PDA

View Full Version : How come companies don't make mid or high tennis shoes?

garyfiddler
07-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Tennis players seem to move from side to side a lot too.

phucng_10
07-03-2009, 06:39 PM
I think mid/high shoes are a joke. No offense, but if any company would make them specifically designed for tennis, I definitely wouldn't waste my money to buy it.

Wild Ace
07-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Agreed. As fashionable as the shoulder pads. Thank goodness that they are gone, Nike. Clunky '80s-early 90s.

royer
07-03-2009, 07:56 PM

Prince does (or did) make a mid shoe. A guy at our club who had ankle problems used to wear them. Haven't seen him (or them {the shoes}) in a while, so I don't know if Prince is still making 'em.

martini1
07-03-2009, 09:52 PM
There were some old tennis shoes that are mid.

Just wear basketball shoes. They serve the purpose.

Capt. Willie
07-03-2009, 11:48 PM
There is a mid version of the Barricade II. http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageMSADIDAS-AB2MID.html

ag200boy
07-04-2009, 05:16 AM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageMSREEBOK-RMCV2WG.html

Noveson
07-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Agreed. As fashionable as the shoulder pads. Thank goodness that they are gone, Nike. Clunky '80s-early 90s.

Hah you don't know what you are talking about. Could pump out at least 30 pictures of celebs, including Federer. wearing high shoes right now.

I think mid/high shoes are a joke. No offense, but if any company would make them specifically designed for tennis, I definitely wouldn't waste my money to buy it.

Have you never seen the air tech challenges?

topspin_1
07-14-2009, 07:00 PM
How come companies don't make mid or high tennis shoes?

Well, not sure how you can say that when there are at least 9 different mid shoes for men on the TW site...

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/catthumbs.html?CREF=166

After rolling my ankle a few times long ago, I'll never go back to a low-cut shoe, even if obama and his democrat thugs tax mid shoes by 200%.

Blade0324
07-15-2009, 07:11 AM
No need for mid or high tennis shoes. Most people don't need them and they seriously restrict movement and speed. If you are that worried about ankles get braces and wear those.

ScoopsHaaganDazs
07-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Just wear a low shoe with an ankle brace. High tops are restricting in movement. The ones that dont restrict your movement arent cushioned enough. Ankle braces are much more convenient anyways. You can use them with any low shoe and take them off whenever.

Lakers4Life
07-15-2009, 12:50 PM
20+ years ago, Nike came out with the Challenge Court. A 3/4 hi top. It was quite popular, even MacEnroe wore them.

I wear a pair of Mad Gripp by Adidas. Which are a similar to the Challenge Court. I find some of the True tennis shoes are too heavy. Some of the light ones don't last because of the foam like sole consrtuction. I'd like to find a pair of classic K-Swiss.

SempreSami
07-15-2009, 01:36 PM

Hightops are pretty fashionable, perhaps not with you lame tennis players.

Lakers4Life
07-15-2009, 01:42 PM
I wonder if anyone ever played a Grand Slam Tournament in Converse Chuck Taylor Hi-tops.

Al Czervik
07-15-2009, 04:09 PM
It's not that I need ankle support, but I am finding that my heel slips in a lot of shoes lately, especially Nikes. Air Zoom Trainer was a good solution to this problem, but they are not very durable and are now out of stock.

certifiedjatt
07-15-2009, 04:17 PM
i love high-tops. i wore Phat Farm all black shoes until the duct tape couldn't hold them together anymore. never could find a pair like them.
nike should make a single color, black or white, high top shoe, with no fruity accents. i'd buy a pair very quickly.

martini1
07-15-2009, 06:14 PM
i love high-tops. i wore Phat Farm all black shoes until the duct tape couldn't hold them together anymore. never could find a pair like them.
nike should make a single color, black or white, high top shoe, with no fruity accents. i'd buy a pair very quickly.

Try AF-1's. They are as close as u can get...

The_Question
07-15-2009, 09:05 PM
It's too bad they don't make too much of high or 3/4 shoes anymore. They're, indeed, very supportive around the ankle area. I think it's the current trend to stay w/low court. If someone like Nadal wears a 3/4 or high top, I'm sure all the posers/kids would jump on it.

Hence, when Nike brought back the Air Tech Challenge III, I bought like 4 pairs of them. As for the ankle brace, dude, you've to take off your shoes to take them out. It's a hassle I rather live without.

Lakers4Life
07-15-2009, 11:55 PM
It's too bad they don't make too much of high or 3/4 shoes anymore. They're, indeed, very supportive around the ankle area. I think it's the current trend to stay w/low court. If someone like Nadal wears a 3/4 or high top, I'm sure all the posers/kids would jump on it.

Hence, when Nike brought back the Air Tech Challenge III, I bought like 4 pairs of them. As for the ankle brace, dude, you've to take off your shoes to take them out. It's a hassle I rather live without.

I think you're most likely to see a pair of Air Jordan's than a pair that Nadal wears at a high school tennis match. Keep it simple but make it elegant. Day Glow colors are slowly coming back into tennis shoes.

benne
07-16-2009, 05:12 AM
Kswiss make a lot of high tops. My dad wears them.

JRstriker12
07-16-2009, 05:33 AM

High tops don't really provide much ankle support. You're much off using ankle braces, like Roddick wears, if you are concerned about ankle support.

High tops have even been in decline in b-ball shoes, most are 3/4 at max. Didn't Kobi switch to a low-top shoe?

The_Question
07-16-2009, 06:01 AM
Day Glow colors are slowly coming back into tennis shoes.

Yes, Nike brought back the neon colors, to revived the early 90's scheme (rebel, wild, crazy?). They just might do the 3/4 again. If indeed, it is so, I see Nadal is their lamb...

The_Question
07-16-2009, 06:03 AM
High tops don't really provide much ankle support. You're much off using ankle braces, like Roddick wears, if you are concerned about ankle support.

High tops have even been in decline in b-ball shoes, most are 3/4 at max. Didn't Kobi switch to a low-top shoe?

Wha? :?

It's called, low-court, not low-top...look at the Nike basketball line. I really don't see any low-court basketball shoes...

JRstriker12
07-16-2009, 06:24 AM
Wha? :?

It's called, low-court, not low-top...look at the Nike basketball line. I really don't see any low-court basketball shoes...

Sorry, I meant low-cut, meaning a shoe with no top.

And Kobe did make a switch to a low-cut shoe - lower than 3/4...

Kobe Bryant bucks trend, goes with new low-top shoe - ESPN
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3761462&campaign=rsssrch&source=design

The_Question
07-16-2009, 06:37 AM
God, that thing is ugly...he must be feeling like Nadal...Nike force (large sum of $$$) them to wear nasty looking shoes...

scraps234
07-16-2009, 06:54 AM
prince makes some as well...

certifiedjatt
07-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Try AF-1's. They are as close as u can get...

i tried those, but they're so bulky.

goran_ace
07-16-2009, 09:24 AM
It's not that I need ankle support, but I am finding that my heel slips in a lot of shoes lately, especially Nikes. Air Zoom Trainer was a good solution to this problem, but they are not very durable and are now out of stock.

Try using a runner's tie (aka lace-locks). It helps out a lot in keeping your heel secure.

See Method 1
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/locklacing.htm

WildVolley
07-16-2009, 09:29 AM
I've never been convinced that a high top shoe or a mid prevent ankle injury. I used to wear high tops in basketball, but I've seen plenty of rolled ankles by people wearing high tops and I never felt that they went high enough up the ankle to provide support. The ankle supports most people wear extend far higher up the leg.

I think that a shoe that fits properly is the best defense against ankle rolls. As is being in decent shape.

Noveson
07-16-2009, 11:58 AM

http://i26.tinypic.com/10qdtfa.jpg

You can get these in all black. I have a pair but they're in my car didn't want to go get them.

Blade0324
07-17-2009, 07:19 AM
http://i26.tinypic.com/10qdtfa.jpg

You can get these in all black. I have a pair but they're in my car didn't want to go get them.

Sorry man but those are some ugly shoes!

Noveson
07-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Sorry man but those are some ugly shoes!

Don't know what you are talking about. I like em and all the chicks I know like em so I'm happy with em;) How old are you?

redfred
08-02-2009, 07:08 PM
if you want high tops.check out the michael chang inspired reebok high tops.they are super cool and look like they just came out of a time machine straight out of the 1980's :)

Al Czervik
08-03-2009, 06:29 AM
There are Air Zoom Tennis Trainers in at Nike, other shops, and I suspect TW in the near future.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v339/innovashaun/Talk%20Tennis/TrainerFall09.jpg

The_Question
08-03-2009, 06:42 AM
Not bad, I like them...

atatu
08-03-2009, 07:10 AM
I miss the Nike 3/4, but I just wear the ASO Braces with my tennis shoes now and it works pretty well.