PDA

View Full Version : GAMMA 5003 USERS please reply

drop shot
04-07-2004, 08:51 AM
What are some of the tips and tricks to the machine? Have any of you had any problems with it? Also what types of problems are most likely to occur. The only thing that I have found so far is that the track that the tensioner rolls along seems to need oiling. I know that you aren't supposed to oil them but the tensioner seems to drag in spots and seems as it could roll along a bit smoother than it does. Any ideas or suggestions?

cantaloupe
04-07-2004, 09:07 AM
not so much on the 5003, but on the 6004 with the suspension mounting, the mounts are really high, so that when the clamps reach up to clamp the string, there's not a lot of of the round part of the clamp that still sits in the tube. Over time this makes the clamp loose, and if you don't tigten the base then the clamp starts to move.

Also be aware of the half v side supports, because they're a bit bit and bulky, sometimes it/s hard to get the string under them, Gamma should consider getting the v shaped side supports, they have much more room.

The metal clamps are the best i've ever used, it's even better than the clamps on the star 3 machines, they really require minimum strength to hold the string, although the pins inside do have a tendency to just snap after a few months, and they're not replaceable.

Audiodude
04-07-2004, 10:36 AM
I personally avoid using the roller. I simply lay the string across the top of the roller. I can't see any beneift to using it. It even seems to cause some multis to fray prematurely. Other than that mine has been flawless. As cantaloupe stated, the metal clamps are simply the best.

drop shot
04-07-2004, 08:12 PM
Funny that you mentioned the roller cause I meant to say in my post that I have found it easier to run the string under the roller. I am not sure if this is correct or not. I was thinking of upgrading to the all metal quick action clamps until I saw what ATS wanted for them!! Another question, The bolt that serves as the locking mechanism is gone off of my machine. Is there any place to get a replacement? Or is their a suitable alternative that I could pick up at a Lowe's or Home Depot? I spoke with Jim at Tennismachines.com and he suggested that I clean out the track that the tensioner rolls on. So I got a canister of compressed air sprayed it (It was amazing how much crap I got out from between the gear teeth, including some minuet particels of metal savings!) I then sprayed a tiny bit of WD 40 on the teeth and brushed it out with a wire brush. Then I rinsed it with alcohol and then dried in between each gear teeth. It sems to be a bit better now. The machine is barely a year old and it seemed strange that itr would be rolling along the track roughly so soon. Do you calibrate your machine very often?

Gaines Hillix
04-08-2004, 04:21 AM
drop shot, it is amazing how much dust, lint, hair, etc. can settle on something in a years time. One thing you might consider is getting a cover for your machine or just putting a cheap plastic tarp over it. Anyway, I'd give ATS or Gamma a call on the missing part. I check the calibration on my machine every 20-25 racquets. One should also do this whenever the machine is moved or when large changes in tension are made such as when switching from a tennis racquet to a badminton racquet back to tennis. I also clean my clamps at the same interval(or sooner if I notice any slippage).

drop shot
04-08-2004, 10:10 PM
Many thanks for your insight! I may give gamma a call tomorrow about the turntable wingnut break thing. Lastly, will the gamma clamps, the all metal ones with the quick action fit on my machine? Has anyone ever upgraded to these from the standard ones that came with the machine? They claim to be even faster than the originals but don't look much different by design. Anyone know how they are faster?

Audiodude
04-09-2004, 06:10 AM
I owned an STII with the composite clamps prior to owning the 5003 with the new metal clamps. I wouldn't say the metal clamps are faster. They do require slightly less effort to close, but both clamps work very well. If I had a 5003 with the composite clamps, I wouldn't spend the money to upgrade to the metal clamps. Your results aren't going to improve and I can't imagine you'll save any time.

cantaloupe
04-09-2004, 04:51 PM
a note about the roller,

when babolat came out with the roller on the star 3 machines they claimed that the roller helped aleviate the crushing effect of the string by like 60%, ive noticed this difference and its true, most noticeable on gut strings.

so even though it may be cumbersome to use, it does have its benefits

matchpoints
04-10-2004, 11:57 AM
is the 5003 similar to this machine http://www.alphatennis.com/bludc.html I'm particularly interested in the base of the clamps locking to the turn table. The alpha machine require very little effort to turn that switch thing to lock to the base.

I almost bought the 5003 until last week i got access to that above mentioned Alpha machine. I still rather have my own just so I can take it to tournaments and string at night.

The clamps on the alpha were very easy to use and I was very confident with them even on gut string. They dont bite into the string at all.

On the mounting, can someone please tell me how tight I should have the side arms and the throat and head supports against the racquet and in which order?

Thanks a bunch.

Gaines Hillix
04-10-2004, 03:20 PM
matchpoints, the Gamma 5003 and the Alpha Blu DC are similar designs, but the Blu DC is probably more comparable to the Gamma 6004. I agree that the Alpha quick action swivel clamps are very good. I have their newest model called the Apex and I'm very happy with it. Send me an email and I can give you a contact at Alpha if you'd like, ghillix@comcast.net .

Rafter4ever
12-15-2004, 12:58 PM
Gaines,

Can you briefly described the spring action and the swivel clamps on your alpha-axis pro. I am thinking about purchasing a BLU-DC or the Axis pro.

Thanks

Gaines Hillix
12-16-2004, 04:10 AM
The bases only take about 1/8 of a turn to lock in. This is called "quick action." This is also adjustable via a set screw in the base of the clamp. They hold well and do not have much drawback. They are similar in design to the Babolat Star 3 clamps. The clamp heads are easily adjustable via a thumb wheel and the teeth are diamond dusted. The jaws are parallel so you never have an issue with whether you clamp off with the tips of the teeth or further down in the jaws. I would recommend the BLU-DC or Apex model.