PDA

View Full Version : College Tennis and Major

pro_staff
07-04-2009, 07:21 PM
I'm planning on playing for a decent Div II team in California. I'm also majoring in Biology. Since this is a high unit major, I don't know if I'll have enough time for both. If anybody played Div II tennis, what did you major in and did you have enough time to do both?

tennismom42
07-04-2009, 09:28 PM
If you google the words, "tennis biology" or "biology tennis," you will find some mention of others (male & female) who are doing it at all division levels. Perhaps you could contact one of them through Facebook.

I don't think you should hone in so much on "tennis + biology." I think any sport + biology is a big load. Perhaps you can ask athletes from other sports about their biology course load.

goran_ace
07-06-2009, 07:33 AM
I majored in biology and played DI tennis. It is possible. The hardest things about doing that are scheduling practices around labs and sticking with it when you feel like everyone else has it easier and is passing you by. Once you get to the 300/junior-senior level some electives don't have multiple sections and can take up 4 hour blocks of your afternoon. I had to miss practice one day a week, which may affect your playijng time or position in the lineup. Keep in mind that your professors really don't care how you do on the court, and your coach really doesn't care how you do in the classroom (as long as you stay academcially eligible). Don't expect favors from either and you won't feel slighted.

pro_staff
07-06-2009, 04:13 PM
I majored in biology and played DI tennis. It is possible. The hardest things about doing that are scheduling practices around labs and sticking with it when you feel like everyone else has it easier and is passing you by. Once you get to the 300/junior-senior level some electives don't have multiple sections and can take up 4 hour blocks of your afternoon. I had to miss practice one day a week, which may affect your playijng time or position in the lineup. Keep in mind that your professors really don't care how you do on the court, and your coach really doesn't care how you do in the classroom (as long as you stay academcially eligible). Don't expect favors from either and you won't feel slighted.

Thanks for the input. Were you still able to travel to matches? I know that you can't ever miss labs.

autumn_leaf
07-06-2009, 05:06 PM
a decent amount of my friends are bio or bio-chem majors, they don't have much free time and they don't even do sports. to do a regular course load a lot of them are having to do either summer school to finish in 4 years, or they are finishing in 5 years.

as you know labs are a must, i just took a gen bio course and even in that if you missed a lab you were screwed. Also, you'll find out that you usually have to stay after classes to fully absorb the information unless you're naturally smart.

In conclusion, all things are possible. I'm sure people have done it. But you can't be a slacker at all. And I'm not sure about you, but Bio books to me is the cure for insomnia, it's either that or accounting books.

goran_ace
07-07-2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the input. Were you still able to travel to matches? I know that you can't ever miss labs.

It is important to talk to your professor on/before the first day of class and let them know you are an athlete and give them your match schedule. That way they can schedule exams around you, or are not surprised when you ask to be able to take your exam early/late apart from the rest of the class. Missing class isn't a big deal, just make sure you get good notes from someone else.

Labs are tricky. Basically, if there's going to be a scheduling conflict where you will miss more than one lab session, you basically don't sign up for that lab (or tell your coach that you won't be able to play certain matches - I can't imagine that would go over well). If you are a senior and you are running out of alternative classes/labs, then you have to prioritize and make a sacrifice one way or the other. Obviously, graduating is top priority and grades come next (especially if you plan on going to grad/med/law school the next year). I played a lot my sophomore and junior years, but as a senior I had to cut back on my commitment to the tennis.

subaru3169
07-23-2009, 07:30 AM
goran has it right.. i've been in classes where some classmates took their exams early coz they had to go off and play somewhere.. but it's college, there's gonna be a tradeoff one way or other.. when it really comes down to it, your classes/grades take priority