PDA

View Full Version : tennis language in spanish

channelz28
07-10-2009, 01:03 PM
i know there are some latinos that post on these boards and if any of you read this, maybe you can give me a bit of information. is there a tennis tutorial website of some kind that is in spanish? im living in ecuador and i play a fair amount at my local park where there are always tons of kids around playing and i have fun helping them out with their tennis. i speak reasonable spanish but not the language of tennis. i would love to learn the proper terminology of how to say things like "split-step" or "on your toes" and other lingo that doesnt translate directly from english, so i can help them more with their game. its fun, but the language is difficult.

Il Mostro
07-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Sorry I cannot help with tennis translations, but want to ask where in Ecuador are you and what is the tennis scene like there? My wife and I are planning a trip to South America (Santiago and then on to Montevideo) in Dec/Jan. I have enough free time to go early and have been thinking about visiting Quito and Cuenca. There is a lot of positive buzz about Vilcabamba, so maybe check that out. Thank you.

rich s
07-12-2009, 06:12 PM
i know there are some latinos that post on these boards and if any of you read this, maybe you can give me a bit of information. is there a tennis tutorial website of some kind that is in spanish? im living in ecuador and i play a fair amount at my local park where there are always tons of kids around playing and i have fun helping them out with their tennis. i speak reasonable spanish but not the language of tennis. i would love to learn the proper terminology of how to say things like "split-step" or "on your toes" and other lingo that doesnt translate directly from english, so i can help them more with their game. its fun, but the language is difficult.

Why not just teach them the english terminology?

Demonstate split-step and on-your-toes followed by the English verbiage......

blackfrido
07-12-2009, 07:59 PM

check these two for a great experience not only learning spanish but having a lot of fun at the same time with (insiders) ATP players;
http://www.vxv.com/canal=tenispro?40581
http://segundosaque.com/

here for instance Marcos Bagdathis is learing spanish with his new Argentinean coach and trainers;
http://www.vxv.com/canal=tenispro?40577

channelz28
08-16-2009, 09:47 AM
thanks for those links, looks like some fun videos. mostly i have just been showing them what to do and then they tell me whats its called if they know...but its kind of hard to communicate from different sides of the net.

Il Mostro: the tennis scene here really isnt all that much. more then the surrounding countries because of nicolas lepenttie, but for higher quality tennis, argentina and chile have a lot more courts and more serious players. but i am in quito, keep in mind if you come here to play that the elevation is 2850m, about 9300 feet. the balls bounce high and you get tired quick. also for most public courts you need to bring your own net, or rent one for a couple bucks from the club. and on the weekends you will never find a court, they get crowded. sorry i dont know much about other cities here.

Il Mostro
08-16-2009, 10:03 AM
^^^^

Thank you. Yes, elevation is a *****. Years ago I did off-season cycling training at altitude -- rude awakening. I imagine one might find a more easily accessible daily tennis scene in a smaller, recreational-oriented area like Salinas. Looks like we will stick to the original plan of a few days in Santiago then move on to Uruguay for a longer stay.