PDA

View Full Version : Best way to secure indoor court time

Texas Scrambler
07-09-2009, 09:26 PM
I live north of the 49th parallel in Alberta and have difficulty securing sufficient cout time in the winters to keep the game sharp. Any suggestions from those that have tackled this problem? The courts are available for a price and at poor times of the day. The booking is only 60 minutes at a time for singles and 120 minutes at a time for doubles.

beernutz
07-09-2009, 09:29 PM
I live north of the 49th parallel in Alberta and have difficulty securing sufficient cout time in the winters to keep the game sharp. Any suggestions from those that have tackled this problem? The courts are available for a price and at poor times of the day. The booking is only 60 minutes at a time for singles and 120 minutes at a time for doubles.

Bleh, that stinks. Other than trying to 'work' the system to get more court time I can't think of anything except moving.

blakesq
07-10-2009, 05:27 AM
You from Texas? I am originally from Texas and currently live in Connecticut, north of the 41st parallel. Anyhow, the best way to get court time indoors is meet with and get involved with people who have weekly court times, they often have their own private league and are often looking for players.

raiden031
07-10-2009, 05:37 AM
See if the facility sells 'block time', which is basically reserving a court at the same time each week for the entire season. You sign a contract and pay all the fees upfront, which can be pretty costly until you collect from your playing partners.

bulldawg
07-10-2009, 07:26 AM
Our club recently started using online court reservations. This has already reduced conflicts over the limited availability of the clay courts. Plus, our pro can block out times for lessons, leagues, mixers, etc. It's working really well, to date.

www.thetennisregistry.com

zapvor
07-11-2009, 01:55 PM
yea a contract time works best probably. they usually are looking for subs to play

Texas Scrambler
07-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Great suggestions other than moving (a bit drastic). What I am hearing is get involved and work the system. It will take effort.

To: Blakesq, yes I am from Texas now living in Canada. Killer snow skiing but a very limited outdoor tennis season

Tennisman912
07-11-2009, 05:27 PM
Texas Scrambler,

The surest way as suggested is permanent court time. Most clubs have some type of reserved court time. It is good for the club as they usually get the money for the whole session up front and it is good for you because you know you always have a court.

Another way to get more court time at a discounted rate (or free) is make sure you are the first call they make when they need a sub for a group for when someone doesn’t show or cancels last minute. If the courts are busy and you are a known reliable fill in player, especially across multiple levels, you can probably get a few more times a week of play in. Especially so if you live close and are flexible.

Best of luck

TM