PDA

View Full Version : Does wrist stay locked in slice?

Failed
07-08-2009, 12:46 AM
So, does it?

Grizvok
07-08-2009, 03:11 AM
So, does it?

I would say no, but it seems to me like you get a better slice when you have a firm wrist so that you can really drive through the ball. The people who hit the unfortunate floater slice are often chopping down on the ball (using a flick of the wrist) which is bad technique.

Here's a good article from Paul Annacone: http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/instructionarticles/backhand/backhand.aspx?id=426

LeeD
07-08-2009, 09:35 AM
From backswing to contact, yes.
After contact at the followthru, you do what works for you, mostly yes.
Like a WW forehand, that part is mostly after you hit the ball (the WW).

chess9
07-08-2009, 09:48 AM
From backswing to contact, yes.
After contact at the followthru, you do what works for you, mostly yes.
Like a WW forehand, that part is mostly after you hit the ball (the WW).

Yes, and there is a danger in breaking the wrist too soon. I remember in junior high school doing that and it was killing my slice. They were floating badly. I was 16 before I was able to get it mostly right.

On the other hand, I see some older players with the squashy shots doing it all the time. ;) Some of them have raised it to an art form.

-Robert

dennis10is
07-08-2009, 09:54 AM
For the vast majority of your slice the wrist stay firm (not locked). You don't need assistnace to generate racket speed on slice, you have plenty of speed from other components AND you need all the control you can muster. Hence, keeping the wrist relatively fixed will help.

The one exception is when you go the squash shot or anytime you do this.

On your forehand slice, you use an extreme BACKHAND grip or on your backhand slice you use a semi-western FOREHAND grip. This is an advanced, almost a trick shot. You shouldn't be trying this right now

LeeD
07-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Hey, you're the only one here besides me who knows about the backhand slice with the almost forehand grip. What are you, a smart aleck? :):)
Even some "coach"s" who should know don't.
Must mean you really play tennis at a good level.:shock:

dennis10is
07-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Hey, you're the only one here besides me who knows about the backhand slice with the almost forehand grip. What are you, a smart aleck? :):)

No, I think we are just old. :)

One of the old school pro here uses it all the time. We had a discussion on slice grips. Both of us vary the grip when hitting slice. It depends on what you are trying to do with the ball.

LeeD
07-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Exactly!
Hey, are you calling me old? I'm only 60.

dennis10is
07-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Exactly!
Hey, are you calling me old? I'm only 60.

yes, anything past 25 is old :)

mike53
07-08-2009, 11:23 AM

Is that an eastern forehand/semi-continental grip on the bh slice?