PDA

View Full Version : question about flying with my rackets

tennisfa
07-04-2009, 06:18 AM
next week, i'll be flying from newyork to tokyo, then to beijing. i'm planning to put all my tennis gears in my wilson six pack bag(http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageBGWILSON-WKPTBA6.html), and carry it with me on the flight. i'm afraid my bag will be a little too big for carry-on since the requirement is 9" by 14" by 22", and mine is 11" x 14" x 31".

maybe i should just carry the rackets in a bag pack?...any info will be appreciated.

Mikey Fresh
07-05-2009, 12:18 PM
next week, i'll be flying from newyork to tokyo, then to beijing. i'm planning to put all my tennis gears in my wilson six pack bag(http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageBGWILSON-WKPTBA6.html), and carry it with me on the flight. i'm afraid my bag will be a little too big for carry-on since the requirement is 9" by 14" by 22", and mine is 11" x 14" x 31".

maybe i should just carry the rackets in a bag pack?...any info will be appreciated.

I checked my bag when going to new york from dallas. they treated my bag very poorly and acualy broke my dads racket

tennisfa
07-05-2009, 12:28 PM
were your rackets checked in? or you had them with you?......

supertrex
07-05-2009, 03:47 PM
I carried 2 Racquets when I went to Tokyo, Dubai and India Last year.

Never had any problem. Im using addidas backpack and tape velcro to secure my racquet from moving.

Didnt even need to bring my racquet since most of the Tennis clubs I went too have some " for Rent Racquets "

Thats Flying AA, JAL and Emirates Airlines.

sunshineCK
07-06-2009, 10:08 AM
I flew recently with my 2 racquets in a backpack, as a carry-on (from Nashville to Newark, and back). I wasn't sure about carrying on a 6pack, but I did see some people with 6 or even 9 pack bags walking around the airport after passing security, so my guess is it'll be okay. I'm just not sure about how they handle it at Nartia and Beijing!

GeoffB
07-06-2009, 02:33 PM
I flew to Europe from the US recently and brought one racket. The woman at the check-in for Lufthansa told me that I probably wouldn't be allowed to bring the racket as carry-on for security reasons, and asked if I wanted to check it. I told her that I'd give it a try, and come back if they wouldn't allow it.

I specifically asked the security folks if the racket was allowed, and the first dude said "no", but asked his manager, who said "yes." Phew! I was a little worried, because a sign said no "club-like" items were allowed, specifying golf clubs and baseball bats (no mention of tennis rackets).

The manager told me that tennis rackets are officially "allowed", and I never had trouble after that, but eh, who knows? There is an outside chance you'll run into someone who doesn't allow the racket on the plane.

My advice would be to bring your racket as carry-on, but be prepared with a back-up plan to pack it with *lots* of padding on the outside chance they make you check it with your bag.

hondas2k
07-06-2009, 07:27 PM
i flew to south korea from us every year with babolat aeropro 12 pack with 5 rackets(http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageBGBAB-BAB12.html)never had any problem.

You will be fine!

dennis1188
07-06-2009, 10:10 PM
I could not board w/ a single carry-on racket (no items longer than 21 inches allowed carry on) at HK International.
Needed special assistance at Cathay to get this on at last minute thu immigration to boarding.

john4545
07-10-2009, 06:08 AM
I had some luck w/ carry-on, but sometimes get the thumbs down. You can try Pelican cases if you're going to check in the racket. Great cases....lots of photographers use it for their gear.