PDA

View Full Version : Nadal uses a Semi Western forehand

Gugafan
07-09-2009, 08:28 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0dxSbyY2dtdel/340x.jpg

You can clearly see that the base knuckle of the index finger rests on bevel 4 and not on the flat bevel (in the case of full western). In addition his racquet head face, would be alot more closed if he was using full western.

Not convinced???

Check out this instructional video in Spanish, where Nadal shows exactly what grip he uses. If you try to pause it from 8.30 onwards, you can clearly see he uses a SW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZUwZAF9XO4

Credit to the poster, who took a still from the video above.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/3985/nadald.jpg

I use the exact same grip, and find I am coming under the ball alot more than expected. Compared to players I hit with, I have an exaggerated windshield wiper motion in my swing. The topspin production is immense.

Grizvok
07-09-2009, 08:29 PM
I thought the fact that he used a SW was generally known to all?

aimr75
07-09-2009, 08:31 PM
i thought it was fairly common knowledge he doesnt use a full western..

Gugafan
07-09-2009, 08:32 PM
I thought the fact that he used a SW was generally known to all?

I did a search on the board and youtube, no one has provided concrete evidence on what grip Nadal uses...Many even believe he uses a full western grip, which is clearly not the case.

aimr75
07-09-2009, 08:35 PM
^ he uses a straight arm forehand.. could you imagine how hard it would be using a full western with straight arm? His wrist would be in worse condition then his knees

Grizvok
07-09-2009, 08:36 PM
^ he uses a straight arm forehand.. could you imagine how hard it would be using a full western with straight arm? His wrist would be in worse condition then his knees

Hahaha, true that.

Gugafan
07-09-2009, 08:39 PM

Yh exactly, there is no way he is pronating his wrist using a full western with a straight arm. The racquet head speed he generates would just kill his wrist.

ronalditop
07-09-2009, 08:50 PM
tonys voice sounds a lot like the godfathers.

Tim Tennis
07-10-2009, 05:45 AM
Well, I am a big fan of the Semi-Western grip but I always thought Nadal used the Western forehand grip. This link below says he uses the Western grip.

http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/instructionarticles/forehand/forehand.aspx?id=56544

Best regards,

Ed
Tennis Geometrics

http://www.tennisgeometrics.com

aimr75
07-10-2009, 06:13 AM
Well, I am a big fan of the Semi-Western grip but I always thought Nadal used the Western forehand grip. This link below says he uses the Western grip.

http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/instructionarticles/forehand/forehand.aspx?id=56544

Best regards,

Ed
Tennis Geometrics

http://www.tennisgeometrics.com

still doesnt look full western in that photo to me.. i.e. base knuckle on bevel 5

next time youre holding a racquet, hold the racquet with a full western grip and straighten out your arm.. its somewhat painful even just doing that let alone swinging with it..

Tim Tennis
07-10-2009, 06:53 AM
still doesnt look full western in that photo to me.. i.e. base knuckle on bevel 5

next time youre holding a racquet, hold the racquet with a full western grip and straighten out your arm.. its somewhat painful even just doing that let alone swinging with it..

The Western forehand is painful to me no matter how bent or straight I hold my arm. LOL

It is hard to tell from the pictures as to exactly what grip he is using. One frame on the follow through it does look like his knuckle is on bevel 5. If you had to guess what grip he was using by just analyzing the characteristics of his shots I think you would have to say Western. In fact it never even occured to me that he might be using the Semi-Western grip.

Best regards,

Ed
Tennis Geometrics

Dreamer
07-10-2009, 08:29 AM
Yeah I remember a few wimbledons ago they talked about him using a full western grip. But it's pretty well known that he uses Semi-western. So it was either a misunderstanding or he changed it.

NamRanger
07-10-2009, 08:52 AM
His semi-western grip is very extreme and close to being called a Western Grip. If you really want to get down to semantics, it's an inbetween grip.

WildVolley
07-10-2009, 09:00 AM
I've never seen Nadal play in person at a match, but I also have video of him using a semi-western in practice at Indian Wells. I shot video from about fifteen feet away and his index knuckle was on bevel 4, much like a traditional semi-western. The other thing that stood out was how small his grip seemed to be compared to his hand.

Perhaps he hits differently in matches, but in practice it was not even an extreme semi-western.

zapvor
07-10-2009, 09:55 AM
i think he can adjust it depending on situation.

user92626
07-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Looks like he does holds sw but what makes it confusing is that his knuckle is fully behind the sw bevel, he holds it more L shape and hits up way more than us sw mortals could. Interesting.

B-rian
07-10-2009, 12:01 PM

Doesnt Verdasco use a full western and have a straight arm forehand? :neutral:

Grizvok
07-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Doesnt Verdasco use a full western and have a straight arm forehand? :neutral:

Not even close.

Rickson
07-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Nadal's grip looks like a sw for sure. A full western would show the back of his hand and that's not the case.

Grizvok
07-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Nadal's grip looks like a sw for sure. A full western would show the back of his hand and that's not the case.

I agree, it doesn't look nearly western.

Gugafan
07-10-2009, 01:25 PM
There are not many players who are actually using full semi western....Many are using a more extreme eastern grip to generate spin but clearly nowhere near the same amount as Nadal because of his grip.

A SW grip requires you to pronate your wrist alot more then if your using an eastern or extreme eastern. This explains why Nadal uses such a small grip, as he needs to generate maximum amounts of spin. With a SW, its more difficult to shorten your swing and just block the ball back deep....Overall the angles that you can generate with SW are amazing. This being a product of the spin, where you can really get the ball to kick away from an opponent if you generate enough racquet head speed. I use this tactic when rallying crosscourt with my forehand.

In D Zone
07-10-2009, 02:04 PM
that's answers my question...

How can Nadal hit a good approach or a short ball if he is using full Western?

Another reason why Nadal can whip his racquet bec he uses a smaller grip size.

Gugafan
10-31-2009, 06:39 PM
It's crazy how Nadal can generate alot more spin than other SW grip users. Maybe it's do with smaller grip?? (2 Babolat vs overgrips onto of a grip 2).

Blake0
10-31-2009, 06:58 PM
It's crazy how Nadal can generate alot more spin than other SW grip users. Maybe it's do with smaller grip?? (2 Babolat vs overgrips onto of a grip 2).

It's more or less his technique and his upper body build (well his lower body build too) along with it.

Straight arm forehand + 1 foot biceps = nadal..whoops forget to add super fast and extremely talented..and a whole bunch of other stuff..

Slazenger07
11-05-2009, 09:54 AM

The grip probably plays a role in that, but his swing is why he generates so much more spin, he usually has a very loopy swing and finshes over his head most of the time, an excellent finish for generating heavy topspin.

thejoe
11-05-2009, 11:52 AM
The second picture looks like a semi western, but it also seems to be his ready grip...

deluxe
11-06-2009, 03:57 AM
when will people stop analyzing what people's grips are from still photos taken *after* contact?

NamRanger
11-06-2009, 06:53 AM
There are not many players who are actually using full semi western....Many are using a more extreme eastern grip to generate spin but clearly nowhere near the same amount as Nadal because of his grip.

A SW grip requires you to pronate your wrist alot more then if your using an eastern or extreme eastern. This explains why Nadal uses such a small grip, as he needs to generate maximum amounts of spin. With a SW, its more difficult to shorten your swing and just block the ball back deep....Overall the angles that you can generate with SW are amazing. This being a product of the spin, where you can really get the ball to kick away from an opponent if you generate enough racquet head speed. I use this tactic when rallying crosscourt with my forehand.

..... Most players use a full SW grip.

Power Player
11-06-2009, 08:16 AM
You use different grips..its not like there is one grip that you always go to. I adjust to full western if I am hitting long, I go more semi if I want a flatter winner. I go in between..its a feel thing. I think it is for most players to be honest.

eagle
11-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Check out this instructional video in Spanish, where Nadal shows exactly what grip he uses. If you try to pause it from 8.30 onwards, you can clearly see he uses a SW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZUwZAF9XO4

Any Spanish speaking members care to give highlights of what Tony's tactical instructions are?

r,
eagle