PDA

View Full Version : Why do people keep complaining about lack of US talent?

sureshs
07-03-2009, 02:33 PM
From Wimbledon (Yahoo sports). And if I remember right, they did well in the last USO too, both junior boys and girls.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
BOYS’ FINAL: Jordan Cox of Duluth, Ga., reached the boys’ final at Wimbledon on Friday by beating pal Devin Britton of Jackson, Miss., 6-3, 6-7 (5), 16-14.

“Devin and I, we’re very good friends. We’re practically brothers, to be honest,” the 17-year-old Cox said. “It was tough to go out there and play each other today but, obviously, it was the semifinal of Wimbledon and we both wanted to win very badly.”

Cox was born in the United States, but his parents only recently became American citizens. His father, Richard, is from New Zealand, which he represented in under-21 cricket and rugby. His mother, Julie, was born in Zimbabwe but is South African.

In Sunday’s final, Cox will play Andrey Kuznetsov of Russia, who upset third-seeded Bernard Tomic of Australia 6-3, 7-6 (6).

“I don’t know much about him and I think he would say the same about me,” Cox said. “We did warm up one up together once this week.”

eeytennis
07-03-2009, 02:57 PM
From Wimbledon (Yahoo sports). And if I remember right, they did well in the last USO too, both junior boys and girls.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
BOYS’ FINAL: Jordan Cox of Duluth, Ga., reached the boys’ final at Wimbledon on Friday by beating pal Devin Britton of Jackson, Miss., 6-3, 6-7 (5), 16-14.

“Devin and I, we’re very good friends. We’re practically brothers, to be honest,” the 17-year-old Cox said. “It was tough to go out there and play each other today but, obviously, it was the semifinal of Wimbledon and we both wanted to win very badly.”

Cox was born in the United States, but his parents only recently became American citizens. His father, Richard, is from New Zealand, which he represented in under-21 cricket and rugby. His mother, Julie, was born in Zimbabwe but is South African.

In Sunday’s final, Cox will play Andrey Kuznetsov of Russia, who upset third-seeded Bernard Tomic of Australia 6-3, 7-6 (6).

“I don’t know much about him and I think he would say the same about me,” Cox said. “We did warm up one up together once this week.”

Because most US juniors have a real tough time making it in the pros.

SoCalDominates
07-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Because most US juniors have a real tough time making it in the pros.

Look at the US at Wimbledon. Both Ladies singles finalists, 1 Mens singles finalist, 1 Mens Doubles team finalist, 1 Womens doubles finalist, a Boys Singles finalist. Sounds pretty good to me? All we missed was Mixed and Girls Juniors. Not too bad if you ask me

sureshs
07-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Look at the US at Wimbledon. Both Ladies singles finalists, 1 Mens singles finalist, 1 Mens Doubles team finalist, 1 Womens doubles finalist, a Boys Singles finalist. Sounds pretty good to me? All we missed was Mixed and Girls Juniors. Not too bad if you ask me

Where did you get this news?

Guru
07-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Because Roddick is all the US has going for them
and it's been a while since he last won a Slam.

Roddick's a good player on his day
but he falls short at the elite level of the game.

sureshs
07-03-2009, 04:51 PM
I am talking about upcoming players

mrmo1115
07-03-2009, 04:55 PM
The fact is, even though American juniors are doing well, they haven't been transitioning well into the pro tour. For example, Donald Young. The latest junior to make it into the pro tour is Sam Querrey. We will just have to wait and see if players like Ryan Harrison and these two, Cox and Britton, will be able to make it onto the pro scene.

TennisCoachFLA
07-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Depends what you mean by talent. Top 100 or Grand Slam potential winners?

The Williams sisters and Roddick have represented the US for years now as the only US threats to win any majors. Blake's best days are behind him.

It remains to be seen who can take over as perrenial Grand Slam threats once they retire. There are not any young Americans knocking on the door of the top 10.

Oudin had a great Wimbledon and is very young...but I have seen her play a few times and I am not sold that she will peak at much more than a 20-40 range player.

Donald Young has won several Grand Slam juniors, showing how different that is from being a top 20 player. Cox...Britton....same deal, they can obviously compete for junior majors, but thats a long way from the big show.

So we don't really have any sure fire top talent, just some kids showing they can compete with the very best juniors. If thats what you mean by talent, than yes, we have loads of that.

eeytennis
07-05-2009, 04:12 PM

First of all, like TCF said, the Williams' sisters have been around for ages, and Roddick has been around for some time himself. There is no "new" talent at this point from the US who has the potential of being number 1 in the world. And as for the juniors successes at Wimbledon, the juniors is a whole other level below the pros.

TnsMan2
07-05-2009, 06:05 PM
First of all, like TCF said, the Williams' sisters have been around for ages, and Roddick has been around for some time himself. There is no "new" talent at this point from the US who has the potential of being number 1 in the world. And as for the juniors successes at Wimbledon, the juniors is a whole other level below the pros.

How much lower is junior tennis then the pro's because there was this little boy named Grigor and he was about 17 yrs old and he took Nadal 3 sets now i think that pretty good what do you think??

TennisCoachFLA
07-05-2009, 07:59 PM
How much lower is junior tennis then the pro's because there was this little boy named Grigor and he was about 17 yrs old and he took Nadal 3 sets now i think that pretty good what do you think??

Brad, you are a silly guy. You can find hundreds of examples of single matches where a top player struggled against a lesser pro or even junior player. The proof is doing it match after match after match to become #1 or # 10. The level between the top 10 and number 150 is night and day. The difference between winning junior Wimbledon and the last 2 years real men's Wimbledon finals is light years away.

Talk facts...actual top 10 pro players, not single matches where a player plays well.

eeytennis
07-06-2009, 05:32 AM

TCF makes another good point. There are sometimes upsets in tennis. it happens...But to add another point, A 10K Futures event recently came to the city i live in, and i got to see two former B18s number 1s (Buchanan and Klahn) play, and while both of them were very good tennis players, they lost in the 2nd and 3rd round respectively. And to think that this is a Futures event...nowheres near the level of Wimbledon says a lot about the state of American tennis right now.

TennisCoachFLA
07-06-2009, 06:27 AM
TCF makes another good point. There are sometimes upsets in tennis. it happens...But to add another point, A 10K Futures event recently came to the city i live in, and i got to see two former B18s number 1s (Buchanan and Klahn) play, and while both of them were very good tennis players, they lost in the 2nd and 3rd round respectively. And to think that this is a Futures event...nowheres near the level of Wimbledon says a lot about the state of American tennis right now.

Very true. Also, the top 5 men pretty rule the ATP world year after year.

Think about how rare the air is up there. Becoming top 5 in the world, with the entire world world training tennis players.

About 100 men in the world make solid livings at tennis. About 5 have shots at winning Grand Slams.

Fred
07-06-2009, 05:23 PM

Having some poor results in Futures at that age doesn't mean you don't have a future. And it's not as if those are our top two prospects. Ryan Harrison, Britton, and Domijan are pretty clearly the top three at this point (with Christian Harrison waiting in the wings). Ryan Harrison just won a Futures.

eeytennis
07-07-2009, 04:54 AM
Having some poor results in Futures at that age doesn't mean you don't have a future. And it's not as if those are our top two prospects. Ryan Harrison, Britton, and Domijan are pretty clearly the top three at this point (with Christian Harrison waiting in the wings). Ryan Harrison just won a Futures.

Buchanan and Klahn are 18 and 19 years old and while i don't take away from the accomplishments of any of these guys...winning a Futures is a good step, but does not really tell whether or not you are going to be a top pro.

Tennis_Bum
07-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Relative successes in junior don't translate to or guarantee successes at pro level. Look at Donald Young. Was he the most successful junior from the US recently?

I guess it's night and day between junior players and ATP circuit players.

SoCal10s
07-09-2009, 10:51 PM
everytime there's always a guy who brings in Donald Young,,, that guy used to be me but,I stopped ,he's already a has-been... at 19.. give the kid a break .. he's still 19...

yonexxx
07-09-2009, 11:44 PM
evan king is better then buchannan i thought