PDA

View Full Version : Retail Vapors Have More Flywire?

JStar7
07-03-2009, 01:20 PM
http://bbs.tennis.com.cn/uploadFiles/2009-07/4_10113625_1.jpg

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Championship+Wimbledon+2009+Day+Seven+xzo_IoxHxj1l .jpg

compared to:

http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/ProductImages/NV6TWG.JPG

whats up with that? the ones Federer and Murray are wearing look less hideous because you can't totally see the flywire.

Toad
07-03-2009, 03:30 PM
I'm pretty sure it just looks that way because the player pictures aren't in the same lighting as the shoe picture, and the player pictures aren't a high enough resolution (or good angle in the Murray one) to clearly see the shoes. It hardly makes sense to have a different look to the pro version and retail version since the who point is to have the pros show the shoes off to market them.

JStar7
07-03-2009, 04:16 PM
I'm pretty sure it just looks that way because the player pictures aren't in the same lighting as the shoe picture, and the player pictures aren't a high enough resolution (or good angle in the Murray one) to clearly see the shoes. It hardly makes sense to have a different look to the pro version and retail version since the who point is to have the pros show the shoes off to market them.

Well said, but could you say the same for Nadal earlier this year with his Breathe Cage II's "PJ'd" as CourtBallistecs at the Oz Open?

Aeropro master
07-03-2009, 04:19 PM

Nadal's FO Courtballistics were different than the retail ones as well, they seemed to have more ankle support and they had a pink sole compared to black one on the retail ones.

Toad
07-03-2009, 05:29 PM
I'm not really familiar with Nike stuff, but the most logical reason to PJ a shoe is to just market the particular shoe they are PJing more...same as PJing rackets. Were the CourtBallistec 1.3's released around the time of the Australian Open? I think the Breathe Cage II's are older (not real sure though), so if it was a brand new shoe rather than a cosmetic change they would want to give it more air time. In the case of a PJ it still makes sense since they are trying to match cosmetics of a shoe to market it.

Regarding Nadal's shoe differences:
More ankle support isn't really a cosmetic difference in my opinion since it is more a customization of performance to the shoe...something akin to lead tape on rackets.

I don't know for sure, but were the Nadal shoe soles different, or were they just a different color? If the actual soles were different...like clay court specific soles than it makes some sense since again it was a performance customization. If the soles were clay court specific than the one reason I can think of to make them a different color than the retail would be to emphasize that the actual soles are different from the retail ones. Kind of a IF we sold these in a clay court variety this is what they would look like.

If only the color was different, then one possible reason is the pink is a softer/different material than the black, which would still be somewhat of a performance customization. If it was the same material just a different color than I have no idea, but we will never know. How many people really look at the soles of pros shoes anyways :P.

You have to keep in mind that Nike's number one priority will still be for Nadal, Fed, et al. to win, because if they don't their products will get less air time. If that means making small adjustments to the shoes that most people won't catch for performance benefits, so be it.

I am having a hard time finding a logical reason for the flywire being a lighter color in Fed and Murray's shoes though since that is purely cosmetic (clearly it is still in their shoes). Maybe someone with these shoes can take a picture of them playing in them...that would be a better comparison.

SempreSami
07-03-2009, 05:36 PM
From what I know of FlyWire, and the creasing on Federer's shoes, he's not wearing Vapours that have FlyWire.

featherlight
07-03-2009, 05:53 PM
i thought murray uses a retail version

SempreSami
07-03-2009, 06:00 PM
There isn't a retail Vapour with grass soles afaik.

Chase
07-03-2009, 06:53 PM
i don't think they wear the exact retail versions. if you look at federer's shoes, the uppers look a lot like soft leather. it looks less plasticky than the retail ones.

miniRafa386
07-03-2009, 08:03 PM
could it be that the gold flywire's interfere with wimbledon's all white policy? isnt it that clothing and shoes have to be 90% white? could that possibly break the 90% rule?

kike_valerin
07-04-2009, 07:27 AM
could it be that the gold flywire's interfere with wimbledon's all white policy? isnt it that clothing and shoes have to be 90% white? could that possibly break the 90% rule?

here is a better pic

http://i41.tinypic.com/2m3k08m.jpg

maximo
07-04-2009, 07:39 AM
There isn't a retail Vapour with grass soles afaik.

Yep, other pro's were wearing the exact same Vapors as Murray. So i reckon it was a special order from Nike by the pro's who wanted them.

BTW, Federer's does not use Flywire. from the pic above, you can clearly tell that the outer part is leather.

JStar7
07-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Yep, other pro's were wearing the exact same Vapors as Murray. So i reckon it was a special order from Nike by the pro's who wanted them.

BTW, Federer's does not use Flywire. from the pic above, you can clearly tell that the outer part is leather.

So Federer is wearing just the same material as the black retail Vapors except in White with Flywire painted on them?

robbie_mx
07-07-2009, 07:53 AM
Federer don't use Flywire technology. he don't need durability. he use only leather.

jrod
07-07-2009, 08:02 AM
Federer don't use Flywire technology. he don't need durability. he use only leather.

Flywire isn't about durability. It's supposed to provide excellent support in an ultra-lightweight package. Not sure they have achieved this yet....

Orion
07-07-2009, 08:08 AM
I think that is flywire and not leather. I bought Kobe Byant's B-ball shoe with Flywire and it is awful light to be as supportive as it is. The flywire bends weird and looks kinda bubbly after a few wears. Look how the side of the shoe is bubblng/buckling on the last pic posted.

The_Question
07-07-2009, 08:42 AM
What is this flywire made of? I have a pair of Vapor VI, and it looks like cotton threads to me...