PDA

View Full Version : to will hamilton/ fyb

samprasvsfederer123
07-07-2009, 04:58 PM
you are very informed about the game, and forgive me if this sounds stupid, but i read in a post that ur 27 and i think you have said you have played for 20 years so aren't u good enough to be a pro?

dherring
07-07-2009, 05:04 PM
it doesnt mean he trained like a pro. He is very good but i doubt he trained on the same rigorous routine a pro would

Grizvok
07-07-2009, 05:29 PM
you are very informed about the game, and forgive me if this sounds stupid, but i read in a post that ur 27 and i think you have said you have played for 20 years so aren't u good enough to be a pro?

That doesn't mean anything.

wihamilton
07-07-2009, 07:05 PM

it doesnt mean he trained like a pro. He is very good but i doubt he trained on the same rigorous routine a pro would

Hey svf. Not a stupid question at all! dherring pretty much hit the nail on the head. I know what I'm doing on the court but there's a huge difference between a Div. 1 college player and a professional -- years of intense training, unwavering focus and drive, etc.

NamRanger
07-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Hey svf. Not a stupid question at all! dherring pretty much hit the nail on the head. I know what I'm doing on the court but there's a huge difference between a Div. 1 college player and a professional -- years of intense training, unwavering focus and drive, etc.

And a few things like genetics and just natural talent ;)

wihamilton
07-08-2009, 12:57 PM
And a few things like genetics and just natural talent ;)

I purposely left that out. As a coach it's poor form to suggest that someone doesn't have the talent to make it. Further, tennis is one of those sports where many types of athletes can make it. For example, you can have the little, quick guy or the big, strong guy. Or someone that doesn't excel at any one thing but does everything well. Etc.

NamRanger
07-08-2009, 01:00 PM
I purposely left that out. As a coach it's poor form to suggest that someone doesn't have the talent to make it. Further, tennis is one of those sports where many types of athletes can make it. For example, you can have the little, quick guy or the big, strong guy. Or someone that doesn't excel at any one thing but does everything well. Etc.

I'm not saying you can't make it without talent, but it does help a tremendous amount. Same with good genetics (case example : Nadal). Of course all of these players do work hard etc. but at some point you just have to say that what separates the elites from the normal is nature.

wihamilton
07-08-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm not saying you can't make it without talent, but it does help a tremendous amount.

Yes that is absolutely true.

jrod
07-08-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm not saying you can't make it without talent, but it does help a tremendous amount. Same with good genetics (case example : Nadal). Of course all of these players do work hard etc. but at some point you just have to say that what separates the elites from the normal is nature.

It's also really useful to understand ones limitations. I'm not suggesting to sell yourself short but at a minimum, try and be realistic.

Charlzz
07-08-2009, 01:31 PM
What exactly is talent? Or genetics? These are somewhat intangible quantities. McEnroe once said he had more talent in his pinky that Lendl had in his whole body. Does this mean the ability to hit those impossible-looking shots? Does that make Santoro ultra-talented? Roddick said Monfils was perhaps the most athletic player on the tour. What does that mean? Footspeed? Leaping ability?

Certainly, there is an aptitude for the sport. How fast can you build up the skills you need to play top-flight tennis. The quicker that can be done, the more you can advance. That could be considered talent.