PDA

View Full Version : Flawed Ranking System

firstserve
07-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that the national rankings system is flawed. It seems that all the players who have the money to travel to weak sections to accumulate points have the higher ranking when in fact, the kids whose families are poor don't even stand a chance in the system but can woop on most of the ranked kids who can afford to travel. When will the USTA ever realize that the system of who you beat and not how many places you go to pick up easy points should be used? It seems as if tournament directors enjoy this since they see more revenue from the players.

Orly?yarly!nowai!
07-02-2009, 01:48 AM
With every system there will be errors and things that dont seem right. My last year in 18s is when the system was changed. All in all it helps players in the 15-50 range (depending on the sections ofcourse).

Prevously players would play in the first 3 months, get a 34-2 record, and then stop playing, and because they were not playing, no one could pass them and claim the spot ( or it would take the rest of the 9 months to do so and sec. and end. would have passed by then)

Now it forces players to play year round, sure you can do the same thing as before, but if you get a 30+ win record early in the year, it maybe challanging to some to catch you in the rankings, but it is still doable.

Perhaps a system where you recive points per round, and a bonus ( in big enought draws) for knocking out a top (whatever) player aswell.

Tennis is an expensive sport, those with money will always have an advantage over those with out, and the same goes with the amount of time a family (members) can spend traveling around.

And...the whole traveling thing might have to do with what section you are in. While the souther and ******* might have a large area for a section, there are alot more tournaments around and more people. Its hard for players from the SW/Mountain/PNW region due to the distance between large cities.

So all in all, yes there are flaws, however, compaired to the old system, these flaws are much less of an issue that what was occuring in the past!

cmb
07-02-2009, 04:17 AM
The ranking system is flawed, the tournament system is flawed. if your a male And if your luckey enough to actually become a good player, u get to arrive in a university system which is flawed because of title 9! Then after the university you have a degree, but if you still want to keep playing and trying to improve your tennis, you arrive at another flawed system...trying to play futures but since the US is too big is costs so much money to travel and play futures. So since our tournament system is flawed you are screwed there too.

Hope you have alot of money to spend!!!

TennisCoachFLA
07-02-2009, 05:44 AM
With every system there will be errors and things that dont seem right. My last year in 18s is when the system was changed. All in all it helps players in the 15-50 range (depending on the sections ofcourse).

Prevously players would play in the first 3 months, get a 34-2 record, and then stop playing, and because they were not playing, no one could pass them and claim the spot ( or it would take the rest of the 9 months to do so and sec. and end. would have passed by then)

Now it forces players to play year round, sure you can do the same thing as before, but if you get a 30+ win record early in the year, it maybe challanging to some to catch you in the rankings, but it is still doable.

Perhaps a system where you recive points per round, and a bonus ( in big enought draws) for knocking out a top (whatever) player aswell.

Tennis is an expensive sport, those with money will always have an advantage over those with out, and the same goes with the amount of time a family (members) can spend traveling around.

And...the whole traveling thing might have to do with what section you are in. While the souther and ******* might have a large area for a section, there are alot more tournaments around and more people. Its hard for players from the SW/Mountain/PNW region due to the distance between large cities.

So all in all, yes there are flaws, however, compaired to the old system, these flaws are much less of an issue that what was occuring in the past!

Excellent post. In the end college coaches and scouts from IMG, etc. know the system is flawed and are open to looking at players who come to their attention without successfully having played the rankings game. There are ways for talented players to still get into the system.

Tom C
07-02-2009, 06:12 AM
Btw, the USTA system will be changing in a few years. I can't give details but it will be more of a system of earned advancement.

SoCalDominates
07-02-2009, 07:16 AM
I think the ranking system the SCTA uses in Socal is the most accurate. It's the only section not using a ppr system. Why cant they just use that for national? Unfortunately, Socal is changing to points next year though

firstserve
07-02-2009, 02:21 PM
The most recent example of this poor system is kosakowski who lives in Downey a very poor area and doesn't have the money to travel but wins the whole sectionals.

Orly?yarly!nowai!
07-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Thats LA right? I dont really feel bad for him. Socal around LA, there should be tons of tournaments within 2 hours or less on a weekly basis. Oh and its LA, its not like he needs money to hit at an indoor club.

SoCal10s
07-02-2009, 08:58 PM
The most recent example of this poor system is kosakowski who lives in Downey a very poor area and doesn't have the money to travel but wins the whole sectionals.

how do you see it as flawed,he's currently #2 in SoCal and before the sectionals started,he was top 10 already... I don't know if the Kosakowskis are tailer park poor,but they have what they need to excel.. there are tons of Nat'l tournaments in and around SoCal and tons of sectionals designated tournaments which are like level 3-5 Nats and DK Nat'l ranking is also good.. he went to Kalamazoo last year and did very good in the 16s too..

cmb
07-03-2009, 04:06 AM
[QUOTE=Tom C;3638140]Btw, the USTA system will be changing in a few years. I can't give details but it will be more of a system of earned advancement.[/QUOTE

it needs to be changed, however I wonder how they will actually change it, if they put everybody on one ranking list it will be a good change, but I doubt that they will make a change that is very helpful.
And I doubt they will restructure the tournament system, so in the end you will need to have a nice stack of cash to be able to play tournaments. And still be prepared to earn nothing.