PDA

View Full Version : How come when I am the better player I can use any style and still win?

Golden Retriever
07-10-2009, 02:31 PM
I am a baseline player who dislike the net. However I have noticed that when I am playing someone not as good, I can win just as easily when I start venturing the net. Maybe tennis is really 90% mental.

Djokovicfan4life
07-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Or maybe you're just a better player. Jankovic's serves and volleys aren't great, but I'm pretty I'd be toast against her serve and volley game.

Claudius
07-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Or maybe you're just a better player. Jankovic's serves and volleys aren't great, but I'm pretty I'd be toast against her serve and volley game.

I'd say a solid 4.5 player would have no problem beating a serve and volleying Jankovic.

Djokovicfan4life
07-10-2009, 05:12 PM
I'd say a solid 4.5 player would have no problem beating a serve and volleying Jankovic.

Well, I'm not so sure about that, but even if that were true, I never claimed to be a 4.5.

Point is, when you're the superior player your B game may still be enough to get the job done.

Steady Eddy
07-10-2009, 05:12 PM
I am a baseline player who dislike the net. However I have noticed that when I am playing someone not as good, I can win just as easily when I start venturing the net. Maybe tennis is really 90% mental.Same thing in most sports. Could a pro football team that is mostly known for its passing offense beat a High School team by running? I'm sure they could. "Strategy" only matters in some occasions when the opponents are very evenly matched. People who think great strategy can compensate for poor strokes have it backwards.

Dreamer
07-10-2009, 05:37 PM

I hope you're joking. She played doubles with success.