PDA

View Full Version : Boys 18s Nats - Denver

10isDad
07-05-2009, 03:19 PM
The quarterfinals for the boys 18s in Denver are set. Of the guys I've seen, I find it difficult to imagine Jack Sock losing a set, much less a match.

The best news is the most whiney , most annoying player ever (W McCoy) lost in the opening round. There is something about that kid that makes it easy to despise him.

Tomorrow, Jack Sock takes on Asika Isoh, who has looked pretty solid thus far. Chris Cooprider, who evidently won his 2nd round after a controversial overrule on matchpoint extended the match (I didn't see it but heard from others), takes on Patrick Kawka, Augie Bloom faces Casey MacMasters and Eric Sock plays Alex Lineberry. The latter survived a bagel opening set to win in an exciting round of 16 match.

If I had to guess the finalists, I'd say J Sock vs MacMasters, though the elder Sock has been impressive.

3lowdown
07-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Jack Sock, ruining my schools state streak since 2006. :evil:

10isDad
07-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Sock:
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/10isdad/2009_Boys%2018s_Nats_Denver/DSC_0011.jpg

Isoh:
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/10isdad/2009_Boys%2018s_Nats_Denver/DSC_0014.jpg

Cooprider:
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/10isdad/2009_Boys%2018s_Nats_Denver/DSC_0101.jpg

10isDad
07-05-2009, 07:04 PM
E Sock:
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/10isdad/2009_Boys%2018s_Nats_Denver/DSC_0225.jpg

Lineberry:
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/10isdad/2009_Boys%2018s_Nats_Denver/DSC_0069.jpg

SoCalDominates
07-05-2009, 07:20 PM
E Sock:
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/10isdad/2009_Boys%2018s_Nats_Denver/tennispics061.jpg

Lineberry:
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/10isdad/2009_Boys%2018s_Nats_Denver/tennispics067.jpg

do u have pics of macmaster by chance? these are quality pics. I take it you are at the tourny? And I think J Sock has to be the favorite but how does he do against E Sock usually?

10isDad
07-05-2009, 07:33 PM
I did not get any pics of the other quarterfinalists. I will have my camera tomorrow and plan to take pics. Hopefully will post sometime tomorrow.

miniRafa386
07-05-2009, 08:14 PM
asika isoh's my boy

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
07-06-2009, 04:11 PM
This McCoy kid, was he the horse's patoot from around the Chicago area?

SoCal10s
07-06-2009, 04:21 PM
This McCoy kid, was he the horse's patoot from around the Chicago area?

acts and plays a little like a girly girl,talks to himself while playing,says a lot of bad stuff about his opponents to himself so you'd hear it ,while playing... he plays like a wall,doesn't miss but has no real weapons... put a skirt on him and he'll make a good women's pro..but I would say he's finished in the 18s boys when he gets overpowered by the bigger and older kids,and they won't take any of his foolishness and gamesmanship..

tennismom42
07-06-2009, 05:12 PM
acts and plays a little like a girly girl,talks to himself while playing,says a lot of bad stuff about his opponents to himself so you'd hear it ,while playing... he plays like a wall,doesn't miss but has no real weapons... put a skirt on him and he'll make a good women's pro..but I would say he's finished in the 18s boys when he gets overpowered by the bigger and older kids,and they won't take any of his foolishness and gamesmanship..
Ouch!

Indeed, his serve is very unconventional looking & he's a wall. Lots of players do self talk, but it's not allowed to bad mouth one's opponent.

There is one thing he does better than ANY other kid I've ever met: HE is in charge of his own tennis. From scheduling, to planning trips, finding his own airfare, calculating costs, research, registering, determining next training.... HE is responsible, self motivated & handles all his own tennis matters. He's more organized & a better planner than I am.

10isDad
07-06-2009, 06:09 PM
I had indicated how annoying he is mainly because of the near constant complaining. Only once have I heard him or seen him congratulate his opponents winners and that was only after his opponent got on his butt about the complaining. When a players' up 5-0, 40-love and loses a point then loudly complains about how the opponent just pushes or shanks, etc., it's annoying.

The comment about him talking bad about his opponents probably stems from this. He constantly talks, pretty loudly and some of it is directed at the opponents. "It's not like this kid has a good serve." "Pusher!!!". "Every point this kid wins is luck!", etc. are pretty accurate examples. That being said, he's one of the best movers I've seen. He passes very well and doesn't miss much.

His service motion reminds me a bit of Boris Becker. His backhand is also very unorthodox, with a Chris Evert-like follow-through. It is, however, very effective.

10isDad
07-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Kawka:
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/10isdad/2009_Boys%2018s_Nats_Denver/DSC_0181.jpg

MacMasters:
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/10isdad/2009_Boys%2018s_Nats_Denver/DSC_0209.jpg

Bloom
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/10isdad/2009_Boys%2018s_Nats_Denver/DSC_0205.jpg

10isDad
07-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Best matches so far: yesterday's match between Kawka and Yermanos was the best match so far. Today's battle between Kawka and Cooprider was also extremely high quality. Kawka has been very impressive.

Sock vs Isoh was ugly. Isoh questioned tons of calls. The on court umpire was pretty awful. A player from the next court said instead of simply indicating in or out, she would say things like "I think I have to agree with that one". During that player's match, the player hit a serve and the opponent called it out. The server thought it in and asked the umpire who said (and I quote) "I couldn't tell so just take two."

Later she came over to a group of parents/players watching and said (and again I quote) "parents, just remember you can't say anything bad about a player. If you do, it's a code and you'll be removed. This is an official warning." There was me, my son, his friend and friend's father calmy watching and appreciating the Kawka-Cooprider match and she came from 2 courts away to give us this warning.

Strangest match today was M Cowley basically serve-volleying on 90% of points against Guignon. It didn't seem very natural and certainly didn't work. Never seen Cowley play that way before. I suspect he decided to work on it since it was a backdraw match.

HookEmJeff
07-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Nice looking tennis center there in Denver. I like those partitioned courts.

FitzRoy
07-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Interesting that the tournament draw on tennislink lists both Sock brothers as being from Nebraska, since they play high school tennis here in the KC area.

Also interesting is the mention of Isoh disputing line calls in his match against Jack Sock. The article in the local paper detailing the results of the regional high school finals had this to say about a crucial moment in the first set:

"But Helgeson hit a cross-court forehand that Sock called out — much to Helgeson’s dismay — and the game was sent into deuce.

Sock went on to win the next two points and break Helgeson’s serve, which put him ahead 4-2. Emotions were running high. Sometime after Sock had called Helgeson’s shot out — which Sock maintained was out by 3 or 4 inches — the two exchanged words."

HookEmJeff
07-07-2009, 08:57 PM
They both train in KC and have for about five or six years now. Their permanent residence (actual home) is still in Lincoln.

Not quite the Williams sisters, but still pretty cool to have a brother-brother final in a tournament like a National Open.

Also, I surely doubt Jack Sock would have 15 gold balls if he was that bad at line calling.

Jeff

10isDad
07-08-2009, 05:09 AM
I never insinuated Sock was making bad calls, only that Isoh was disputing them. Sock appears to call the lines close, but fair. Other players play a lot of just out balls - not him. He doesn't appear to miss many. On one serve, the ball was clearly out and Isoh was upset and disputing it. The others: honestly I wasn't close enough to the court. There was a lot of drama in the match - mostly started by Isoh, however Sock was very verbal during the match, jawing at the umpire (who I indicated was pretty flighty) and at Isoh. My kid said the umpire also had Sock & Isoh basically play a let because they were arguing over a call and she said she couldn't tell. That's at least twice she had players "take 2" rather than being decisive. If she truly couldn't tell, the original call should stand.

The umpire did overrule Sock once, and Sock went fairly ballistic. Actually, he takes after a fellow Cornhusker state guy - Roddick - in the way he deals with the umpires. He borders on being abusive and am surprised he wasn't warned.

During his match yesterday with Kawka, he asked the umpire if a ball was out. The umpire said he didn't see it. Sock quite loudly said "Of course not. All you do is stare straight ahead. What's the point of you being here at all? Why don't you just go away?" Not that much different than the famous Roddick outburts of "Do your job!" or "Stay in school kids, or you'll end up being an umpire."

FitzRoy
07-08-2009, 05:59 AM
Yeah, I'm not trying to say he's bad at calls either. Just thought it was kind of funny that in the two things I'd ever read about him (that article and this thread) there were disputes mentioned.

tennismom42
07-08-2009, 06:42 AM
I too watched the Kawka/Cooprider match with Sock/Isoh match behind it and the E.Sock/Lineberry match behing them. Then I saw some of yesterday's Sock/Kawka match.

For sure I saw Sock miscall one out on the South east corner. Kawka challenged and umpire said out. I was shocked with the umpire. He is not the umpire that was at Jack's other match. But that's just one point of a match.

I heard many boys talk this tournament that Jack tends to increase the number of controversial line calls as the match gets close or just to mess with his opponents heads. (I am just repeating what I heard many other boys say. They warn each other.)

As for the Isoh/J. Sock match it was an ugly a match to watch. Very contentious. I wasn't in position to see the calls for certain, but they were definitely not 3" out. They were quite close to the lines or else Isoh wouldn't challenge them. 3" out is like a fish story where the catch just keeps getting longer.

Jack's too good be creating such a reputation for himself.

brosamj
07-08-2009, 09:43 AM
What website can I visit to see the draws at this tourney? TIA.

FitzRoy
07-08-2009, 10:07 AM
What website can I visit to see the draws at this tourney? TIA.

This is the tournament site on USTA tennislink:

http://tennislink.usta.com/Tournaments/TournamentHome/Tournament.aspx?T=68977

10isDad
07-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Link to photo album containing about 170 pictures:

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/10isdad/2009_Boys%2018s_Nats_Denver/

TonLars
07-09-2009, 11:34 AM
The best news is the most whiney , most annoying player ever (W McCoy) lost in the opening round. There is something about that kid that makes it easy to despise him.

Ouch!

Indeed, his serve is very unconventional looking & he's a wall. Lots of players do self talk, but it's not allowed to bad mouth one's opponent.

There is one thing he does better than ANY other kid I've ever met: HE is in charge of his own tennis. From scheduling, to planning trips, finding his own airfare, calculating costs, research, registering, determining next training.... HE is responsible, self motivated & handles all his own tennis matters. He's more organized & a better planner than I am.

I had indicated how annoying he is mainly because of the near constant complaining. Only once have I heard him or seen him congratulate his opponents winners and that was only after his opponent got on his butt about the complaining. When a players' up 5-0, 40-love and loses a point then loudly complains about how the opponent just pushes or shanks, etc., it's annoying.

The comment about him talking bad about his opponents probably stems from this. He constantly talks, pretty loudly and some of it is directed at the opponents. "It's not like this kid has a good serve." "Pusher!!!". "Every point this kid wins is luck!", etc. are pretty accurate examples. That being said, he's one of the best movers I've seen. He passes very well and doesn't miss much.

His service motion reminds me a bit of Boris Becker. His backhand is also very unorthodox, with a Chris Evert-like follow-through. It is, however, very effective.

Wow, these comments are spot on, the good and the bad with both his game and the way he acts. I practice with him a couple times a week, am 25 years old, usually beat him soundly yet he does the same things in practice with me. I hate to bad mouth him because he can be really nice off the court, but I had to comment because everything that was said here is very accurate from my observations as well. He needs to get some offensive weapons now and he will be a force, because he moves very well and refuses to miss.

10isDad
07-09-2009, 12:53 PM
I have also heard from players that he's a nice guy off court. In the last match I saw him play (vs. Cooprider), I must say he didn't do hardly any of the complaining he did in earlier matches. Maybe he respects (or knows) Cooprider more than others? Maybe somebody told him of the comments on this board? He was, well, pretty normal during that match.

tennislife22
07-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Wow, these comments are spot on, the good and the bad with both his game and the way he acts. I practice with him a couple times a week, am 25 years old, usually beat him soundly yet he does the same things in practice with me. I hate to bad mouth him because he can be really nice off the court, but I had to comment because everything that was said here is very accurate from my observations as well. He needs to get some offensive weapons now and he will be a force, because he moves very well and refuses to miss.

Not to pile on, but a friend of mine played him last year and there was a funny exchange. He beat him and Wyatt repeatly throughout the match talked about how bad thetennis was and at the end said "god, this is like 2.5 tennis." I found this pretty funny as it happened at the national team championships, definately not 2.5....

tennismom42
07-11-2009, 09:02 AM
Link to photo album containing about 170 pictures:

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/10isdad/2009_Boys%2018s_Nats_Denver/
These kids & parents should be buying these pictures from you, to post on their tennisrecruiting.net website.

hello? recruits? parents? ........