PDA

View Full Version : hoping to not get bumped up.....2 years running

Perry the Platypus
07-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Some background. I am a first year 4.5 who got bumped last year after being a computer rated 4.0 for about 8 years. I had a really good run through districts and sectionals last year. That part was all great, and I was excited about the challenge of 4.5 - especially since I have found a good group that allows me to play 2-3x per week. Here is the rub......through the end of our local season I'm 9-0. Will I get the dreaded bump to 5.0 (there is nobody to play at that level, and I am REALLY not that good, my results were due as much to good partners and good days as anything else). Most of these matches really and truly could have gone either way. The scores were:

6-2, 3-6, 1-0
6-1, 6-2*
7-6, 6-3
6-4, 6-1+
6-2, 6-2*
6-1, 3-6, 1-0
6-4, 6-3
6-2, 6-2*
7-5, 6-2+

All matches were dubs. The "*" means one of the players had just been bumped from 4.0, and the "+" means one of the players is still 4.0.

I know that the yet to be played district and possibly sectional matches will have a huge impact, but what do you think. Is it possible/likely to get bumped after just one year at a level?

OrangePower
07-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Some background. I am a first year 4.5 who got bumped last year after being a computer rated 4.0 for about 8 years. I had a really good run through districts and sectionals last year. That part was all great, and I was excited about the challenge of 4.5 - especially since I have found a good group that allows me to play 2-3x per week. Here is the rub......through the end of our local season I'm 9-0. Will I get the dreaded bump to 5.0 (there is nobody to play at that level, and I am REALLY not that good, my results were due as much to good partners and good days as anything else). Most of these matches really and truly could have gone either way. The scores were:

6-2, 3-6, 1-0
6-1, 6-2*
7-6, 6-3
6-4, 6-1+
6-2, 6-2*
6-1, 3-6, 1-0
6-4, 6-3
6-2, 6-2*
7-5, 6-2+

All matches were dubs. The "*" means one of the players had just been bumped from 4.0, and the "+" means one of the players is still 4.0.

I know that the yet to be played district and possibly sectional matches will have a huge impact, but what do you think. Is it possible/likely to get bumped after just one year at a level?

First of all, congrats on a great season!

Regarding getting bumped up, impossible to say for sure. It doesn't matter that you're 9-0, what matters are the scores you listed, in conjunction with the ratings of all the players involved (which we can't know).

But if I had to guess, I would say the chances of being bumped up are slim. Assuming that you were a low 4.5 at the beginning of the season (having been bumped up), and assuming that your partners have been mid to high 4.5s. This guess is also based on the assumption that your easier wins were against 4.0s and/or low 4.5s.

raiden031
07-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Did you really improve that much within your last 1-2 years of 4.0 that you suddenly went from strong 4.0 to strong 4.5? Or is there just that much overlap between the levels?

Sounds like you got lucky enough to play alot of lower-end 4.5s. Doesn't look like you really dominate the 4.5 level since you have competitive matches against the veteran 4.5 players.

Perry the Platypus
07-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Orange Power - that's what I think too, just asking opinions.....

Raiden - there are a couple of factors - 1) I am playing more and against better competition (I switched clubs) that has definitely improved my game - no doubt about it. 2) I have been surprised by the transition - I figured it would be much harder, I mostly played mid to low level guys, but I know of three guys me and my partner handed their only losses to.

I am under no illusions. I think my record is by and large a fluke - I played well, but not that well. Mostly do not want to get bumped to 5.o - it is kind of a death blow around here - pretty much relegates you to tournaments playing against college kids, where I would be crushed mercilessly. I think I am in good shape, but thought I would get some other opinions. That said it is what it is, I'm gonna play balls out at districts and try to keep the streak going as long as possible. I'm real curious to see the competition there.

sinned
08-28-2009, 07:31 AM
Perry

I'm also in Tulsa but I'm a struggling 3.5 and also want to play better people. Which club are you with and which do you prefer? I'd love to hit sometime and see if I can hang.

Perry the Platypus
08-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Well just got back from 4.5 sectionals. Went 2-2 all in dubs. Respectable I guess. Lot's of fun and only played one match where I felt outclassed(having said that I saw some absolutely ridiculous singles played - big time stuff). Good people too - fun was had.

MR-S - I play at Indian Springs. Not sure about your knee high socks and running shorts though.......sounds like 1981 may want those clothes back! :)

Wakenslam
08-31-2009, 09:50 AM
I would think going 9-0 at 4.5 would make you a strong candidate for getting bumped up. However, because they were all doubles matches you probably won't.

Don't fool yourself. If you won all your regular season matches, and then went 2-2 at sectionals, you belong at a higher level. Don't you get tired of giving free tennis lessons?

Perry the Platypus
08-31-2009, 10:01 AM
Wow Wakenslam......bitter much?

For the record, in my opinion, I do not belong at a higher level. At sectionals I went 2-2 (won 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 and 6-1, 6-4 and lost 1-6, 3-6 and 3-6, 4-6). At districts I went 0-3 (losing 0 & 1, 1 & 2 - to the same ridiculously good team and then 6-7, 6-2, 0-1 to half of that same team). So my total 4.5 record was 11-5, 9-0 locally and 2-5 at championship level. I feel like that shows that my rating is just right. I certainly am not giving anybody lessons. I did not play college tennis, I have just worked hard to get better.

brad1730
09-01-2009, 05:42 AM
How strong are your partners? Unless they are weak 4.5's, then I really doubt that you'll be bumped.

fruitytennis1
09-01-2009, 06:01 AM
Dont worry you wont get bumped that quick. + its doubles so its a little less likely anyways.

Inner Game
09-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Are you in this for competition or just into it to rack up victories against players of lesser abilities... If you really are competitive you should be winning 50% or less....But I guess winning all your matches gives you bragging rights in the low level tennis circles.....NRTP is about team experience....not about BS hollow victories!

Perry the Platypus
09-03-2009, 07:16 AM
Hey Inner Game - appreciate your point of view, however, I had to fight hard for my wins. I know that on a given day I could have lost most of those matches that I won, so none of them feel hollow in the least. Sorry to disappoint.

I'm not sure that I concur with the 50% or less overall statement. Bottom line is that in my view local leagues can give a very skewed perception of rating. It is the district and championship levels where that is really ironed out (USTA seems to agree given that they place an emphasis on these matches).

Still to each their own. There was a time not to many years back (about 3 or 4) that I was winning about 50% or less of my 4.0 matches. I worked hard, got better and vastly improved my mental game. If that allows me to finish my first 4.5 season with a 68.75% winning percentage (yes 9-0 locally, but 2-5 championship level) I feel good about that. If you think it is "B.S. hollow victories" then that is certainly your prerogative - I just happen to think you are wrong.

Inner Game
09-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Don't mean to slam you...but the USTA league is filled with sand baggers.....and there's usually a under achieving captain that trying for some kind of glory....face it...most people are playing recreational tennis....If you guys really want to see what your worth...play USTA events...that will tell you what your true level is....
remember its all relative....I use to be a 5.0 player....but really what is a 5.0 player? NADA really in terms of real tennis... For me it was I had all the strokes but didn't have the mental toughness to take it to a higher level...Now for me it's just a matter of having fun and still being able to play at a somewhat high level (for a recreational player)
Enjoy your success, it does feel good when you can feel how you have gotten better...that's more important then the actual level...at least in terms of USTA leagues.