PDA

View Full Version : Strategy

Failed
07-08-2009, 01:26 AM
What do you think of a strategy where I hit a really good underarm serve to the ad-box that stays really low and bounces sharply to the right having near no forward movement also staying well below the net. This opens up the court for me to hit a passing shot. Would this be a viable strategy if used occasionally?

OTMPut
07-08-2009, 02:19 AM
What do you think of a strategy where I hit a really good underarm serve to the ad-box that stays really low and bounces sharply to the right having near no forward movement also staying well below the net. This opens up the court for me to hit a passing shot. Would this be a viable strategy if used occasionally?

Might work well:
a. if you have otherwise a strong serve, so the receiver is standing a >2 feet behind the baseline
b. you are playing at such a level that the receiver responds only after the ball crosses the net
c. the receiver is slow

topher.juan
07-08-2009, 02:52 AM
In a word: no.

Failed
07-08-2009, 04:21 AM
In a word: no.

I'll post a video of this when I can :P

GuyClinch
07-08-2009, 04:33 AM
It depends on who you are playing. Against most of the people I play it would work fantastic. :P

10nistennis
07-08-2009, 04:39 AM
This isn't a bad strategy, but you HAVE to mix it in with your normal serves, so your opponent doesn't anticipate an underhand serve every single time.

So for example, you hit 3-4 big serves, making your opponent wary and he might back up a bit. Then that's your chance to pull out the underhand.

Nuke
07-08-2009, 04:44 AM
You can probably only get away with this once or twice with the surprise factor, if your opponent has a good backhand. After that, it's a slow, shallow sitter. Once the surprise factor is gone, your opponent ought to see this one coming with the different service motion.

PimpMyGame
07-08-2009, 05:13 AM
Anyone 3.5 or over will be eating this serve for breakfast after a couple of tries.

Kevo
07-08-2009, 07:35 AM
I like it as long as you can work it in as a surprise tactic. If it's not a surprise and the opponent is reasonably good, then they will just move in and take the offense in the point.

raiden031
07-08-2009, 07:38 AM
All they need to do is stand in close, and then return with a drop shot of their own and you will never get to it. It might work if they aren't expecting it, but definitely not as a normal serve.

Failed
07-08-2009, 09:31 AM
All they need to do is stand in close, and then return with a drop shot of their own and you will never get to it. It might work if they aren't expecting it, but definitely not as a normal serve.

It bounces backwards and right so its hard to hit a drop shot to a ball that is moving away from you.

LeeD
07-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Try it!
Works well, as said before, in beginner tennis (competitive level).
Good players just eat you up, as you are basically giving them a short high approachable ball that draws them wide.
Oh, and don't expect to make friends after that....

Failed
07-08-2009, 11:27 AM
I was mostly thinking about using this on clay courts versus girls/women since they are usually only good at moving laterally and at grinding at the baseline but when it comes to netplay and moving forward it feels like they are taken completely out of their game.

Dreamer
07-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Was that your idea? To do an underarm serve against women?? Don't! they'll hate you. Maybe this is a double standard, but that's just cruel. It's okay against guys, actually it would be pretty damn funny if you ask me. Won't earn you a lot of friends though haha.

There's just an unspoken rule that underarm serves = disrespect. Unless you're Michael Chang and injured lol.

BU-Tennis
07-10-2009, 09:36 PM
the underhand serve, when played well, is a killer. If you can get it to spin away and stay really low and close to the net then your opponent, no matter how good he is, won't be able to attack off of it. I suggest coming in after this serve so you can intercept the ball and pick up the drop shot your opponent is bound to hit.

HOWEVER!!!!!!, a regular serve, if learned correctly, can work just as well with much more consistency. Lets face it, you'll probably never win the point outright with the underhand serve, but you most definitely can with a normal serve. Also, there are many different spins to apply to the standard serve. If you possess a flat, kicker, slice, twist serve, all which behave differently, then you are able to through one of those in when your opponent isn't expecting it. My favorite is to hit a high kicker as a first serve if i see the returner stepping in more and trying to be more offensive. Soon enough they step back, you revert to a slice serve out wide, and then they try stepping in again.

The time spent learning a good underhand serve would be better used in developing a slice serve which can be used to pull your opponent wide in the deuce, and gives you the best chance to ace up the T in the ad court.

GuyClinch
07-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Was that your idea? To do an underarm serve against women?? Don't! they'll hate you. Maybe this is a double standard, but that's just cruel. It's okay against guys, actually it would be pretty damn funny if you ask me. Won't earn you a lot of friends though haha.

Yeah don't. Heck I played with a women who was whining about lobs in doubles while standing ON THE NET every single point (when she wasn't serving or receiving of course).

This is sexist but most women are not good sports. They don't believe in doing anything to win. Lobs, drop shots - it makes them angry. You should try to beat them with raw power or athleticism. They respect that.

ubermeyer
07-11-2009, 09:14 PM
an UNDERARM serve???? lol

well an underhand serve would work as a surprise if used once or twice in the entire match, but more than that is not advisable

firstserve
07-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Wouldn't an underharm serve be extremely easy to read and you would have to do it quickly which would decrease the percentage of the shot and make you look like a fool wasting a serve. Underarming serves gives 3 messages to opponents
1. you are toying with them
2. you are desperate for points
3. you are mentally weak and are a tank.
Putting weird spin on the ball is normally done in ping pong,in tennis it is probably very hard to do unless you practice the technique. You would have to have an extremely jerky service motion to hide the underarm.

naylor
07-12-2009, 03:07 AM
Quite simply, (if you tried that with me) the moment you pulled out of the normal serving routine my hand would go up to signal I'm not ready. And for good measure (if you tried it more than once), every time we're both at the net be prepared to eat some fuzz.

tata
07-12-2009, 03:15 AM
Wouldn't an underharm serve be extremely easy to read and you would have to do it quickly which would decrease the percentage of the shot and make you look like a fool wasting a serve. Underarming serves gives 3 messages to opponents
1. you are toying with them
2. you are desperate for points
3. you are mentally weak and are a tank.
Putting weird spin on the ball is normally done in ping pong,in tennis it is probably very hard to do unless you practice the technique. You would have to have an extremely jerky service motion to hide the underarm.

Those 3 points so so true. When i initiate an underarm serve the receiver is like wtf was that? Is THAT your serve? And i go yea and they say something along the lines of 'oh so we're not good enough for a proper serve?'. Sometimes i do it when my serving is letting me down and i rather work harder on my ground game. And by losing faith in my serve in a match would make me mentall weak. Its all on the list.

But for me when i use the underarm serve the return is somewhat predictable. Most of the time people try to hit winners and crank it down the line to punish it, but the lack of pace on it causes them to go long. I think if your opponent (maybe a friend that plays you a lot) is used to returning hard bombers, sometimes an underarm serve will get them by surprise. I find it amazing how some people net or send underarm served balls long.

Ambivalent
07-12-2009, 08:47 AM
Michael Chang did this at the FO against Lendl. He won the point. I think the purpose was to **** of Lendl though, which he did successfully.