PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions to address

Jessica
07-07-2009, 08:25 PM
(1)
Someone told me that using a 2hbh volley will hurt me in the long run, how? Because my 2hbh volley is rock solid right now. So stable and I'm so confident about it as oppose to a one hand back hand volley

(2)
Also, I'm playing in a tournament in about 10 days. And I need some tips on how to be just as good during points as I am when I practice hitting.

(3)
A coach that I'm playing with right now tells me to hit deep and down the line all the time. And now I'm really bad at cross court. Should I focus on the ball more on crosscourt? Am I suppose to swing differently or have a different grip on cross courts? I mean I have directional control, I just can't make satisfying angles.

(4)
How to deal with topspin balls that go above my shoulder. All I can do right now is lob it back for them to kill it.

Lots of questions, do your best to give me some pointers, as I'm too lazy to search for the tips myself. Thanks!

plowmanjoe
07-07-2009, 08:28 PM
2 handed back hand volley will hurt you in the long run if volleying is part of your game.

it limits your reach, and now you have 2 grip to think about when reacting at the net.

best way to be better in matches is to play more matches. most people don't play enough practice matches and they wonder why they don't perform when it comes to tournaments. drills and matchplay are two different things.

or you just need to be more relaxed and not as nervous, playing tournaments helps there too.

not sure why your coach is telling you to hit down the line all the time, but your stroke should be pretty much the same no matter where you're hitting it. just a little different timing and racquet angle maybe.

i do two things to deal with high topspin. taking the ball on the rise, and surprising my opponent with an approach volley. it just takes a lot of practice, but once you get those down, you'll be a much better player. or you can do what nadal does and stand 10 feet back from the baseline. i'm not really a fan of that tactic though.

LeeD
07-08-2009, 09:47 AM
With your questions, you'll probably never become more than a 5.0 player, so don't worry about your two handed backhand volley.
Some players who played OK, like JimmyConnors, FrewMcMillan, GeneMayer, HaroldSolomon (but not his buddy EddyDibbs) sorta did OK in tennis with a two handed backhand volley.
Your problem to solve is the REST OF YOUR GAME!

Cenc
07-08-2009, 10:41 AM
i like the question about being able to play like in practise sessions
well few things to consider in every match:
1) its just a match, its not life or death
2) ur opponent lost many matches prior to this one and will lose many after so why not the one against u?!
3) try to forget the fact that its a tournament, you play against the ball not against your opponent
so look at the ball and not at the opponent and just hit it as if your coach sent it to you
yes its easy to say tough to do
also if you get the choice in the beginning and if you feel nervous, choose to return so that you can calm down before your serve
if you feel ok and if your serve is good enough choose to serve so that you're always in adv
and most important:
dont try to hard, u dont need to do anything special, just return the ball once more than your opponent does

masterxfob
07-08-2009, 11:58 AM
(1) unless you're planning on turning pro, i wouldn't worry about it. if it works for you and doesn't put you into a vulnerable position, then use it.

(2) i like to begin a match by assuming my opponent is better than me and is going to win, so i have a nothing to lose mentality. once you start thinking that you're better than your opponent, that you should bagel/stick them, then you start piling pressure on yourself. after a few loose games, you may discover that you have a chance at winning.

(3) doesn't sound like he's a very good coach. crosscourt is generally an easier shot, but it shouldn't be neglected in your practice sessions. for many of your shots, your hips are a good indicator of where the ball will go. the more you open up, the wider the ball will go.

(4) probably not the best person to comment on this one as i have problems with it as well. anyhow, if i can read the shot early enough, i'll rush the net and take it in the air or hit it early off the bounce.

mtommer
07-08-2009, 12:26 PM
(1)
Someone told me that using a 2hbh volley will hurt me in the long run, how? Because my 2hbh volley is rock solid right now. So stable and I'm so confident about it as oppose to a one hand back hand volley

Don't lose the 2hbh volley. Instead add the 1hbh volley. You'll learn your comfort points on when to use either one.

(2)
Also, I'm playing in a tournament in about 10 days. And I need some tips on how to be just as good during points as I am when I practice hitting.

What do you know at this point right now? You know you don't hit as well in a match compared to when you are just practicing. So, instead of worrying so much about winning, worry about making your shots. Sure it sucks to lose but think about how much you will put yourself in a position to win once you get matchplay stroke confidence. Read Pete Sampras' book. He mentions this aspect when he went from a 2hbh to a 1hbh.

(3)
A coach that I'm playing with right now tells me to hit deep and down the line all the time. And now I'm really bad at cross court. Should I focus on the ball more on crosscourt? Am I suppose to swing differently or have a different grip on cross courts? I mean I have directional control, I just can't make satisfying angles.

Think about this, you already know the answer. How did you get decent at hitting balls deep and down the line? You practiced it ad nauseum so to speak. Do the same now for cross court shots. There is no difference in your stroke, just your body position ie you are turned more towards where you intend to hit the ball.

(4)
How to deal with topspin balls that go above my shoulder. All I can do right now is lob it back for them to kill it.

Hehe, if you ever figure this out let me know. I suck at high balls too!

LuckyR
07-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Get a new coach, fast. Hitting DTL repeatedly as advice is denying the geometry of the court.

user92626
07-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Why are high balls difficult?

Can't you just improve your shot reading skill, back up a step or two and hit a regular groundie?

Or do what I like: tilt your body a bit and swing high and a downward trajectory. This high swing is powerful because it's fully extent and large.

Nonentity
07-08-2009, 02:34 PM
(1)

-its better to learn one hand. More reach and faster take back will be crucial as you move up the ratings.

(2)

Experience. Make sure you don't get over zealous just because it is a match. Just play tennis. If you are nervous in tourneys, you just need more experience. Also don't be afraid of losing, and just play.

(3)

Cross court is a really important shot, you should definitely practice it. Make sure you take the ball early and in front of you when going cross court. If you hit DTL every time you might have developed a habit of letting the ball get beside you.

(4)

-Move back as soon as you recognize its going to be high, so you can take it at a more reasonable level
or
-practice taking those balls right after they bounce, before they jump up, although this is tricky and it will take some time to get the timing down.
or
-slice it back
or
-if it's not too high you can hit it with your same basic ground stroke, but you have to modify it by starting the swing high (at your head level), and then hitting through the ball and finishing even higher. This is a tough shot, and not very powerful, but you can try it

J011yroger
07-08-2009, 03:14 PM
I am very dissapointed in the responces to the 2hbh volley question.

J

dincuss
07-08-2009, 03:23 PM
(4)

Hehe, if you ever figure this out let me know. I suck at high balls too!

What grip are you guys using, Usually western gripped players have an easier time with higher balls.

Anyways instead of changing grip sizes you could always back up and wait for it to drop down to a preferred height, or take the ball off early on the bounce.

mtommer
07-08-2009, 04:01 PM
What grip are you guys using, Usually western gripped players have an easier time with higher balls.

Anyways instead of changing grip sizes you could always back up and wait for it to drop down to a preferred height, or take the ball off early on the bounce.

I can't use a a western grip, it just feels weird to me. I can do alright just slicing the ball back but mostly my problems stem from trying to hit the ball back with fast pace. I haven't quite got the knack of hitting the ball with a flat face yet and so I either try imparting too much spin (and thus not enough pace) by trying to come over the ball or hit long because I hit off my back foot leading to hitting with an open face as I'm trying to come over the ball. I'm working on it.

LeeD
07-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Talking volleys, that slightly shorter reach is easily muted when you let go and lunge for the ball, just like two handers on wide groundies, you get it back.
Or hit it off handed.

ubermeyer
07-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Fabrice Santoro hits a 2hbh volley, and he reached World no. 6, so I don't think you need to learn the 1hbh volley.

Yes, you should focus on cross court. And for high balls, swing fast and levelly (so YOU can kill it instead of them) or slice it, instead of putting topspin.

wngan9447
07-08-2009, 07:09 PM
(4)

Get it on the rise... fine someone that can hit these to you repeatedly and get them off the rise. I do play this a little different sometimes. If i know it's not going to be too deep, I don't let it bounce at all. I slam it back on the decline.

About playing like you do in practice... be confident and play the match the way YOU play. If you gave it your best and lose, you at least knew it was your game.