PDA

View Full Version : New to tournaments, question for you all

momtogrif
07-04-2009, 01:13 PM
My son is playing in boys 10's in the Southwest right now. He will be moving up to the 12's in November and I noticed that the SW has 2 lists for the kids. One for standings and the other for endorsements. What is the difference between the 2 lists???
My son is ranked at 114 in the standings but in the endorsements he's 82. He's ranked 15 in the 10's but the 10's doesn't have an endorsements list?
Thanks!

tennismom42
07-04-2009, 05:54 PM
10s do not have endorsement lists because 10s do not have national tournaments. It has been deemed that 10&U is too young for travel tournaments/national schedule. Actually, I recall that the USTA allowed 12&U to have nationals, only about 4 years ago.

Here's the jest of Standings vs. Endorsement.

Endorsement's lists are typically posted 3 times per year, approximately 1 week after the Sectional. In order to get into a National, you have to be on the Endorsement List from your Section. (There are a few Sections that don't have this rule, but I don't know which Sections those are -- they are few! Maybe Hawaii or Pacific NW.) In order to get Endorsed, one must play CERTAIN tournaments, during the specific Endorsement period.* Each Section has their own set of rules and each Endorsement List period has a different grouping of required tournaments. Check your Sectional webpage because as the kids get older, you do NOT want to screw up on Endorsement. It will eliminate one from Nationals. Only Singles matches count. Only Sectional Levels 1 -5 count.

Standings is a representation of all levels of play (levels 1 -7). Standings is a more generous list and it includes everyone & all abilities.

National events played in, during the endorsement period, will show up onto both Standings & Endorsement Lists.

*I could give you some examples from our Section if you need more information.

momtogrif
07-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Thank you! What's weird is that my son played a L5 tournament that wasn't national and has a better Endorsement ranking than his standings ranking. This junior tournament stuff is very confusing. I was just talking to a coach's wife about zonals and that was a whole new thing to me, as well. I feel very overwhelmed when all I really want is for my kid to NOT get creamed in the 12's and lose heart playing tennis!