PDA

View Full Version : NOT Playing Every Day?

norcal22
07-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Is there anybody who is good on a national level that doesnt play every day?
I think i have heard of one kid names John Huang who doesnt? but im not sure?

i play at least two hours a day and like seven during the summer

scraps234
07-06-2009, 01:41 PM
how many days does he play a week and how many hours in that day that he does play...

norcal22
07-06-2009, 03:47 PM
how many days does he play a week and how many hours in that day that he does play...
i dont know the kid somebody just told me that

scraps234
07-06-2009, 06:56 PM
oooh ok then i bet he has intense workouts and conditioning the day he doesnt... also when he plays he probably practices like 6 hours or something crazy like that

norcal22
07-06-2009, 07:02 PM
oooh ok then i bet he has intense workouts and conditioning the day he doesnt... also when he plays he probably practices like 6 hours or something crazy like that
well maybe. but i didnt play just one day to rest my groin and i was crap today. idk ive just never heard of a top player not playing every day

itracbui3
07-10-2009, 12:39 PM

john huang? the guy that goes to university? i think he plays everyday. there's no way anyone that is that good and doesnt play everyday unless it's like a break now and then but not like play 5/7 days. i play 7 hrs a day during summer too :D

sctennis1
07-10-2009, 04:39 PM
most top juniors if not all prob dont play everyday more like 5 or 6days a week....

TnsMan2
07-10-2009, 05:55 PM

You can get away with 4 days a week if you do it right , focus on quality over quanity , and thats at about 2 hrs of hitting a day, it has to be all work no fun mentality .

The fun needs to be spelled W-I-N find someone that wants to improve who likes to work hard and thats the person you want to be on court with anyone who wants to chit chat alot on change overs get away from them .

If you are talking about Jonathan 15 yr old or the 18 yr old the 15 year old hits alot we have hit together a lot over the years

mutantducky
07-10-2009, 06:31 PM
I think playing everyday is too much. lots of wear and tear. need to mix it up with other sports and something else for fun. like previous posts, play less but practice better.

tennisguyak
07-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Even if you don't play everyday, try to get a lot of QUALITY play with players better than you. And it doesn't matter if you play ten hours a day and its crap play and your tired and sloppy after 3 hours its not going to do you much good doing that. I try to get quality play in just about everyday and then workout and run when I'm not playing. Once you get to a certain point the skill levels just even out between opponents and its all up to who can last the longest and play the most quality points in a match.

CourtingYou
07-13-2009, 05:03 PM
Well there are different levels of practicing tennis that prevent "wear and tear". Like on Sundays I have an off day but I still run and do core.

himynameisNIKE
07-13-2009, 05:40 PM
i dont play everyday and im beast

norcal22
07-13-2009, 10:32 PM
To anybody saying not to play everyday,you pretty much have to if u want to be good even on a sectional level. Thats is why i started the thread is because i wanted to know if there are any good kids who dont play every day...

stanfordtennis alum
07-14-2009, 07:56 AM
when i played at my highest level, i only practiced 4-5 days a week

CourtingYou
07-14-2009, 10:09 AM
when i played at my highest level, i only practiced 4-5 days a week

How intense were those practices, though. What'd you do?

WinningIsLife
01-28-2010, 06:14 AM
You dont need to play everyday lol 4,5 or 6 days a week is good. Just on the days off do some physical work.

Touch of Grey
06-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Are you kidding me? Nobody can play everyday. Any reasonable person takes at least 1 day off a weak, it's necessary.

Bash and Crash
06-25-2011, 08:35 PM
To anybody saying not to play everyday,you pretty much have to if u want to be good even on a sectional level. Thats is why i started the thread is because i wanted to know if there are any good kids who dont play every day...

As others have said you do not need to play 7 days a week or 7 hours a day. If you put 2-3 maybe 4max hrs a day and 5 days a week with off court training you should be able to play some top tennis. Body and brain need rest to recover and grow.

chalkflewup
06-26-2011, 07:19 PM

I'll bet you Fed doesnt play 365 days per year. He's a pretty good kid.

tennis5
06-27-2011, 03:53 PM
The juniors I know who played every day are now injured.

PeterPanda
06-28-2011, 04:17 PM
Why some one relived this thread. Were those juniors you talked to top 25 nationaly.

USERNAME
06-28-2011, 05:17 PM
You have to take rest days to recover if you TRAIN. If you just go out and hit for 1-3 hours you should be able to go out every day, once you start intensive training (at least 2 hours) that has hard fast paced drilling it puts lots of stress on the body, if you do that 7 days a week for a month there's a very high risk of injury. 6 days a week, with 4 days having intense drilling AND hitting, is good. If your fit and strong with no history of injury, I believe alternating between 4 and 5 days of drilling would be ok.