PDA

View Full Version : clay sliding tips

chiru
07-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Hi, i just started playing on clay for the first time. I can't slide to save my life. I tried to look for other tips on the forum but couldn't find any. any ideas?

ronalditop
07-09-2009, 04:29 PM
first of all, clay has to be completely dry to be able to slide on it, because if its a little wet, its almost impossible to slide.

chiru
07-14-2009, 01:53 PM
it seems to be dry to me, however it's humid around here. couple things: 1) red clay is watered isn't it? 2) i'm playing on har tru not on red. is that significantly harder to slide on?

h7hugo
07-14-2009, 03:03 PM
you can even slide on grass so slide on clay is simple.. anyone in this forum can explain to you how to slide, not even if you see videos on youtube. Do to the court, and after you picked up the racquet, runa litle and try to slide to the front. With time, try slide sideways..

ronalditop
07-14-2009, 06:03 PM
today i was playing in a in a clay court that was dry in the baseline and in the middle but a little humid close to the net. So i was runnning to get a very good drop my friend hit and i decided it was better to slide because if not i could touch the net, so as im beginning to slide my right foot got completely glued to the ground and that made me stumble, but i managed to avoid falling down. I lost the point btw.

mikeler
07-15-2009, 05:54 AM
It took me several months before I finally got the hang of it. Don't think about it for now, eventually it will just come naturally.

Nellie
07-15-2009, 07:22 AM
If you want to be a good clay courter, slide into the shot, so that you can recover. If you hit the shot and then slide, you will be off the court and will lose the point. So you need to practice stopping well before the shot, unlike a hard court

chiru
07-15-2009, 10:57 AM
If you want to be a good clay courter, slide into the shot, so that you can recover. If you hit the shot and then slide, you will be off the court and will lose the point. So you need to practice stopping well before the shot, unlike a hard court

right, i've always heard that watching pro tennis, but now i see why the pros have such a hard time with! I feel like it's maybe something that i need to pick up with practice and some time...

are there any tricks i should know about?

mikeler
07-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Make sure you are wearing a shoe with a non-marking sole. If you are wearing cross trainers on a clay court, forget about trying to slide.

chiru
07-15-2009, 11:18 AM
Make sure you are wearing a shoe with a non-marking sole. If you are wearing cross trainers on a clay court, forget about trying to slide.

i'm wearing hard court vapor V's

obnoxious2
07-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Are you playing on red or green clay? Green clay isn't as slideable unless your pretty much at full speed.

Also, when you slide the foot out in front you should be trying to place the wait on the fronter half of the foot.

SethIMcClaine
07-15-2009, 06:28 PM
wouldnt practicing in socks on hardwood floors help?

chiru
07-15-2009, 08:17 PM
Are you playing on red or green clay? Green clay isn't as slideable unless your pretty much at full speed.

Also, when you slide the foot out in front you should be trying to place the wait on the fronter half of the foot.

yah i'm on hartru (green clay). when i put more weight on the front foot the shoe stops far too abruptly, to the point i start to stumble. there's just enough give that i don't have the ability to stop on a dime like on a hard court, and not enough give for sliding to be real natural.

chiru
07-15-2009, 08:18 PM
wouldnt practicing in socks on hardwood floors help?

no hardwood floors near by, but somehow it doesn't feel anywhere near that easy to slide on this stuff. maybe cuz it's green?

SethIMcClaine
07-15-2009, 10:03 PM
no hardwood floors near by, but somehow it doesn't feel anywhere near that easy to slide on this stuff. maybe cuz it's green?
I was just thinking of the weighting / unweighting factor of being able to slide, it obviously would be easier to slide on hardwood due to the friction but it seems like it would be of some benifit. But if you dont even have that option i guess it doesnt matter

mikeler
07-16-2009, 05:37 AM
I've never played on the red stuff, but have played on plenty of Har-Tru courts over the years. If I'm running at full speed, my slides can be up to 3 feet long. So you can slide on the stuff assuming the court is properly maintained.

Frankauc
07-16-2009, 05:49 AM
well it should be a natural thing. If you cant slide on clay, it could be because you dont run really fast, or you're scared....

the fisrt time i played on clay (green), i was able to slide 5+ feet long (the front foot slide about 4 feet and the back foot follows with a 2 feet slide). You have to run fast and beggin the slide before hitting the ball, if not, it's useless. I must say i slide on every surface, even on new hard courts. Never injured myselft doing it

chiru
07-16-2009, 08:29 AM
well it should be a natural thing. If you cant slide on clay, it could be because you dont run really fast, or you're scared....

the fisrt time i played on clay (green), i was able to slide 5+ feet long (the front foot slide about 4 feet and the back foot follows with a 2 feet slide). You have to run fast and beggin the slide before hitting the ball, if not, it's useless. I must say i slide on every surface, even on new hard courts. Never injured myselft doing it

weird. i think it might be my not running real quickly. it's hard to take off of the clay and get myself moving real fast. do u think switching ot a clay specific sole will get me moving any quicker? right now i'm playing with a vapor V hardcourt.

Frankauc
07-16-2009, 08:35 AM
im playing with the cc geniusses. And i played with babolat, adidas, nike shoes....non-clay sole. So no changing shoes will not make you better at sliding. Just ask someone to feed you with balls from side to side or with drop shots and ty to chase it, even if it's out. Maybe youll improve.