PDA

View Full Version : I use the same grip from my forehand and 1hbh. Is this "bad"?

ogruskie
07-08-2009, 02:24 PM
I never consciously thought about it until my coach asked to see which grips I use. I was shocked to see that I use a semi-western grip for both strokes. He said that a SW grip for a 1hbh is better for high balls, that such an extreme grip might be difficult to use on low balls. However, he said that some players can make it work for them. So I'm going with this route; it works for me.

But really, is this a bad habit?

Grizvok
07-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Gasquet has a semi-western backhand and it sure as hell works for him.

No, it's absolutely fine and sort of odd that your coach says "some players can make it work for them" when the semi-western backhand grip is pretty popular.

mikeler
07-08-2009, 03:09 PM
I have a pretty good 1 hander and I use the SW grip. It helps with high balls and I can handle low balls just fine too.

Bottle Rocket
07-09-2009, 11:34 AM
If you're asking if the semi-western single-handed backhand grip is acceptable, yeah. It is perfectly fine.

I doubt there are going to be many players in the future that are succesful with a full eastern backhand grip. You really need to hit with a good deal of side spin if you're using a full eastern to really control the shot and maintain some pace and consistency.

I also don't think a full-western grip is all that beneificial, probably something in between.

I also find that the semi-western backhand can be significantly better on low balls than it is on high balls unless you've really got the stroke mechanics down. Shorter individuals and those that really use their legs (as everyone should) seem to do better with the semi-western backhand. It takes tremendous footwork, timing, and strength to handle a high ball with a semi-western and actually put something on it at a high level. On the other hand, that grip makes moonballing a breeze.

...Or were you asking if it is ok to hit both your forehand and backhand without changing the location of your hand (hitting both strokes with the same side of the racket face)? If so, a search will bring up some ridiculous debates on the subject.

Sublime
07-09-2009, 11:49 AM
He said that a SW grip for a 1hbh is better for high balls, that such an extreme grip might be difficult to use on low balls. However, he said that some players can make it work for them.

Only two of the greatest 1HBHers of modern tennis used it: Guga and Henin

Carla Suarez-Navarro uses the exact setup you're talking about. SW grip and never changes her grip unless she comes to the net.

btangel
07-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Gasquet has a semi-western backhand and it sure as hell works for him.

No, it's absolutely fine and sort of odd that your coach says "some players can make it work for them" when the semi-western backhand grip is pretty popular.

Are you sure about this? Gasquet hits with eastern grip (as with fed) on his 1hbh. Henin hits with a semi western though.

Your coach is right that SW 1hbh doesn't handles low balls very well. It's very ideal on a clay court though. I use to hit with a SW grip on the backhand side as well, but I just couldn't handle short balls that end up dropping below the net very well with a SW grip.

Again, it's up to you. I find the eastern grip more consistent for me, and it's easier to "flick" your wrist for cross court and/or short angle shots for me. Your mileage may vary.

Grizvok
07-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Are you sure about this? Gasquet hits with eastern grip (as with fed) on his 1hbh. Henin hits with a semi western though.

Your coach is right that SW 1hbh doesn't handles low balls very well. It's very ideal on a clay court though. I use to hit with a SW grip on the backhand side as well, but I just couldn't handle short balls that end up dropping below the net very well with a SW grip.

Again, it's up to you. I find the eastern grip more consistent for me, and it's easier to "flick" your wrist for cross court and/or short angle shots for me. Your mileage may vary.

According to a number of sources "including TENNIS.COM" it's actually a bit further around than the Eastern but not quite as far as somebody like Justine. "Notice how he uses a strong Eastern backhand grip" from the instruction article on his one-handed backhand. http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/instructionarticles/backhand/backhand.aspx?id=254

I've just noticed it's nudged slightly more that way than Federer for sure.

aimr75
07-09-2009, 04:31 PM
I doubt there are going to be many players in the future that are succesful with a full eastern backhand grip. You really need to hit with a good deal of side spin if you're using a full eastern to really control the shot and maintain some pace and consistency.

I dont know how you come to that conclusion..
and side spin?? If youre hitting with alot of side spin, you arent hitting the shot correctly..

I dont see federer hitting with side spin..

btangel
07-09-2009, 04:48 PM
According to a number of sources "including TENNIS.COM" it's actually a bit further around than the Eastern but not quite as far as somebody like Justine. "Notice how he uses a strong Eastern backhand grip" from the instruction article on his one-handed backhand. http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/instructionarticles/backhand/backhand.aspx?id=254

I've just noticed it's nudged slightly more that way than Federer for sure.

so a strong eastern backhand grip = eastern but leaning towards a SW?

From the pictures it looks pretty much the same as Federer's grip. *shrug*

Dreamer
07-09-2009, 05:17 PM
It's not a bad habit at all. If you hit it well that way there's no reason for you to change it. Don't force it because of what pros use. If it works don't mess with it, if it gives you problems you can experiment with other grips. Do what you feel is best.

Grizvok
07-09-2009, 06:55 PM
so a strong eastern backhand grip = eastern but leaning towards a SW?

From the pictures it looks pretty much the same as Federer's grip. *shrug*

It's probably just Gasquet tricking me with how well he comes over that shot so that I *THINK* it's slightly more western. Regardless, I don't think the "strong" eastern backhand is that bad of an idea; it is my weapon of choice on the forehand (strong eastern AKA extreme eastern).

marosmith
07-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Do you mean your hand is literally in the same place for backhand and forehand, or do you mean that you are using grips with the same names, "SW" but much different physical positioning on the actual racket?

Djokovicfan4life
07-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Do you mean your hand is literally in the same place for backhand and forehand, or do you mean that you are using grips with the same names, "SW" but much different physical positioning on the actual racket?

The second one.

Grizvok
07-10-2009, 02:17 PM
The second one.

But it's not like it really matters at all because TECHNICALLY speaking if you were to hit both shots with the same face of the racquet you'd still be hitting a SW forehand and a SW backhand without moving your hand.

I knew somebody in highschool that played around with doing that exact thing actually and he hit pretty well.

Djokovicfan4life
07-10-2009, 02:23 PM
But it's not like it really matters at all because TECHNICALLY speaking if you were to hit both shots with the same face of the racquet you'd still be hitting a SW forehand and a SW backhand without moving your hand.

I knew somebody in highschool that played around with doing that exact thing actually and he hit pretty well.

I know, but marosmith wanted to know if he hit his backhand using the SW forehand grip, i.e. same grip, different sides of the racquet face.

My brother actually used to do that if you can believe it. He uses the SW backhand grip now and his backhand is probably his best shot.

hyogen
07-10-2009, 02:23 PM
so if you're using a semi western grip for your backhand...what grip does that translate to for your forehand???

i don't get it...

i use a sw forehand grip....ther'es no way in heck that'd i'd be able to hit a backhand with that grip....

do you just not move your hand....but hit the ball with the other side of hte racquet as opposed to the side that you use for your forehand?

your grip never changes?

Djokovicfan4life
07-10-2009, 02:30 PM
so if you're using a semi western grip for your backhand...what grip does that translate to for your forehand???

i don't get it...

i use a sw forehand grip....ther'es no way in heck that'd i'd be able to hit a backhand with that grip....

do you just not move your hand....but hit the ball with the other side of hte racquet as opposed to the side that you use for your forehand?

your grip never changes?
Think of it this way.

1. Hold your racquet in your SW FH grip.

2. Now make a WW swing path ending on the left side of your body (as if you were waving to someone), keeping your racquet penpendicular to the court.

3. Look at your grip now. Your hand hasn't moved, yet you're now holding the SW BH grip.

Hope that helps.

stules
07-10-2009, 03:49 PM
I wait in the ready position with a SW forehand grip.
For my single handed BH, I rotate the grip to a SW BH grip.
I know that this is the same hand position on the grip, just 180 deg difference, but the left hand that holds the throat would otherwise be on the wrong side (hitting side) of the racquet.
One of the touring pros used to use W FH and a W BH. He used the same hitting face for both sides without changing grip. He was used as an example of what 'not to do' by a coach once. I don't remember the reason, but I accepted it at the time.

Djokovicfan4life
07-10-2009, 03:54 PM
I wait in the ready position with a SW forehand grip.
For my single handed BH, I rotate the grip to a SW BH grip.
I know that this is the same hand position on the grip, just 180 deg difference, but the left hand that holds the throat would otherwise be on the wrong side (hitting side) of the racquet.
One of the touring pros used to use W FH and a W BH. He used the same hitting face for both sides without changing grip. He was used as an example of what 'not to do' by a coach once. I don't remember the reason, but I accepted it at the time.

Actually, a western FH grip would give you an eastern BH grip without changing grips, not a western BH.

Oxymoron
07-11-2009, 10:05 AM

i don't get it...

your grip never changes?

This should clear things up. http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/gear/general/general.aspx?id=649

hyogen
07-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Think of it this way.

1. Hold your racquet in your SW FH grip.

2. Now make a WW swing path ending on the left side of your body (as if you were waving to someone), keeping your racquet penpendicular to the court.

3. Look at your grip now. Your hand hasn't moved, yet you're now holding the SW BH grip.

Hope that helps.

yes, yes that does! :D

i'm very newb at the one-handed backhand. is this same grip more conducive to spin, just like the semiwestern and western grips are for the forehand?

Dreamer
07-12-2009, 06:32 PM
yes, yes that does! :D

i'm very newb at the one-handed backhand. is this same grip more conducive to spin, just like the semiwestern and western grips are for the forehand?

Yup. may have a hard time with low balls though

julian
07-31-2009, 03:51 PM
I never consciously thought about it until my coach asked to see which grips I use. I was shocked to see that I use a semi-western grip for both strokes. He said that a SW grip for a 1hbh is better for high balls, that such an extreme grip might be difficult to use on low balls. However, he said that some players can make it work for them. So I'm going with this route; it works for me.

Question:
if you hit your backhand is your base knuckle
on:
a) bevel #4
or
b) bevel #5

or
c) bevel #6
or
d) a bevel with a number #4 or #5 or #6

julian
07-31-2009, 03:55 PM
The second one.

IMHO: if your base knuckle is NOT on bevel #4 it is NOT a SW grip
by the very definition

julian
07-31-2009, 04:03 PM
See as well
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=267283&highlight=Hawaiian+Forehand+Grip

Gugafan
07-31-2009, 07:19 PM
To the OP. Guga used SW on both sides and it got him to no1 and 3 GS titles.

I myself use SW on both sides. The only problem I have is having to change grips between forehand and backhand, which requires a 180 degree turn of the racket face. Pretty much explains why I prefer playing on a slow hardcourt then the artificial grass at my club.

Sublime
08-01-2009, 07:05 AM
^^^
I don't see the point of changing grips 180 degrees. You're rotating the racket for the sake of rotating it. It's in exactly the same position it was in, you're just hitting with the other side of the racket face.

When you finish a WW forehand, you're ready for the take back on a BH and vice versa.

The only advantage I see is to disquise your grip. Guga was excellent at this. With his high take back on his BH he could hit a slice with a conti or topspin with an extreme eastern and you couldn't really tell until the swing foreward.

pmata814
08-01-2009, 10:22 PM
When I used to play with the 1hbh I would also use SW grip for both FH and BH. I thought it was great because you don't have to switch grips. This especially is an advantage on the return of serve.

The one thing about the 1hbh with that grip though is that you really have to hit the ball well in front of the body. But the spin potential is excellent. I did develop tennis elbow though so I can't know for sure if it was my grip or something else. I personally blame it on a change of racquet I made.

wyutani
10-09-2009, 05:54 AM
seems okay.

mike53
10-09-2009, 06:21 AM

Not at all, especially not if you are shorter than 5'10".