PDA

View Full Version : Is intramural tennis different from club tennis?

Claudius
07-04-2009, 12:29 PM
I was looking at Penn State's club tennis website and I don't think it's a part of intramural sports. If that's the case, which (intramural or club) is better?

tennisnj
07-04-2009, 05:36 PM
I can't speak for Penn State, but when I was on the varsity team @ UConn in the 90s, they didn't have a club team b/c it would've cost too much money to have them travel to local colleges (all different levels) to play matches, but they did have a top of the line intramural program (all sports, not just tennis) so that's where everyone went when they couldn't make the varsity team (which wasn't that hard back then). I'd guess that many colleges still have this set up nowadays due to the economy now? Again I'm just guessing.

!<-_->!
07-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Yes, they do tend to be different.

randomname
07-06-2009, 05:59 PM
huge difference, at my school if you play intramural you get a few crappy matches and alot of no shows, while the club team has over 100 members, plays lots of tournaments and dual matches and is a ton of fun in general.

raiden031
07-06-2009, 06:03 PM
varsity > club > intramurals.

When I was in school, I played intramural sports and you would meet up for a game/match maybe once a week and it was very recreational, often times with players who are not very skilled.

Club teams usually have practices a couple times a week and play against other schools. They often have tryouts and alot of the players are those who couldn't quite make it as a varsity player.