PDA

View Full Version : How to gain pace?

tennisplayer85
07-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Hey guys I have yet another question to ask. I've noticed that a lot of the time I get good topspin on the ball but not as much pace as I would like, especially on my straight arm backhand. Even when I stay down, I find myself getting a bit more pace but not as much as some players that I've seen. They hit so much more easily with more topspin and pace and I was just wonder if anyone had any tips or could tell me some key elements in hitting with more speed/pace. (I plan to put a video up eventually, for all of those asking for one). I hit with a continental, two hand backhand along with a western, grip for my forehand if that's any help. Thanks!

LeeD
07-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Hit more, swing faster, employ your whole body each stroke...except when you block the ball for safety and precision.
Try practicing a bit too....

tennisplayer85
07-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Ohh, thanks LeeD for the advice. Any other thoughts or suggestions guys?

wngan9447
07-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Ohh, thanks LeeD for the advice. Any other thoughts or suggestions guys?

Practice, practice, practice... get comfortable with your strokes. Hit hard, hit deep and away from your opponents.

ubermeyer
07-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Swing flat and through the ball rather than up.

phoenicks
07-08-2009, 08:48 PM
extend thru your contact zone, maintain a long line the moment u initiate the forward swing till the contact point till after the follow thru, as u do that ensure you have a fast racquet head speed and proper weight transfer. If you want more topspin in addition to pace to make the ball heavier, make sure your swing path is low to high.

Blake0
07-08-2009, 09:55 PM
First off remember consistency > power. If you find yourself consistent enough for you, then swing faster (judging you're not swinging your fastest). Once you begin swinging faster, faster then you're normally used to, you'll find yourself getting less consistent (obvious :)). To get that level of swing speed more consistent you need to practice swinging that fast all the time and getting it under control. You'll find yourself making a couple adjustments like swinging up more, or through the ball more, or maybe even major changes in your technique.

If you find yourself missing a ton of balls (getting only 1 in 4 balls in) by just swinging a little faster then you were used to, then you might have some technical problems, or you might be changing your technique unconsciously trying to swing faster. Ofcourse, it's not something you can figure out yourself, because you don't know you swung differently then you usually do because it's done unconsciously (easiest way to notice is asking a coach, or watching a video of yourself). If you have technical problems, you'll have to seek advice from a coach, or maybe post a video on here for help.

If your technique changes unconscously, you have to get used to preparing your racket earlier and faster and swinging faster, while maintaining good form. Best way i think you can accomplish this is by swinging faster in front of a mirror or someone and making sure your technique stays the same. Then once you're able to swing faster while maintaining good form while shadow swinging, then start practicing swinging faster against a wall/ ball machine/partner.

Also, make sure you're using the kinetic chain to its fullest potential aka not just using your arm, using your whole body. Make sure you bend your legs, turn your hips and shoulders (shoulders perpendicular to net) , and load up power and uncoil and transfer the energy to your racket. Also a loop can help gain more momentum, increasing racket head speed. Also keeping your arm loose helps.

If you're swinging the fastest you can, using your body, and still want more pace you'll have to condition more. Lift weights, run, increase flexibility, basically get stronger and fitter.

RedWeb
07-09-2009, 04:53 AM
Pace = timing. I've seen 12 year old girls that can hit the ball with more pace than me (a 53 year old 6'3" 200 lbs man) because their timing is perfect. That only comes with time and practice and I truly believe to a certain degree you only have a certain amount of timing "potential" talent. On a scale of 1-10 for maximum timing talent I'm probably only a 6-7.

Dreamer
07-09-2009, 05:34 PM
^^ Yup. Pace is all in timing. When people think timing, in their head they imagine muscles flexing and try to grunt harder. But really if you are able to swing freely, you'll find creating pace easy. why?! if you swing free you have create higher racquet head speed. Why don't we swing freely? because it's harder to control when we meet the ball.

Try loosening up and swinging more freely and pay attention to your timing with the ball. When you are able to do this especially on a 1handed backhand, man. It's the best feeling.

Grizvok
07-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Perfect the kinetic chain as LeeD said.

10nistennis
07-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Practice is good, but if you're practicing the same strokes you have been doing, it's not going to suddenly help you develop hard paced balls.

What you need to do is DRIVE through the ball. Don't hit the ball as much in front you. Hit it more at your side. By doing this, you can plow through the ball more, generating a deep, well paced ball. Now if you practice THAT, then you will develop good paced balls.

Grizvok
07-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Practice is good, but if you're practicing the same strokes you have been doing, it's not going to suddenly help you develop hard paced balls.

What you need to do is DRIVE through the ball. Don't hit the ball as much in front you. Hit it more at your side. By doing this, you can plow through the ball more, generating a deep, well paced ball. Now if you practice THAT, then you will develop good paced balls.

I'd be pretty wary of giving advice like that.

10nistennis
07-09-2009, 08:24 PM
I'd be pretty wary of giving advice like that.

Why?

Practicing the strokes you normally have is just going to improve your CURRENT strokes. IF you actually practice hitting the ball with more drive, sooner or later, you will be hitting consistent deep strokes.

Grizvok
07-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Why?

Practicing the strokes you normally have is just going to improve your CURRENT strokes. IF you actually practice hitting the ball with more drive, sooner or later, you will be hitting consistent deep strokes.

Not that, the advice about taking the ball more to the side of you.

10nistennis
07-10-2009, 07:24 AM
Not that, the advice about taking the ball more to the side of you.

I used to hit the ball in front of me, and while this wasn't bad, I couldn't ever consistently generate the deep, hard paced balls I would like. One day, while at some academy, one of coaches there told me to not hit so in front of me, wait a BIT longer, so you can drive, or plow through the ball with much more ease and consistency.

Hey, it may not work for everyone, but I'm just giving the advice that was given to me that has helped me immensely.:)

Power Player
07-10-2009, 07:43 AM
Here is how you get more pace. First off, you need to have a swing that incorporates your full body and not just your arm. Once you have that down, you need to make sure you are stepping into the shot.

Finally, you need to take your racquet back early. If you do that, you will get more power. I can hit real hard from either wing now, but if I do not take my racquet back early enough, I lose a lot of power and pace. I was not doing that 3 weeks ago, and it was hampering my game.

mordecai
07-10-2009, 04:52 PM
Learn to throw the racquet into the ball, where you loosen your grip to initiate your swing.

user92626
07-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Learn to throw the racquet into the ball, where you loosen your grip to initiate your swing.

Yep! this is right on. At least for me.

If I may add, also try to reduce the wobbliness to add more control.

mordecai, just wondering how long have you played this game?