PDA

View Full Version : Do you point the butt of the racquet at the ball on raquet drop part of the serve

crash1929
07-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Do you point the butt of the racquet at the ball on raquet drop part of the serve. tks.

LeeD
07-08-2009, 08:50 AM
You don't conciously point it, but it happens during the forward swing loop, at a moment in time, the butt is pointed sorta at the ball, depending on what kind of serve you are doing.
At the trophy, which should be almost a pause in motion, the racket is pointed straight up and the face is pointed at the sideline somewhat level with the baseline.

larry10s
07-08-2009, 08:53 AM
from the racquet drop during the upswing the butt is pointed at the ball

crash1929
07-08-2009, 01:08 PM
i'm trying to think about the right feel at the bottom of the racquet drop (the part were you see pros look like they are scratching their back)...mainly because i've never thought about this spot before. i noticed on my serve yesterday the racquet seemed to tire me out. but then i had been playing 6 hours already. still i noticed from the start it seemed a little harder or different when trying to put the spin on.

i've been working on the hip stretch but also a sort of chest stretch on the take back open up. that seems to add pace too. the biggest variable though is the knee bend. if i get the hip stretch going and a nice knee bend my serve goes well up into the fence- admittedly these happen less often than i'd like -). if i don't get a good knee bend a hard serve just skids into the bottom part of the fence. Also with a good knee bend the ball doesn't seem to travel faster but really kicks up off the ground.