PDA

View Full Version : Does serving pain decrease over time?

iamke55
07-10-2009, 03:11 AM
When I first worked out at a gym, the soreness would last maybe 3 days, and I would be unable to go back. In about a month, I couldn't feel any pain even right after I was done working out and could go back the next day if I wanted.

Does this hold for practicing serves too? My shoulder was sore for a week after practicing my serve, so can I expect to practice my serve pain-free within a month?

Rorsach
07-10-2009, 04:13 AM
Does this hold for practicing serves too? My shoulder was sore for a week after practicing my serve, so can I expect to practice my serve pain-free within a month?

You´re not doing it right.

Dial back the amount of serves you practice, dial down the power or get a different technique.
Some aches are of course to be expected, but pain for a whole week, no.

GuyClinch
07-10-2009, 05:33 AM
It shouldn't hurt. It might not even be your serve form. Working out in the gym could cause a muscle imbalance which would contribute to the shoulder soreness when you serve. If its bad enough its called a shoulder impingement

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00032

it's incredibly common as most guys in the gym do a twisted set of vanity exercises based on bodybuilding rather then the kinds of exercises you should be doing for a sport like tennis.

Watchout man - you might be setting yourself up for a frozen shoulder.

Pete

Dreamer
07-10-2009, 07:08 AM
You may be forcing your shoulder on the serve. Another common mistake is shanking the serve. The vibration from the impact will make it hurt. Try slowing it down and watch the intensity of those muscles, and make sure you hit the ball properly.

fattsoo
07-11-2009, 11:28 AM
it shouldn't hurt, it should feel sore because your muscle is not used to the motion yet
when you are woking out initially, you are working on muscles that was never worked on, so they are sore due to it being actually utilized. but after a few weeks, your muscle memory kicks due to the same motion over and over and over again, so you don't feel as sore compared to before (your muscle has plateau)
serves goes the same way, it should be sore (not hurt) if you serve for a long time. but after you work on it (and granted your technique is correct) you should be able to serve for a long time without fatique