PDA

View Full Version : Slice backhand swing pattern

aimr75
07-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Posted this in another thread, but no luck with responses so thought id start a thread.

Is it a typical pattern for the slice to have the racquet face pointing somewhat to the net at the top of the swing, then in the forward motion become open and face the sky before closing again facing the net at impact?

I dont think i do this, mind you, my slice is not very good, hence the post

some examples of what im trying to explain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFThz9QDYGo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GzW401yri4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb2mpB8te7k

coyfish
07-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Difficult to explain but yes . . . It depends on the amount of spin you want to put on your slice. I have a good slice but the biggest thing I focused on when developing mine was making sure my wrist / racquet made an almost 90 degree angle all the way through contact. Watch djokovic's slice. He has a 90 degree angle through contact. Then follow through. Takes practice to find the angle in which you need to strike the ball but make sure ur 90 degrees and you follow through like in the videos and you should be on your way to a better slice.

Kevo
07-08-2009, 09:16 AM
It varies a bit depending on the height of the ball at impact. The face is more open on low balls than high balls, but in general you're correct.

larry10s
07-08-2009, 09:34 AM
in all underspin shots the racquet face goes from more open to more closed to more open swing path. the racquet face pointing towards the net to start is a more modern thing from my observation . cant find a link but ken rosewall had the racqet face more at an angle facing the sky than foward toward the net. i think guga too

LeeD
07-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Results count, not the video analysis of swing path and face angle....
There are MANY different kinds of slice shots, from drops to short angles to offensive penetrating skids to defensive low placements, to deep approach's, and some are hit with differerent grips by the same players. Even lobs.
Since the grip changes, the swing changes with each different slice, then there is NO one swing pattern to cover all slices.
You use what works for you, in the given situation, with whatever grip and swing, body position and balance, that you employ.

aimr75
07-08-2009, 04:09 PM
^ im just trying to get a handle on what may typically be employed.. since i tend to end up having the face too open and the ball pops up.. i dont know if its the way i swing forward that causes this, which is why im trying to see what pros do

LeeD
07-08-2009, 07:27 PM
" ball pops up" mens you have lousy body balance and positioning, too open a racket face, and you chop at the ball.
The slice backhand can be a chop, but mostly it's a real stroke that doesn't get swung with the edge leading the way. The face is open, yes, but the ball clears the net by 2' and goes all the way deep to the baseline.

harr
07-09-2009, 01:33 AM
A slightly older example: Ken Rosewall's backhand (http://www.tenniscruz.com/content/view/27/9/) follows a similar swing path to what you're describing (though he doesn't put much backspin on the ball).

Power Player
07-09-2009, 07:38 AM
I am slowly getting my slice to consistently become a stroke with pace that lands near the baseline and bounces twice before clearing. What I notice is that my contact point is usuallly near the top of the racquet and I have more control this way.

larry10s
07-09-2009, 10:16 AM
A slightly older example: Ken Rosewall's backhand (http://www.tenniscruz.com/content/view/27/9/) follows a similar swing path to what you're describing (though he doesn't put much backspin on the ball). that artilcle is a MUST read for the thread starter. it was in tennisone. great you found a way to link it

aimr75
07-09-2009, 05:13 PM
that artilcle is a MUST read for the thread starter. it was in tennisone. great you found a way to link it

yeah was a great article.. thanks to harr for the link

Grizvok
07-09-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the link, I'm really working on developing the slice into a good shot so I have more variety than just my 2-hander. It's coming along quite nicely though.

Dreamer
07-09-2009, 06:05 PM
What the crap! that 3rd video is telling people to change the grip from continental to an eastern. Don't do it, trust me continental is the way to go.

aimr75
07-09-2009, 06:18 PM
What the crap! that 3rd video is telling people to change the grip from continental to an eastern. Don't do it, trust me continental is the way to go.

i only watched the start of that vid actually, as it had a guy hitting a slice which demonstrated what i was trying to describe..

fuzz nation
07-10-2009, 04:30 PM
If your slice is popping up, you're probably going too far out after the ball where the racquet face starts to open up too much and slide underneath it. If you're feeling your wrist break open and allowing the racquet head to extend out toward the ball, your slice is breaking down.

I feel like I'm catching the ball back beside me much more than in front of me for a good slice and the "L" that's formed between the racquet throat and my forearm doesn't break down at all. Although the swing starts just above the ball, you can't let it "trap door" down toward the court or that will break it down, too. Swing through the ball to full extension - I like the idea of feeling like I've pulled the rip cord on a parachute - but maintain that "L"!

At your finish, you've taken a full swing if you're pointing the tip of your racquet in the general direction of your target. For good energy, you also want to already be on your front foot before you swing through the ball.

chess9
07-10-2009, 05:43 PM
If your slice is popping up, you're probably going too far out after the ball where the racquet face starts to open up too much and slide underneath it. If you're feeling your wrist break open and allowing the racquet head to extend out toward the ball, your slice is breaking down.

I feel like I'm catching the ball back beside me much more than in front of me for a good slice and the "L" that's formed between the racquet throat and my forearm doesn't break down at all. Although the swing starts just above the ball, you can't let it "trap door" down toward the court or that will break it down, too. Swing through the ball to full extension - I like the idea of feeling like I've pulled the rip cord on a parachute - but maintain that "L"!

At your finish, you've taken a full swing if you're pointing the tip of your racquet in the general direction of your target. For good energy, you also want to already be on your front foot before you swing through the ball.

This, plus LeeD.

-Robert

aimr75
07-10-2009, 07:03 PM
fuzz, thanks for the info.. i was working on it the other night, and found that i was hitting it alot better more side on and less out in front with a more horizontal path versus chopping down.. felt pretty good

cliff
07-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Here are some clips of professional slice backhands
http://www.procomparetennis.net/search/all/slice%20backhand

boojay
07-11-2009, 02:28 PM
My slice backhand has actually been improving the most out of all my strokes. Your description sounds correct, aimr75, however it's not something you should actively be thinking about, although that's easier said than done when you're starting out. That pattern is the result of a loose and laidback wrist (sound familiar?)

Keep at it and eventually something will click.

aimr75
07-11-2009, 06:17 PM
My slice backhand has actually been improving the most out of all my strokes. Your description sounds correct, aimr75, however it's not something you should actively be thinking about, although that's easier said than done when you're starting out. That pattern is the result of a loose and laidback wrist (sound familiar?)

Keep at it and eventually something will click.

yeah, i have been hitting it better lately.. not trying to think too much about the path but trying more so to get my body in position, weight behind it and to not over exaggerate the chopping down motion and to hit through.. seems to be helping

I tend to hit my topspin 1 hander better then the slice, but am making more of an effort to have an effective slice now