PDA

View Full Version : Hot to play Old-Skool...

Classic
04-07-2004, 01:12 PM
I am pretty sure it involves lots of slice shots along with a one-handed backhand and serve+volley, but I had a few questions, lkie does old-skool play incorporate flatter shots on a baseline ralley or heavy topspinners? And please give some other specifications needed for an old-skool playing style...

THANKS!

joe sch
04-07-2004, 02:06 PM
To play oldschool tennis, you need to be able to play using volleying, slicing, chiping, dropping, charging and hitting flatter. This is most helpful when you are overmatched or your A-game is not upto par since you can change pace or probe for weaknesses in your opponent by using a combination of the above tactics. Very few can players can dominate from the baseline like Agassi has over his career so the players with the best arsenal of weapons have the best ability to beat superior opponents with alternate game plans. Even Andre has learned to play more old school tennis later in his career, ala Gilbert and winning ugly. He now plays more percentage tennis with different angles & pace.

Camilio Pascual
04-08-2004, 04:30 AM
To me old school was all court play and S&V the up and coming demon spawn of Jack Kramer that was going to ruin tennis. Now it is old skool. Time marches on and the game evolves.

Bungalo Bill
04-08-2004, 09:07 AM
I dont know about your guys, but I play "old school" tennis where emphasis is to play all court tennis. You need to have ALL the strokes down, including lobs!

But can we as a tennis community think of a better term? to me old school sounds...well...old. I will be 45 in July.

I have come up with the following terms:

1. Theory X generation

2. The Mod Squad

3. Classic tennis

LOL

Ash Doyle
04-08-2004, 10:10 AM
How 'bout "retro tennis"?

Since you've got 15 years on me Bungalo, I'll fill you in that "old-School" is hip youngster speak. :)

BTW, thanks for the movie file you sent the other week about forehand technique. Thanks.

predrag
04-08-2004, 11:09 AM

Since you've got 15 years on me Bungalo, I'll fill you in that "old-School" is hip youngster speak. :)

BTW, thanks for the movie file you sent the other week about forehand technique. Thanks.

I think that at 38 I can mediate and translate between you two :):)

BB can you shate that movie?

Regards, Predrag

kevhen
04-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Yeah, I equate "old school" tennis to wooden racquets, with lots of slicing and placing the ball all around the court. Then you have the S&V Era, and then the Topspin Era. The pro women still seem totally stuck in the the Topspin Era except for Justine who can slice it up. The men can hit topspin and slice on both sides as even Roddick will slice on both sides when he has too, but Topspin still does rule on the Men's side and going to net and slicing are just extra tools for the skilled craftsman.

Phil
04-08-2004, 09:12 PM
Bungalow Bill wrote:

I dont know about your guys, but I play "old school" tennis where emphasis is to play all court tennis. You need to have ALL the strokes down, including lobs!

But can we as a tennis community think of a better term? to me old school sounds...well...old. I will be 45 in July.

I have come up with the following terms:

1. Theory X generation

2. The Mod Squad

3. Classic tennis

LOL

#3, Classic Tennis works for me-that's what I've always called it. If you know what you're doing, it works-even today.

Bungalo Bill
04-09-2004, 02:11 PM

I think that at 38 I can mediate and translate between you two :):)

BB can you shate that movie?

Regards, Predrag

yes i can send it to you, just email me for it at usptapro@cox.net

joebedford
04-09-2004, 10:06 PM
Easy--hit a white ball with a wooden racquet. Don't forget to put your racquet back in the frame afterwards, and tighten the wing nuts. :wink: