been there, but they seem to have outstanding coaches and a lot of tradition.

Perhaps:
http://www.juniortennis.cz/camps.htm

Costagirl
03-07-2013, 05:54 AM
I'm looking for a week of tennis camp in Europe with my children ages 10 and 13...any suggestions? price no object....

Ha! Price no object... Love that...pure honesty. And yes, Barcelona has tremendous tennis...and Jofre Porta on Mallorca is incredible. He runs a high end (training not price) boarding / day academy there with great competition. Parents send kids to Jofre for the sole intent to play pro tennis one day. Whether or not that is meant to be is another story!

Costagirl
03-07-2013, 05:56 AM
The places that Tricky Nicky talks about aren't like La Manga or Stanglwirt. They are full time academies that offer week long trips in the summer. La Manga or Stanglwirt are more recreational.

cc

correct a mundo!!! La Manga is like a playground of recreation..nothing wrong with that..but you can do week longers with more exceptional coaching at the same price or similar in Spain. La Manga is a typical resort...not that there's anything wrong with that :)

worldtennis
07-05-2014, 03:21 PM
There is a Peter Burwash camp at Stanglwirt in Austria that I have been to that is very good. The coaches are all english speaking (some have english as a first language -- there are Irish, South African and Australian coaches, as well as anglophone Czechs and Germans) and the standard of tuition is pretty good, though it could do with video analysis. You play on clay courts outside, or artificial clay courts indoors if the weather is poor. It's at altitude, which takes a day to adjust to, but the quid pro quo is that the scenery is fantastic -- the courts are in alpine meadows beneath snow capped mountains. The hotel is family orientated, with lots of different types of accommodation. The food is wholesome. There is also a spa and massage etc, and riding, walking or whatever you want to do (outside) when you aren't playing tennis. The hotel can arrange a transfer from Munich airport. Book your tuition in advance. There is a Stanglwirt website.

Otherwise, places like La Manga and Vale de Lobo have good reputations. If you go to the Algarve you have a choice of places to stay -- Quinta do Lago has a nice family hotel -- and can still take a course at Vale de Lobo (I think). I think that Jonathan Markson has a website with several locations. I'm plugging Stanglwirt because I have been there and it's a bit different.

Hope this helps.

cc

I was hoping someone mentioned something new to this post since itís so old. I was thinking of going to this but not for recreational tennis and I know Peter Burwash program are just that. Well, I like the tip about the altitude. Anyone know how long PBI has had this property?
:confused:

siljoz
07-06-2014, 01:22 AM
Elite Tennis Academy www.elitennis.com We spent a few days at the Elite Tennis Academy with our son aged 15 who plays quite good. Our experience was extremely good. Enrique is observant, so his coaching is adapted to what the individual player needs. Many of his drills are unique and we found them very, very helpful.

CivicLx
07-07-2014, 07:58 PM

cc

That place, with the scenery they have, looks freaking epic:)

Thud and blunder
07-08-2014, 08:51 AM
Can confirm, one of my favourite places in the world. Hope to get back there this summer.

But yeah, it's pretty recreational - not a place for hardcore training.

CivicLx
07-08-2014, 05:01 PM
Can confirm, one of my favourite places in the world. Hope to get back there this summer.

But yeah, it's pretty recreational - not a place for hardcore training.

Is this Stanglwirt you're talking about?