PDA

View Full Version : What causes one to shank an "easy" killer forehand winner?

firstblud
07-08-2009, 08:52 AM
interested to hear any pointers that i'm sure many of us get into trouble with. these are the shots you nail easily in practice.

your opponent sends a weak reply to your serve or shot and you move in to smack this ball sitting in your lap and your eyes open wide with excitement... only to see it get framed or miss terribly :oops:

LeeD
07-08-2009, 08:57 AM
You THINK you are good, when in reality, you're just a normal human tennis player.
You ASSUME your shot will draw the ohhs and ahhs from the spectators, when you don't really own it yet.
Try concentrating, you are not as good as you think.

eagle
07-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Big Eye Syndrome. Eyes pop out in excitement seeing a sitter and wanting to smack the life out of it. :)

You either rush your shot, try to overhit, take your eyes off the ball, try for a shot you normally don't hit, poor footwork, or a combo of above.

Just treat it like another ball and send it its merry way to the other side of the net just like your previous 10 shots of the 20 shot rally. :)

mikeler
07-08-2009, 10:03 AM
These are the types of shots that seem like they should require the least amount of concentration when in fact they require the most. Tell yourself not to get too casual with footwork or try and overhit the ball.

LeeD
07-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Old quote from some old fart when I started playing tennis in 1974. "there are NO easy shots in tennis". From ArtLarsen.... look up the name.

masterxfob
07-08-2009, 12:17 PM
like everyone else said above me, sometimes the easiest shots are the hardest and the hardest the easiest.

Bud
07-08-2009, 12:56 PM
interested to hear any pointers that i'm sure many of us get into trouble with. these are the shots you nail easily in practice.

your opponent sends a weak reply to your serve or shot and you move in to smack this ball sitting in your lap and your eyes open wide with excitement... only to see it get framed or miss terribly :oops:

Getting overexcited (adrenalin) and not keeping your eye on the ball.

Bud
07-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Big Eye Syndrome. Eyes pop out in excitement seeing a sitter and wanting to smack the life out of it. :)

You either rush your shot, try to overhit, take your eyes off the ball, try for a shot you normally don't hit, poor footwork, or a combo of above.

Just treat it like another ball and send it its merry way to the other side of the net just like your previous 10 shots of the 20 shot rally. :)

Completely agree! :)

user92626
07-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Old quote from some old fart when I started playing tennis in 1974. "there are NO easy shots in tennis". From ArtLarsen.... look up the name.

Not really true.

Give me a ball that bounces up above my head and 3 ft away from the net and I could do an overhead smash that I doubt even Federer could return. :)

ramseszerg
07-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Not being in position.

That is all.

mordecai
07-08-2009, 04:26 PM
Most people jerk their body too violently trying to kill a ball, and lose their balance, their head jerks and they botch the shot because they cannot see the ball any more.

fattsoo
07-08-2009, 04:35 PM
you are too excited that you are about to **** your pants in anticipation of the big winner...then blah!!! out it goes

tennisboy777
07-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Not really true.

Give me a ball that bounces up above my head and 3 ft away from the net and I could do an overhead smash that I doubt even Federer could return. :)

lol this ^^

ubermeyer
07-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Nerves. Plain & simple.

ubermeyer
07-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Not really true.

I know you're exaggerating, but I think you went a bit too far.

Unless you're actually a pro tennis player, I doubt that this is true.

wngan9447
07-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Taking your eyes off the ball to see where your opponent is on the court will do it... cut it out

phoenicks
07-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Not really true.

I know you're exaggerating, but I think you went a bit too far.

Unless you're actually a pro tennis player, I doubt that this is true.

I don't think he's exaggerating, u can slam the ball against the floor so hard that the ball bounce like 10+, 20meter, went over his head after that 1 bounce and when it drops, it hits the fence. I doubt any pro can return that, unless that pro happens to be Superman or some flying object.

darthpwner
07-09-2009, 09:19 AM
a small racket head, sharply vertical swing, taking ur eye off the ball, poor footwork/anticipation, etc

Mikael
07-09-2009, 10:01 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but a slippery/old overgrip can definitely cause this as well. You will know if it also occurs on normal rally balls. Or maybe some sweat in your eyes/contact lenses.

Ambivalent
07-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Not really true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZDvFbX-y94

I win dis argument.