PDA

View Full Version : Has any been to Saddlebrook? Any comments?

tominh8r
03-25-2005, 02:32 PM
I want to go to the week long adult camp this summer. Does anyone have anything positive or negative to say about Saddlebrook? I know it's for serious tennis players and that's really why I want to go there instead of Newk's even though that's closer for me.

Thanks,

Tom

fedex27
03-25-2005, 03:01 PM
i went for a week during break with my coach and 8 other kids for the junior program and i found it very productive and fun, well except for waking up at 6 every morning. request eugene as a pro

Geezer Guy
03-29-2005, 09:47 AM
When I was considering where to go, a friend recommended Saddlebrook very strongly. Said she'd been there twice and planned on going back. She said it really helped her game (she's a 4.0 adult) and she liked it a lot.

(For what it's worth, I eventually decided to go to Newk's, and am glad I did. Nothing against Saddlebrook at all - I just had a really great time at Newk's.)

matchpoints
04-04-2005, 02:14 AM
gstring21~
What was the program there like. Can you please describe the schedule and atmosphere when you get a chance. Thanks.

Smashlob
04-23-2005, 07:13 PM
I went there this last week, actually. This is a review from the JUNIOR program.
First, the schedule:
7:50-11-ish: Tennis
In between 11 and 12:50 is lunch.
12:50-3:30-ish: More Tennis.

There was no fitness, except for the first day. The food provided (for the juniors) is terrible, I suggest stocking up on food (You have a full kitchen.) This is excepting the breakfast, which is excellent.

The competition was below what I had expected, I was on the top court, and there were three kids who would get me a match beyond 6-2. (Two did not arrive until the end.) The day-to-day runner, Gurof (I am unsure of the spelling, and sure that this is wrong) is a bad judge of talent, talk to the pro on your court to talk to him if you feel like you should move up.

As far as coaching goes, for the most part it was excellent. I had one standout coach, Farook (I hope thats the correct name) this man helped my game more in one day than any coach I have ever had.

After the tennis, you will be exhausted, however, there are few activities; with virtually nothing to do on the resort, there was only one trip to the supermarket at the beginning, and a trip to the mall towards the end.

If anyone has any questions, or anything I forgot to cover, please leave a follow-up post.

GRANITECHIEF
04-26-2005, 10:47 AM
I went there the week before the first hurricane hit last year, whew!! It was awesome and i can't wait to go back. It was also very challenging and physical with the humidity and 6+ hours/day of instruction/drilling. I really learned a bunch, lots of subtle technique improvements.

Groups of 4 per court/instructor at as close as possible of ability. I was in the top group and there was a scrappy western forehand claycourter, and old school solid flat baller and a powerful rippin brit that played S/V grass court style w/ big groundies. Really diverse group to practice with. Instructor was Randy Brooke and he was absolutely awesome. It looked like the other instructors were very good as well.

It was fun to play on all grand slam surface types, accomodations were above average, super cool pool, really good breakfast buffet, good dinner place too. I met JCAP's pop and chatted for a while.

I don't play golf, but the courses looked awesome. Saw some alligators, cool!

If you go there, be ready to work and play tennis hard. After all, that's what it takes if you want to improve.

tominh8r
04-27-2005, 11:52 PM
What did you do mostly during the tennis time? Was it just drills/drills/and more drills or was it instructional talking/demonstrating or was it match play with strategical talks in between points?

What is your ability level? Rate yourself on the USTA rating system 3.0-5.5?

And also, did you get a video analysis of your strokes?

Thanks for your response and reply.

Tom

moosryan
04-28-2005, 02:20 PM
i'm a 4.5, though i was probably a 4.0 when i was there. i didn't do any video analysis. it was a good bit of everything...although not a ton of matchplay with instruction. the matchplay was mostly you had an option to stay after the classes ended for extra friendlies. For me it was mostly drilling with comments on my strokes (i had a really great coach), and then little games and stuff. they do work you hard though. they also pull you out of classes for a 45 minutes-1 hour fitness thing. all that said, i went there with my family and did the kids training program (i was 14 at the time), and it was an awsome week. my 17 yr old brother also loved it.