PDA

View Full Version : some drills to make you keep eye on the balls?

luthertn
07-07-2009, 08:07 PM
my eye contact for the ball really suck ..my eyes are soo stubborn wont keep on the ball ,even if i do i look at the person later agian..than get off balance..what are some drills to help me to make sure to have i eye contact?

Blake0
07-07-2009, 08:24 PM
I seriously doubt there's a drill for this. Best way to make this a habit is to concentrate on the ball and keep your eyes on it, and don't forget. Do this for awhile and it'll become second nature.

LeeD
07-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Simple drill.... play lots of tennis.
When you get tired of mishitting and hitting long, short, or wide, you will maybe decide to quit tennis, as it's a frustrating sport.
Or, you will decide to look at the ball....:shock::shock:

dgoldman
07-08-2009, 12:38 PM
I try to focus on the seams. It helps in a few ways as you can see the spin of the ball plus it gives your eyes something to try and decipher which actually helps me keep my eyes on the ball.

In D Zone
07-08-2009, 12:45 PM
my eye contact for the ball really suck ..my eyes are soo stubborn wont keep on the ball ,even if i do i look at the person later agian..than get off balance..what are some drills to help me to make sure to have i eye contact?

one easy drill comes into mind is playing mini tennis.

both players stand right behind the service line (no man's land). Objective is to rally but keeping the ball to land inside the service line. No need to hit hard, objectives are to keep the rally going while working on the footwork, technique and keeping your eye on the ball.

Try doing this drill as part of the warm up. It really helps!

Bud
07-08-2009, 01:51 PM

I bet a really great drill to practice keeping your eye on the ball would be this...

Take about 30-50 practice balls... and (using a thick permanent black marker) mark them with a fairly large symbol, letter or number (use 5 or so different/random markings). Then, have your hitting partner feed them to you. Before striking each ball, loudly call out the number, letter or symbol marked on the ball.

I concentrate on the seams of the ball when I find myself drifting off mentally... but this would make you ID and call out the marking on every ball that is hit to you.

I'll have to try this sometime, myself :)

wngan9447
07-08-2009, 06:05 PM

Are you having issues keeping you eye on the ball while its going over the net or when you are about to hit the ball?

Two separate and yet very important times to keep your eye on the ball.