PDA

View Full Version : 14 year old...college tennis future?

Bab01At
07-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Hi,

I'm this girls coach, she is a year older now, just starting to play ITF tournaments, top 30 nationally...

She can definitely make a good living on the tour...but what about college? Maybe good enough for Stanford?
What do you think?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7GgKN05KuE
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdaX7B1mnes&feature=related
www.youtube.com/watch?v=97nSInia_Lc&feature=related
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPLKUarXYu8&feature=related
www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2EvuPxD7o4&feature=related

Babs.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
07-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Very whippy forehand, very little knee bend off both wings, but the serve looks alright. I don't think she can make Stanford.

mcutilize
07-03-2009, 06:51 PM
she needs to bend

Bab01At
07-04-2009, 06:05 AM
That's something we worked on in that week...
I'll try and post a more recent video when we go to an ITF next week.
She was also growing at the time (a total of 6cm) and had a little discomfort in her hamstrings and knees.

Babs.

killR4hand
07-04-2009, 07:59 AM
Good enough to make it at Stanford is not a matter of opinion but a matter of ranking. Based on Stanford's last 2 recruits Stacey Tan (WTA high 638 ) and Mallory Burdette (ITF 26) an ITF ranking inside the top 30 or WTA ranking inside the top 650 should get her in contention for a Stanford scholarship.

I've heard the yearly travel costs for playing a full WTA schedule is around $50,000. So she would need to probably break into the WTA top 75 to make a good living on the tour. But most WTA top 75 players were top 10 ITF and turned pro by age 16.

AndrewD
07-04-2009, 08:18 AM
I don't think she can make Stanford.

Based on what? Without seeing the girl's results you can't make anything resembling an intelligent assessment of her chances.

To the OP - Stanford do not, typically, recruit from overseas. If your player isn't American then the chances of playing at Stanford are greatly reduced, regardless of whether she's good enough or not.