PDA

View Full Version : What do you think? (video)

Cameron
07-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Here is my video. Sorry, the quality is poor. Any tips, comments or critiques would be great. Thank you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwAc7JxQDs0

Blake0
07-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Nice strokes and footwork, especially like your backhand.

Swissv2
07-07-2009, 07:52 PM
You have some good power in your strokes, though it would have been useful to see the strokes from the back.

I noticed you have a very compact stroke with your elbows very close to your body. While I do not know if this is entirely a good or bad thing it may be something that could be of importance in terms of power generation, contact point, and your ability to get a bit more reach in your court coverage.

zapvor
07-08-2009, 04:29 AM
pretty good. consistent strokes, and looks like good pace. love the swinging volleys. only thing is we didn't get to see you play some real points

zapvor
07-08-2009, 04:29 AM
how tall are you?

Cameron
07-08-2009, 07:38 AM
how tall are you?

Thanks for all the comments guys! I think I am around 5'8''

Sorry there aren't any points on here or views from the back. I need to do another video sometime.

Kevo
07-08-2009, 07:58 AM
It looks to me like you have all the tools and it's a matter of refinement and training. I think to give useful advice we'd probably need to see some matchplay.

I did notice a few things you could tweak on your serve, but they are minor and I wouldn't even want to start changing things with it until I saw how it works for you during a competitive match.

LeeD
07-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Nice women's 5.5 strokes, but like lotsa tall thin hitters, can you run and fetch?
There are plenty of hard hitting women's pros on tour, but the winners are always those who can retrieve, dig, and improvise when they're out of position. DanielaHuntuckova (I can't spell) is one, who hits great, can't retrieve. LindayDav also.
There were also, in the older days, plenty of hard hitting women who didn't bother to run, and some WON pro tournaments in their day. But overall, given a smart, persistent opponent, they'd lose early rounds to someone who ran hard, never gave up, and had the imagination to counter most of the hard hitters with shortangles, low skidders, teaserdrop/lob combinations, and generally test your fitness and your willingness to run and retrieve, making you more tired so you don't hit as forcefully with placement.
Now remember, I'm saying you hit really good, should be able to get to singles levels in college, but is that good enough?

Cameron
07-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Nice women's 5.5 strokes, but like lotsa tall thin hitters, can you run and fetch?
There are plenty of hard hitting women's pros on tour, but the winners are always those who can retrieve, dig, and improvise when they're out of position. DanielaHuntuckova (I can't spell) is one, who hits great, can't retrieve. LindayDav also.
There were also, in the older days, plenty of hard hitting women who didn't bother to run, and some WON pro tournaments in their day. But overall, given a smart, persistent opponent, they'd lose early rounds to someone who ran hard, never gave up, and had the imagination to counter most of the hard hitters with shortangles, low skidders, teaserdrop/lob combinations, and generally test your fitness and your willingness to run and retrieve, making you more tired so you don't hit as forcefully with placement.
Now remember, I'm saying you hit really good, should be able to get to singles levels in college, but is that good enough?

Thanks for your thoughts, you have some very good points. I can get a lot back and run down tough shots, but it definitely needs improvement. I do a lot of footwork drills and workouts to get in better shape. I try to change it up some too, like hitting high topspin loops, drop-shots and angles. I love getting critiques and trying to apply them to my game, so I am always trying to improve. Thanks again, I appreciate your comments.

NamRanger
07-08-2009, 12:41 PM
One thing I've noticed from watching D1 level college women play this year was that alot of the top level players were using alot of spin and hitting very heavy groundstrokes. Excellent court coverage too.

I don't know how you hit, since all I could see was form, but maybe a view from the back could show us more.

masterxfob
07-08-2009, 12:46 PM
can i borrow your footwork? i promise i'll give it back to you at the end of the week :twisted:

nice all around game, everything just looks solid. would have been nice to see some points, to see how well you chase down balls and your footwork when replying to those shots.

Cameron
07-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Sorry again that my video doesn't have a view from the back and points. If I make a new video, you guys will be the first to know! Thank you for the nice comments.

mtommer
07-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Regarding making a new video, head over to the collegiate board. There are some coaches who post there and can give you tips about what is the best to capture on film for perspective coaches.

Cameron
07-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Regarding making a new video, head over to the collegiate board. There are some coaches who post there and can give you tips about what is the best to capture on film for perspective coaches.

Thanks, I will definitely check that out before I make a new one.

LeeD
07-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Of course, you know why all the guys want to see your vid taken from behind.... :):):)
Also, I played with the Louie sisters my third year in tennis. Two of them won the Canadian Open, and I think Pea went on the later win some other's.
Both of them never ran to retrieve, didn't bother, didn't think it necessary.
Good you can run, can recover, can spin and return.
Hope you do well, you certainly have the strokes and the power to win at the top levels.

Cameron
07-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Of course, you know why all the guys want to see your vid taken from behind.... :):):)
Also, I played with the Louie sisters my third year in tennis. Two of them won the Canadian Open, and I think Pea went on the later win some other's.
Both of them never ran to retrieve, didn't bother, didn't think it necessary.
Good you can run, can recover, can spin and return.
Hope you do well, you certainly have the strokes and the power to win at the top levels.
In that case I will just stick to making a video of some points instead of a back view, even though I don't really know why guys would want it. Thanks for your comment.

TourTenor
07-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Cameron,
First, the mechanics of your forehand has to be one of the best I've seen. I also like your volleying technique, with good preparation and meeting everything out in front.

Here's my two cents on what to work on .... Your backhand is good but it looks like you occasionally lift out of the shot (a slight lift and turn). I think you should work on driving through the shot a bit more. I also think you could coil a bit more on your serves (I like to think of it as a rock back and roll forward). You have a good service motion but your body is slightly ahead of your arm motion causing you to lose some pop and snap on your serve. Let your body bring some additional forward momentum into the serve.

I think you have great potential for college tennis. Keep up the good work.:cool:

Dreamer
07-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Actually I prefer your backhand side to your forehand side. I like the form of your backhand side, it's very pretty. Though your forehand seems to be hit very flat.

I'm curious, which is your more natural stroke?

3lowdown
07-09-2009, 05:53 PM
you can drive the heck out of the ball, but i didnt see much variety with spin. I think you would do just fine doing what you are doing but, maybe (im no coach) you could add the spin element to your game and you would be much better off. :)

Claudius
07-09-2009, 06:03 PM
In that case I will just stick to making a video of some points instead of a back view, even though I don't really know why guys would want it. Thanks for your comment.

I would like it if you would do a video with a back view. I kind of want to see the depth and height of your shots.

Claudius
07-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Just out of curiosity, do you actually accelerate the racquet head faster on your 2nd serve?

How do you normally hit your 2nd serve? Kick or Slice?

Cameron
07-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Cameron,
First, the mechanics of your forehand has to be one of the best I've seen. I also like your volleying technique, with good preparation and meeting everything out in front.

Here's my two cents on what to work on .... Your backhand is good but it looks like you occasionally lift out of the shot (a slight lift and turn). I think you should work on driving through the shot a bit more. I also think you could coil a bit more on your serves (I like to think of it as a rock back and roll forward). You have a good service motion but your body is slightly ahead of your arm motion causing you to lose some pop and snap on your serve. Let your body bring some additional forward momentum into the serve.

I think you have great potential for college tennis. Keep up the good work.:cool:
Thank you for your great tips. I agree with all of them. I will definitely try and focus on driving through my backhand and I am actually working on the coil in my serve right now . Thanks again for your suggestions!

Cameron
07-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Actually I prefer your backhand side to your forehand side. I like the form of your backhand side, it's very pretty. Though your forehand seems to be hit very flat.

I'm curious, which is your more natural stroke?

My backhand used to be my best and most natural stroke and now my forehand is better. I do mix it up some with high topspin deep shots and some slice, drop-shots, and angles. I think I do a little better job of driving through my forehand so it is more penetrating.

Cameron
07-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Just out of curiosity, do you actually accelerate the racquet head faster on your 2nd serve?

How do you normally hit your 2nd serve? Kick or Slice?

I usually do kick for the 2nd serve and slice or flat for the 1st. When my serve is working well, it is because I am using my legs and I have good racket head speed.

Also, if and when I make a new video I will try and put some points from behind so you can see where my ball goes.

strcmp
07-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Nice strokes. What racquet do you use out of curiosity?

From the blurry video it looks somewhat like a wilson hyper pro staff 6.1, but I have a feeling it is not. If it were, you have a pretty fast swing speed for such a moderately heavy racquet.

tfm1973
07-10-2009, 12:06 AM
pretty good. consistent strokes, and looks like good pace. love the swinging volleys.

zappy -- pretty good? maybe compared to say the top WTA players. compared to the schmucks on this tennis forum (you and i included) - she's an extremely accomplished player and already plays at a 5.0+ level who will improve even more in college.

thanks for posting cameron. like the others, i would've liked to have seen a camera angle where we can see depth, pace and location of the shots.

volusiano
07-10-2009, 01:30 AM
It looks like you're rushing through your serve. Maybe it's because you're going through your serve drill for the video and just want to go through the motion to get to the next serve. Do you slow down when you serve for a real match play?

I'm not saying you should slow down during your service motion. But before you make that ball toss, maybe it would help if you take a second to pause and focus and deliberate on the serve before you execute it. Maybe it'll help with the things you mention you want to improve on, like more leg power and racket speed.

If you look at the pros serve, everybody does it differently, but the common thing they all do is they take their time. Some go through rituals. Others bounce the ball a lot. Some get into a standing pose for a second or so. Others just pause and stare and maybe make a face. But whatever they do, they slow down and concentrate and deliberate before they make their serve.

Sublime
07-10-2009, 10:13 AM
On your forehand you do what Venus Williams does. Straight back swing (no loop) and wait on the ball with your racket in one hand behind you before swinging forward.

Take it as an observation. I don't think its a technique a pro would teach, but Venus can counter that argument with 7 grand slam titles and a gold medal... and that's just singles.

hyogen
07-10-2009, 10:21 AM
very awesome. that's cool how you seem very committed to your faith as well :)

here's another girl who hits well, not sure if as well as you. but her one-handed backhand puts me, in general, to shame:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_0md8Tk2mw&feature=related

jmhs
07-10-2009, 11:39 AM
C, nice strokes. Also, your willingness to listen to input shows that you are very coachable.

Would like to see improvement on the bh slice. It appears to be an afterthought shot for you.

Cameron
07-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Nice strokes. What racquet do you use out of curiosity?

From the blurry video it looks somewhat like a wilson hyper pro staff 6.1, but I have a feeling it is not. If it were, you have a pretty fast swing speed for such a moderately heavy racquet.

Ya, you're right, it is the hyper pro staff. I love it. I have played with it for about 6 years. Nothing else feels as good.

mordecai
07-11-2009, 03:46 PM
I think you need to bring your weight closer to the ground. I think you also might want to develop more leg strength(lunges, squats are good). When you make your split step your knees are caving in, that usually indicates a lack of strength. Your hips have to open and you have to spread your feet out a bit further and get your legs bent on the split step. Think of riding a horse. Hope this helps.

Cameron
07-11-2009, 06:38 PM
I think you need to bring your weight closer to the ground. I think you also might want to develop more leg strength(lunges, squats are good). When you make your split step your knees are caving in, that usually indicates a lack of strength. Your hips have to open and you have to spread your feet out a bit further and get your legs bent on the split step. Think of riding a horse. Hope this helps.

I agree with what you said, I am working on lowering my playing height and I will focus on what you said about leg strength too. My coach actually has this belt thing that goes around your waist with bungee cords that strap on your ankles. It makes you stay down and it is very uncomfortable when you don't bend your knees. So, hopefully that is helping also. Thanks for your input.

Cameron
07-11-2009, 06:40 PM
C, nice strokes. Also, your willingness to listen to input shows that you are very coachable.

Would like to see improvement on the bh slice. It appears to be an afterthought shot for you.

Thank you. Also, the slice probably was an afterthought. I tend to hit it when I am being lazy and don't move to the ball.

zapvor
07-12-2009, 09:15 AM
zappy -- pretty good? maybe compared to say the top WTA players. compared to the schmucks on this tennis forum (you and i included) - she's an extremely accomplished player and already plays at a 5.0+ level who will improve even more in college.

thanks for posting cameron. like the others, i would've liked to have seen a camera angle where we can see depth, pace and location of the shots.

i dont think shes 5.0 good pace, good consistency. but look at the video. teh ball is hit to her pretty much. she has to do virtually zero footwork. anyone can stand in one place and blast it from teh baseline. tennis is a foot sport, not a racket sport, no?

but yes shes good and has good strokes. i guess i want to see some match play.

OhDear
07-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Honestly what do I think? I think you don't need us to critique you when it clearly says you are #2 in your state.

Cameron
07-13-2009, 06:11 AM
It looks like you're rushing through your serve. Maybe it's because you're going through your serve drill for the video and just want to go through the motion to get to the next serve. Do you slow down when you serve for a real match play?

I'm not saying you should slow down during your service motion. But before you make that ball toss, maybe it would help if you take a second to pause and focus and deliberate on the serve before you execute it. Maybe it'll help with the things you mention you want to improve on, like more leg power and racket speed.

If you look at the pros serve, everybody does it differently, but the common thing they all do is they take their time. Some go through rituals. Others bounce the ball a lot. Some get into a standing pose for a second or so. Others just pause and stare and maybe make a face. But whatever they do, they slow down and concentrate and deliberate before they make their serve.

Great tips, I do slow down in my matches. I have a routine bouncing the ball the same every time before I serve. I do tend to speed it up some in practice. In matches when I don't take my time I usually have trouble making my serves because I don't do the things you mentioned. Thank you, I agree with all you said.

Cameron
07-13-2009, 06:16 AM
Honestly what do I think? I think you don't need us to critique you when it clearly says you are #2 in your state.

Just because I am around #2 in my state doesn't mean I don't need critiques. My state isn't the best there is and I am not too good that I can't improve. I just want to see if you guys notice something in my game that could be easily fixed but that I don't notice.

Cameron
07-13-2009, 06:18 AM
i dont think shes 5.0 good pace, good consistency. but look at the video. teh ball is hit to her pretty much. she has to do virtually zero footwork. anyone can stand in one place and blast it from teh baseline. tennis is a foot sport, not a racket sport, no?

but yes shes good and has good strokes. i guess i want to see some match play.

I hit the same in a match, and although my footwork may not be the best, I can run down shots. It is not just a racket sport for me. I would put up a video of me playing points or a match if I had one. Sorry.

zapvor
07-13-2009, 06:19 AM
didnt mean to be so harsh. you are a good player:)

Power Player
07-13-2009, 06:49 AM
I liked it a lot. Good footwork and you hit your forehand kind of the same way I do. Racquet back early and the double bend thing happening.

I see a HS girl that hits on my courts with the same swing, but she is not consistent and her comfort zone is limited. She is not that fun to hit with because of this..you look like you'd be able to handle a lot of shots because your footwork is pretty nice.

plasma
07-13-2009, 07:57 AM
I worked for NCAA an coach from 1995-2000 and am a PTR certified "professional" rated in skills and stroke analysis. I will tell you what a recruiter or scout or NCAA coach would say about your game.
The hip sinking comment was right on.
Also you need to extend your non dominant , non hitting hand in front of your shoulder and body more and keep it there longer on the fh,
you seem to have this lovely bounce motion on the forheands, right before the one minute mark.
This is far from pro form though,
you need to explode and rotate your body and transfer your weight more. Turn...then run, Cameron.
after that you crab walk to some bh's when you should explode into a pivot before running.

at 1:45 you get sloppy and crab walk to some bakhands and then at 2:05 you show better weight transfer and ball of foot to toe timing than many pros. great potential. You are a brilliant 4.5 and your athleticism and love for the sport shine.
I am sad to see you pivot a lot when you should be in better and earlier position on the groundies and moving more weight towards net.
You seem to be hitting way to much off the back leg. It is a legit stroke but if you have time leverage your weight forward more.
You are about two inches short of perfect athletic height. THis means you need to pretend you are sitting on a bench and drop your hips two inches like you are pressing down on a bench.
I teach boxing too, if you knew how to do this you could drop a man twice your size. Without knowing how to drop from the hips like this and not move the arms independent of the body you will eventually hurt yourself in any sport.
You need to come study with a certified high level technical pro and learn the game all over to get to a serious professional level, regardless of what you pursue in life professionally.
Not trying to be mean but you are not working correct rudimentary footwork.

Sometimes it seems like you pop up on the shot, I'd like you to try sitting on the forehand a bit, without pitching forward, starting on the rear ball and transferring to the toe.

That rear view exposes lots of flaws. Slow late unexplosive split step.
This prancing thing you do which is too much needless and mistimes slow weight transfer,
Your volleys are excellent, it's obvious you learned proper form but don't drill them much since you are late every time and 3 inches behind proper contact point and slow or non existent feet rotation and facing full on to the net wont work on real shots, only what you are being fed on the vid.
on slow forehand volleys your feet are slow and thus your ball is short and weak.
You fail to turn your body and make feet lateral on BOTH forehand and bh volley....lay-zeee
Do you have someone to drill you? , feed you?, and pick up balls for you??? all are important if you wan't to get to high D1 level, Cameron. \
Glad to see your potential, high level and talent at net, good to work the backboard on volleys and step in on every volley, your volleys need work.
Your overhead looks great, buuuuttt
your overhead prep is super lazy and you don't understand split step timing. The second after you see it's a lob you gotta turn, then double straddle back, then step forward with the front leg and swing from the hip, not the arm,
your last oh is lazy and late, scouts are looking at your feet...nothing else, trust me.
try using the elbow to point on the oh, just something to play with,
get into position and turn before moving an inch on any shot,
stop this cute deer prance leg to leg hop thing, save that for the dance floor, light practice hits or good cardio. You gotta sink slpit step and explode, stop being hypnotized by slow balls and matching their rythm and get your feet in place explosively, otherwise you will not be strong enough to compete with better players as your strokes will be late and your body will not be in position to react strongly.
You are in great shape but need to learn about 500 things technically then drill them.
You keep your knees parallel in superb athletic form but have to work deep lunges without the spine tipping forward to get more skilled and powerful from the backcourt, your slice needs extreme work and drilling as well. And of course rotating before moving to the ball and not bringing the rear foot through but pivoting on the rear ball on those fh's. It will come through naturally a bit, but you should focus on foot pivot, not bringing the hip and leg straight thru.
Scouts want to see perfect form, not hitting... you move and rotate at the same time, you need to rotate 90 degrees cleanly, before moving or stepping to the ball.
Then you are using your hips, legs, feet calf muscles and not straining your lats bicep, and forearm.
Seem to be loosing momentum and lack continuos motion on the serve. You also need to align and turn forward the rear leg starting position or keep it and exxagerate its second position and thrust up hips more into the ball on your service motion which is geting there, also since your body doesn't rotate backward smoothly on your service motion you loose energy.
Have you ever considered resting the racquet on your opposite wrist instead of holding it against the ball??? just a different thing to try. Some player like it because it reminds you to stay loose and use the weight of the racquet.
gods blessed you with a 6.0 swing volley, perfect
rest needs serious improvement, mostly perfect upper body but lack of proper fundemental advanced footrork...
would work wrist and forearms with tiny weights and rotator cuff exercises with threabands for your competetive level.
sorry for all the technical info, I also write for magazines so I like to talk...
who is your coach????
are you getting 2-3 technical workouts a week with a certified coach???
congrats on your amazing success. Good luck

Cameron
07-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Wow, you have a lot of time on your hands, don't you? I agree with a lot of what you said, but if I try and work on all that at one time, I might as well quit tennis right now. Your post is kind of overwhelming and very negative to me. I know you are trying to give me critiques and that is what I asked for but after reading your post, I feel like the only thing I am halfway good at is hit swinging volleys. I workout with a coach Mon.-Thurs. I am not going to put his name out here, but I think he is a pretty good coach. I will try my best to work on things you said, thank you for your comments.

plasma
07-13-2009, 08:10 PM
Sorry, I'm actually very busy with new stories and work don't have the free time I wish I did, or that you might think I do. Sadly, you thought my constructive criticism was negative. I guess you wanted someone to tell you that you were good instead of give you constructive criticism, and indeed I mentioned your natural talent many times, but not enough to make you feel good so there's no way I can help or respond.
I'm sorry that you felt slighted.
Your training video is very good.
Good luck in working with your coach to achieve your goals

Double bagel
07-13-2009, 09:38 PM
Some observations:

More explosiveness on your serve. You arm the ball, and you could employ more proper use of kinetic chain.

The overhead is a little awkward. It looks effective enough to beat up hs level...but in top D1 that shot needs to be in your arsenal. It looks like you take it for granted a little, and at higher levels this will demoralize you when you miss these shots.

The Hyper Pro Staff is a sweet stick.

Need to see match play to answer pertinent questions such as the ability to absorb pace (see the Swedish girls recruitment vid in this thread, can you consistently absorb brutally struck balls? Like LeeD said about your scampering ability. Can you retrieve like Henin...or not care like Hantuchova?

You are a good player, keep it up.

SourStraws
07-13-2009, 10:18 PM
I worked for NCAA an coach from 1995-2000 and am a PTR certified "professional" rated in skills and stroke analysis. I will tell you what a recruiter or scout or NCAA coach would say about your game.
The hip sinking comment was right on.
Also you need to extend your non dominant , non hitting hand in front of your shoulder and body more and keep it there longer on the fh,
you seem to have this lovely bounce motion on the forheands, right before the one minute mark.
This is far from pro form though,
you need to explode and rotate your body and transfer your weight more. Turn...then run, Cameron.
after that you crab walk to some bh's when you should explode into a pivot before running.

at 1:45 you get sloppy and crab walk to some bakhands and then at 2:05 you show better weight transfer and ball of foot to toe timing than many pros. great potential. You are a brilliant 4.5 and your athleticism and love for the sport shine.
I am sad to see you pivot a lot when you should be in better and earlier position on the groundies and moving more weight towards net.
You seem to be hitting way to much off the back leg. It is a legit stroke but if you have time leverage your weight forward more.
You are about two inches short of perfect athletic height. THis means you need to pretend you are sitting on a bench and drop your hips two inches like you are pressing down on a bench.
I teach boxing too, if you knew how to do this you could drop a man twice your size. Without knowing how to drop from the hips like this and not move the arms independent of the body you will eventually hurt yourself in any sport.
You need to come study with a certified high level technical pro and learn the game all over to get to a serious professional level, regardless of what you pursue in life professionally.
Not trying to be mean but you are not working correct rudimentary footwork.

Sometimes it seems like you pop up on the shot, I'd like you to try sitting on the forehand a bit, without pitching forward, starting on the rear ball and transferring to the toe.

That rear view exposes lots of flaws. Slow late unexplosive split step.
This prancing thing you do which is too much needless and mistimes slow weight transfer,
Your volleys are excellent, it's obvious you learned proper form but don't drill them much since you are late every time and 3 inches behind proper contact point and slow or non existent feet rotation and facing full on to the net wont work on real shots, only what you are being fed on the vid.
on slow forehand volleys your feet are slow and thus your ball is short and weak.
You fail to turn your body and make feet lateral on BOTH forehand and bh volley....lay-zeee
Do you have someone to drill you? , feed you?, and pick up balls for you??? all are important if you wan't to get to high D1 level, Cameron. \
Glad to see your potential, high level and talent at net, good to work the backboard on volleys and step in on every volley, your volleys need work.
Your overhead looks great, buuuuttt
your overhead prep is super lazy and you don't understand split step timing. The second after you see it's a lob you gotta turn, then double straddle back, then step forward with the front leg and swing from the hip, not the arm,
your last oh is lazy and late, scouts are looking at your feet...nothing else, trust me.
try using the elbow to point on the oh, just something to play with,
get into position and turn before moving an inch on any shot,
stop this cute deer prance leg to leg hop thing, save that for the dance floor, light practice hits or good cardio. You gotta sink slpit step and explode, stop being hypnotized by slow balls and matching their rythm and get your feet in place explosively, otherwise you will not be strong enough to compete with better players as your strokes will be late and your body will not be in position to react strongly.
You are in great shape but need to learn about 500 things technically then drill them.
You keep your knees parallel in superb athletic form but have to work deep lunges without the spine tipping forward to get more skilled and powerful from the backcourt, your slice needs extreme work and drilling as well. And of course rotating before moving to the ball and not bringing the rear foot through but pivoting on the rear ball on those fh's. It will come through naturally a bit, but you should focus on foot pivot, not bringing the hip and leg straight thru.
Scouts want to see perfect form, not hitting... you move and rotate at the same time, you need to rotate 90 degrees cleanly, before moving or stepping to the ball.
Then you are using your hips, legs, feet calf muscles and not straining your lats bicep, and forearm.
Seem to be loosing momentum and lack continuos motion on the serve. You also need to align and turn forward the rear leg starting position or keep it and exxagerate its second position and thrust up hips more into the ball on your service motion which is geting there, also since your body doesn't rotate backward smoothly on your service motion you loose energy.
Have you ever considered resting the racquet on your opposite wrist instead of holding it against the ball??? just a different thing to try. Some player like it because it reminds you to stay loose and use the weight of the racquet.
gods blessed you with a 6.0 swing volley, perfect
rest needs serious improvement, mostly perfect upper body but lack of proper fundemental advanced footrork...
would work wrist and forearms with tiny weights and rotator cuff exercises with threabands for your competetive level.
sorry for all the technical info, I also write for magazines so I like to talk...
who is your coach????
are you getting 2-3 technical workouts a week with a certified coach???
congrats on your amazing success. Good luck

Wow....Nice analysis...Asses me if I can get a vid up! lol

S.S.

Power Player
07-14-2009, 09:41 AM
feel like the only thing I am halfway good at is hit swinging volleys.

Now you are just being hard on yourself. You have good form. Easily a college player.

LeeD
07-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Gotta agree with Plasma's critique.
This is supposed to be an audition vid for propective schools.
You are currently a good 5.5 womens player.... meaning if you played a serious match against men players, they'd be 4.5's.
Right where lots of us were or are......
Please don't take Plasma's critique in a negative way. You have the tools to make 7.0 womens, get to first rounds regularly, and have some success.
But from where you are right now, I don't see a chance to go 4 Q rounds and win a first round main draw.
I've practiced, hit with, dated, and travelled with more than 6 top junior and some pro level women. All had serious, easily seen flaws in their games...why else would they use me as a regular hitting partner...I was only a B player or 4.5 mens.
Some of them actually WON pro tournaments, but not because their strokes and movement helped out lots (talking 5.5 and 6.5 levels), but luck of the draw and being in the right place at the right time.
Please take your time and reread Plasma's critique. It's what I would have said to most of my buddettes who plunged into the world of women's pro tournaments.

Claudius
07-14-2009, 11:06 AM
Yeah, you need to snap you wrist on your serve. Do this and you'll see that you'll get WAY more pop on your serve. Women don't seem to do this too much and I don't know why. And to be honest, a follow through on the serve isn't that important, it's all about the wrist snap.

Use these pictures as a reference. See how the forearm is pronated as a result of the wrist snap.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44096000/jpg/_44096690_gulbis_ap_300.jpg

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2006/08/28/roddick.jpg

This is wrong.....
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44801000/jpg/_44801952_dementieva_serves300.jpg

Double bagel
07-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Claudius...you need to follow through on your serve since if you don't it means you're either; not accelerating the racquet at and through contact, thus hitting the ball with the same racquet speed throughout the motion, or you are doing this properly, yet stopping the racquet prematurely...leading to serious shoulder and elbow issues.

Double bagel
07-14-2009, 12:53 PM
I agree the wrist snap is vital...perhaps as much as 5mph. A good drill is to stand on service line, do your toss, and instead of trying to get it over the net, smack down on it with wrist snap into your court and try to get it to clear the fence after one bounce. But be CAREFUL at first!

Djokovicfan4life
07-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Yeah, you need to snap you wrist on your serve. Do this and you'll see that you'll get WAY more pop on your serve. Women don't seem to do this too much and I don't know why. And to be honest, a follow through on the serve isn't that important, it's all about the wrist snap.

Use these pictures as a reference. See how the forearm is pronated as a result of the wrist snap.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44096000/jpg/_44096690_gulbis_ap_300.jpg

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2006/08/28/roddick.jpg

This is wrong.....
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44801000/jpg/_44801952_dementieva_serves300.jpg

Those first two images are taken at an earlier stage of the serve than the Dementieva pic. Roddick and Gulbis follow through the same way, ending on the left side of the body. But those pics were taken pretty much right after contact instead of at the completion of the service motion.

I'm not saying Dementieva pronates as much as Roddick or Gulbis, but she obviously does it due to the nature of the continental grip.

Check out 1:07 in this video: looks the same as Dementieva.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T__9ZuSID4w

The Wreck
07-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Plasma's critique was very good, and I'm sure Cameron would agree. But it was super negative as well. There was a lot of constructive criticism, but it all had such a negative and derogatory overtone that it is hard for someone to accept. Plasma had great things to say, but I don't think he said them with very much tact.

As any high level tennis player knows, we are all perfectionists when it comes to our game, and a bit prideful as well. I'm sure Cameron appreciated the post from Plasma, but at the time, almost felt attacked. It's hard to listen to someone say little to nothing positive about you when you know you are a very good player.

Cameron
07-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Sorry, I'm actually very busy with new stories and work don't have the free time I wish I did, or that you might think I do. Sadly, you thought my constructive criticism was negative. I guess you wanted someone to tell you that you were good instead of give you constructive criticism, and indeed I mentioned your natural talent many times, but not enough to make you feel good so there's no way I can help or respond.
I'm sorry that you felt slighted.
Your training video is very good.
Good luck in working with your coach to achieve your goals

I'm sorry Plasma, you are right, I didn't put my video up here for compliments. I put it up for criticism. Thank you very much for your analysis and I do appreciate your taking the time to give me advice. I agree with what you said, it is just kind of overwhelming for me to look at all I need to fix in a few paragraphs. I don't really think that my coach can help me fix all those things, so hopefully in college, I will reach a whole new level and improve in all the areas you mentioned. Until then, I will do the best I can on my own. Thanks again for all you said, and I am sorry about my comment.

Cameron
07-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks everyone for the tips, I played a tournament this weekend and tried to work on what you guys said. I had a pretty good tournament and felt good about my play, thank you again for everything!

Cameron
07-19-2009, 07:15 PM
Gotta agree with Plasma's critique.
This is supposed to be an audition vid for propective schools.
You are currently a good 5.5 womens player.... meaning if you played a serious match against men players, they'd be 4.5's.
Right where lots of us were or are......
Please don't take Plasma's critique in a negative way. You have the tools to make 7.0 womens, get to first rounds regularly, and have some success.
But from where you are right now, I don't see a chance to go 4 Q rounds and win a first round main draw.
I've practiced, hit with, dated, and travelled with more than 6 top junior and some pro level women. All had serious, easily seen flaws in their games...why else would they use me as a regular hitting partner...I was only a B player or 4.5 mens.
Some of them actually WON pro tournaments, but not because their strokes and movement helped out lots (talking 5.5 and 6.5 levels), but luck of the draw and being in the right place at the right time.
Please take your time and reread Plasma's critique. It's what I would have said to most of my buddettes who plunged into the world of women's pro tournaments.
Okay, I will. Thank you for your advice. It sounds like you have very good experience.

teachestennis
07-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Hi Cameron, love your show of faith. Nice strokes also. Are you aware of www.tennisministry.org? Over 11,000 subcribers to Bob Kraft's newsletter, he is the "pastor to the pros", so to speak. I am working with him on the conversion to coaching modern tennis techniques per Oscar Wegner's Modern Tennis Methodology. You might want to email Oscar Wegner himself as he would likely give you some insights on your video as he loves to help juniors do better. I think he has the best eye of any tennis coach in the world and I don't say that lightly. His site is tennisteacher.com if you don't know who he is. Let me know if you want him to look at your video. He helped the Ritz Sisters get Harvard scholarships by working with them, coached Spadea preparing him for the pros as well as Luanne and Diana Spade who scholarshipped at Duke. Internationally he's very famous but now resides in Florida. Check out his website and if you are interested, you can call him and hear what he has to say.

DavaiMarat
07-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Here is my video. Sorry, the quality is poor. Any tips, comments or critiques would be great. Thank you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwAc7JxQDs0

Great strokes. Nice and light on the feet. Compact swing. Alot of guys could learn a thing or two from you on this board.

I'm a former college player myself and I've done a fair bit of coaching so if I may point out a little hitch.

Your serve. You have good form but there's a hitch in the motion. You Toss, arm goes up, the racquet pauses in the 'trophy position' then accelerate into the ball. You're losing a bit of your kinetic chain once you pause. If the racquet can flow from the back scratch position into the fully extended hitting position you'll get a few more MPH and get a bit more spin on the sucker, ie. a heavier ball. Think of it this way.... say -'slow, slow fast.'

1st slow = arms coming apart extended the tossing arm. Weight transfering off back foot.
2nd slow = left hip is extending into the court, tossing arm is fully extended, weight 99% on the left foot, racquet down or behind back (either way). Right shoulder down.
3rd fast = Explosion into the ball, racquet fully extended, right shoulder elevated, left arm curls into body, exploding off the left foot - then landing on the left foot. Body opens up. (You know this part anyhow).

Now remember throughout the 3 phases the racquet is always in motion and never pausesm it may slow down but it doesn't come to a complete stop.

Hey good luck you, you got the game. If you got good game mentality your well on your way.

God bless,

Mike

DavaiMarat
07-22-2009, 11:41 AM
Wow, you have a lot of time on your hands, don't you? I agree with a lot of what you said, but if I try and work on all that at one time, I might as well quit tennis right now. Your post is kind of overwhelming and very negative to me. I know you are trying to give me critiques and that is what I asked for but after reading your post, I feel like the only thing I am halfway good at is hit swinging volleys. I workout with a coach Mon.-Thurs. I am not going to put his name out here, but I think he is a pretty good coach. I will try my best to work on things you said, thank you for your comments.

Cameron, I know it's a lot to take in but in all honesty, who ever plasma is just spend a better part of a hour probably trying to critique your video. He could of worded things slightly better and delivered in a nicer way but sometimes stuff like this is better served cold and hard.

In fact I'd thank Plasma, the fact he/she took the time to take your game apart professionally means only one thing, you've got the goods to be critiqued. If you were some 3.5 he would never of bothered. The things he said are very specific and even though we all sometimes 'crab walk' to the ball things are things you don't want to show in your video. You want the best and only the best. No flaws. Your recruiting video is your tennis resume. It should be unblemished.

<online hug>

Don't get discouraged. Show the critique to your coach and let him tell you what you should or shouldn't take under consideration.

Every one is impressed, don't worry. And in the end, everyone has an opinion. The difference is 'how it affects you'.

Good luck girl,

Post and tell us what University you get a scholarship to!

DavaiMarat
07-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Hi Cameron, love your show of faith. Nice strokes also. Are you aware of www.tennisministry.org? Over 11,000 subcribers to Bob Kraft's newsletter, he is the "pastor to the pros", so to speak. I am working with him on the conversion to coaching modern tennis techniques per Oscar Wegner's Modern Tennis Methodology. You might want to email Oscar Wegner himself as he would likely give you some insights on your video as he loves to help juniors do better. I think he has the best eye of any tennis coach in the world and I don't say that lightly. His site is tennisteacher.com if you don't know who he is. Let me know if you want him to look at your video. He helped the Ritz Sisters get Harvard scholarships by working with them, coached Spadea preparing him for the pros as well as Luanne and Diana Spade who scholarshipped at Duke. Internationally he's very famous but now resides in Florida. Check out his website and if you are interested, you can call him and hear what he has to say.

Lol, I love Oscar Wegner. His vids really changed the way I started teaching beginners. It's nice to break the rigidity of some of the old ways and let beginners have some early success rallying. My friends told me I could get two people who have never played tennis before rallying from the baseline (8 balls over was the critiera) after an hour. They were wrong and I was a tad richer!

Cheers,

Mike

NamRanger
07-22-2009, 11:49 AM
What Plasma posted is true though. It may appear to be negative, but it is what you need to work on. However, the problems he listed are minor compared to what most people have to work on (like me = need to be more fit let alone my technique problems haha).

KonTrol
07-22-2009, 12:35 PM
love the foot work and forehands

teachestennis
07-23-2009, 06:29 AM
Hi Mike, Oscar is still revolutionizing tennis at the grassroots. See http://www.tennisteacher.com/UK-News.htm to see how he's revolutionizing tennis instruction in England; even the LTA is granting points for coaches learning Oscar's method. Check out www.moderntenniscoaches.com to see what's going on and browse the MTM Forum to read the Real History of USA Tennis Instruction. This Cameron girl is doing fine, but she and her coach should consider going to see Oscar next week in Atlanta or in Orlando the first week in August. Her coach is obviously a very good coach, but she has a few slight flaws easily fixable and if I knew who he was, I'd invite him to talk to Oscar. Email me at eztennisswing@yahoo.com if you have any questions about what is going on as the entire tennis world is adopting much of Oscar's stuff even if they don't admit it, but the problem is they water it down or make it too complicated or continue to introduce contradictory data, as seen by the many suggestions Cameron got. I'm highly certified with 30 years teaching, and she can easily fix everything in a few hours without having to redo her game if her coach just contacts Oscar. Lets see if he has an open mind. What would he and she have to lose? A lot could be gained from the man who developed Guga Kuerten, one of the great ball strikers of all time.

DavaiMarat
07-23-2009, 06:44 AM
Hi Mike, Oscar is still revolutionizing tennis at the grassroots. See http://www.tennisteacher.com/UK-News.htm to see how he's revolutionizing tennis instruction in England; even the LTA is granting points for coaches learning Oscar's method. Check out www.moderntenniscoaches.com to see what's going on and browse the MTM Forum to read the Real History of USA Tennis Instruction. This Cameron girl is doing fine, but she and her coach should consider going to see Oscar next week in Atlanta or in Orlando the first week in August. Her coach is obviously a very good coach, but she has a few slight flaws easily fixable and if I knew who he was, I'd invite him to talk to Oscar. Email me at eztennisswing@yahoo.com if you have any questions about what is going on as the entire tennis world is adopting much of Oscar's stuff even if they don't admit it, but the problem is they water it down or make it too complicated or continue to introduce contradictory data, as seen by the many suggestions Cameron got. I'm highly certified with 30 years teaching, and she can easily fix everything in a few hours without having to redo her game if her coach just contacts Oscar. Lets see if he has an open mind. What would he and she have to lose? A lot could be gained from the man who developed Guga Kuerten, one of the great ball strikers of all time.

Cheers, I certainly will. Tell Oscar I love his techniques especially theory of the 'finding the ball with your hand'. He makes tennis simple, I wish I learned this way, it would have made my journey a lot faster (though I had a very fine coach growing up). I agree, that poor girl is bombarded by feedback and probably doesn't know where to look or in someways even digest the material. Connecting to essence of natural body movements like Oscar does will help this girl tremendously.

I hope she decides to seek Oscar's aid. I certainly would recommend it.