PDA

View Full Version : Anger Issues

Aggro
07-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Hey Guys, just come back from a hit and yet another 2 racquets have been pummeled into the ground.

I thought i had grown out of this (now 21) and for the past month i havent even bounced my racquet in annoyance, yet in practice today i missed backhands for about 20 mins solid and my frustration just boiled over.

Im really having a tough time trying to combat this frustration i get on court. Its when i start missing stupid balls continuosly that i get annoyed but most of the time i stay calm and my head calms down.

Has anyone got any tips to try to combat this really stupid behaviour ?

LuckyR
07-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Make the decision that you would rather win matches than soothe your ego.

JavierLW
07-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Goose Fraba!!!

Seriously though, you realize you have a problem, so you're already half way there. (many people dont)

Hard to explain what to do to solve it because ultimately you're the one who has to learn to control yourself. But what Ive found is that once I find the ability to just shrug things off and let them go, Im a lot happier.

I mean it's just tennis. If you lose, you wont die or fail to pay your mortgage or anything. If you make a mistake the best thing to do is to just be aware of it non-objectively and move on.

Easier said then done, but the beauty of it is in tennis you can easily erase one mistake by doing well on the next point or game. (that's mostly what I do, I just continuously focus on the next point in the match, whether Im successful or not on the previous point otherwise one mistake can easily turn into many missed points and then the match)

mikeler
07-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Hey Guys, just come back from a hit and yet another 2 racquets have been pummeled into the ground.

I thought i had grown out of this (now 21) and for the past month i havent even bounced my racquet in annoyance, yet in practice today i missed backhands for about 20 mins solid and my frustration just boiled over.

Im really having a tough time trying to combat this frustration i get on court. Its when i start missing stupid balls continuosly that i get annoyed but most of the time i stay calm and my head calms down.

Has anyone got any tips to try to combat this really stupid behaviour ?

I'm 36 and I still chuck my rackets into the fence. If you figure out a way to stop doing it, please let me know.

JavierLW
07-09-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm 36 and I still chuck my rackets into the fence. If you figure out a way to stop doing it, please let me know.

tie one of those bands to the end of it and around your wrist, like they have on racquet ball racquets? (or little children have on their mittens so they dont lose them)

That way if you chuck it, it might bounce back and clunk you on the head, that will teach you...

jrod
07-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Question: Does getting angry help or hurt your performance? I suspect it isn't helping. In fact, you probably lose focus and this is the primary cause of subsequent errors. So in all likelihood it's probably a few missed shots that starts the downward spiral.

Mistakes are part of every endeavor and you need to (1) accept the fact that you will always make mistakes. However, don't allow one mistake to cause you to lose focus and create a cascade of errors. The key here is to (2) focus on the present (i.e. don't dwell on the past).

Note that both of these tips are completely within your control. I guarantee you the sooner you can master both, the better you will play. One way to help you focus on the present is by practicing yoga. This can help you learn how to quiet your mind and teaches you to focus on something as benign as your breathing instead of your last missed shot. Try it....you've nothing to lose.

NamRanger
07-09-2009, 12:50 PM
As others stated, anger is most likely an enemy. However, it can also help you and drive you. You getting angry in practice isn't a good thing if you can't channel it, but if you can, then you can use it to fuel yourself.

I'd rather watch someone be frustrated and angry on the court rather than watch someone who doesn't care. Because the angry person more than likely has the drive to succeed; they just need to be able to channel it properly.

mikeler
07-09-2009, 03:47 PM
I'm just very competitive. If I was bowling against somebody, I'd be ****ed if I lost. Most of the time throwing the racket gets the anger off my chest and helps me focus. I was up 4-0 in the 3rd set this evening and my opponent came back and was up 4-4, 30-0 on me. The racket made its way into the fence at that point. After that, I won the next 8 points to take the match.

I should note, I don't do this with kids around. No reason to teach them bad habits. If the adults want to laugh at my stupidness, then that is their right.

Power Player
07-10-2009, 05:23 AM
I still get mad sometimes. I try and curse as quiet as I can, but I used to go nuclear as a junior. I notice that I am usually only at all mad if I am tired from work or lack of sleep. Make sure you are resting enough and being healthy. What I love about tennis is the little things matter the more you play and the better you get. If I was out partying the night before, I can assure you that I will drop a few Fbombs if I am playing bad.

mikeler
07-10-2009, 06:06 AM
I still get mad sometimes. I try and curse as quiet as I can, but I used to go nuclear as a junior. I notice that I am usually only at all mad if I am tired from work or lack of sleep. Make sure you are resting enough and being healthy. What I love about tennis is the little things matter the more you play and the better you get. If I was out partying the night before, I can assure you that I will drop a few Fbombs if I am playing bad.

Yep, generally it happens if I have a few drinks the night before and/or don't get enough sleep. If I'm well rested, I can handle it much better.