PDA

View Full Version : Overhead tips needed

fattsoo
07-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Hey guys, I'm an all-court player and is comfortable with volleys, FH, 2HBH and serves. But what I'm lacking is confidence on my overhead.
I get in decent/good position and keep my eyes on the ball, but somehow I always managed to mis-hit it. Please give me some advise on how I can be more consistant on my overhead and what preparation I need. THANKS!!!

Grizvok
07-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Very early preparation and especially good footwork are key in setting up the shot. Just like your serve, you need to be loose and let the power come from everywhere (including pronation), not just your arm or else you will flail at it and mishit it.

Finally, practice a few hundred a couple days in a row and see if that helps!

LeeD
07-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Yeah, only lotsa practice.
Turn sideways when you first see the lob, never back up. You crab hop back to the ball, allowing it to bounce if it's 6' behind the service line.
Hit like a soft first serve, flat and safe, aiming 4' over the net. If you choose to slice your overhead, aim 6' over the net.
Practice makes better.
Internet advice does little unless you PRACTICE.

LeeD
Turn sideways when you first see the lob, never back up. You crab hop back to the ball, allowing it to bounce if it's 6' behind the service line.
Hit like a soft first serve, flat and safe, aiming 4' over the net. If you choose to slice your overhead, aim 6' over the net.
Practice makes better.

LeeD
Practice makes better.

fattsoo
07-07-2009, 06:23 PM
yeah, I know practice would help, but advise is always appreciated

masterxfob
07-08-2009, 01:10 PM
i agree with leed. turn sideways, crab hop or whatever you want to call it, and then hit them with medium pace and a lot of spin. once you get comfortable, flatten out the shot and increase the pace.

anchorage
07-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Always get your weight going forwards into the shot, never let your momentum go backwards at contact. One little tip which helps is to maintain your left foot ahead of the right - keeps you more side on and promotes forward weight transfer through the shot.

Failed
07-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Practice makes better.

So this is how you got your post count ;D

Steady Eddy
07-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Hey guys, I'm an all-court player and is comfortable with volleys, FH, 2HBH and serves. But what I'm lacking is confidence on my overhead.
I get in decent/good position and keep my eyes on the ball, but somehow I always managed to mis-hit it. Please give me some advise on how I can be more consistant on my overhead and what preparation I need. THANKS!!!Are you sure you keep your eyes on the ball? If you keep watching the ball it's hard to mis-hit it. Lots of players take their eye off the ball at the last instant. Try to watch your racquet connect with the ball.

LeeD
07-08-2009, 07:29 PM
I get lots to doubles and triples, but also post lots of advanced advice that gets lost to you newbies and neophytes to tennis.:):)

wngan9447
07-08-2009, 08:15 PM
yeah, I know practice would help, but advise is always appreciated

This worked for me, give it a try tomorrow. If you're comfortable with your judgment... have ball come down to where you normally hit your serve and jump into the ball. Many people I know wait for it and never jump into it. They say it's unnecessary, but I say it keeps me concentrated.

Don't for get to point at it with your other hand. It does help.

fattsoo
07-09-2009, 02:26 AM
update: injured shoulder, need to rest it for 2 weeks...THANKS GUYS FOR YOUR INPUT...I will definitely try this when my shoulder feels better