PDA

View Full Version : Forehand swingshape initiation

Racer41c
07-08-2009, 07:44 AM
I have a question for the experts here.

I've been working on making my strokes more consistent. One thing I'm having trouble with is when I initiate the foreswing on my forehand. I'm not having any trouble with the staring position, footwork, low to high, etc. What I'm have an issue with is combining the laid back wrist position, and releasing to a follow through in one motion. This is a classic example of I'm not Federer where in slow motion you can see him drive the racquet low to high into the court and then release into his follow through.

I've tried a couple of different things but I can't seem to get a good level of consistency. Here's how I understand the fore-swing, tell me what I'm miising or doing wrong:

1. Kinetic chain. Feet in correct position, knees bent, balanced, drive with back foot, rotate hips and shoulder to about 45deg.
2. Lay the wrist back
3. Lead with the butt cap
4. Swing low to high
5. Don't over rotate
6. Contact point
7. Follow through

I think I'm lost between 4 and 6. I'm not quite sure what I should be focusing on with my arm and as a result it tries to drive the ball.

Your help appreciated!

LeeD
07-08-2009, 10:01 AM
You forgot... RELAX your grip.
Hold it tight enough to not twist and let go, but no tighter.
Relaxing the grip allows your wrist to come thru at the right time, at the strikezone in front of your lead hip.

dgoldman
07-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Do you keep the wrist laid back through the swing but also keep a relaxed grip? Or is it more of lay it back and forget about it once the forward part starts.

Sublime
07-08-2009, 12:09 PM
"Let the racket swing itself!" -Unknown TT Genius

I really don't know who that quote belongs to, but its one of the best tips I can give to someone in your boat. When you look at a clip of Federer, you see him laying his wrist back, releasing is forearm in the follow through, etc.

What you need to look at is that he's not fighting the racket. He's not trying to bully it into going low to high or whatever.

His goal is to get a 12 ounce stick to accelerate up to close to 80mph in the span of about 3ft of swing path (not to mention hit something, with the right racketface angle). You can't muscle or bully the racket into doing that. You have to work with it, guide it, you apply force in a direction its already moving. You need to let the racket swing itself.

The laid back wrist, the follow through, will all happen due to the momentum of the racket and the limited degree of rotation/movement of the joints in your body. Next time you watch a Federer clip imagine that the racket is actually a 20lb sledge hammer and all those wrist and arm movements will make a lot more sense.