PDA

View Full Version : Help! College Tennis Future

Federer_Sampras
07-10-2009, 05:32 PM
I am trying to play DII Tennis in college. I have good grades am rated at a 5.0NTRP, top 200 in CT 18's singles, play #3 and #4 singles at high school. Serves usually tops around 85-90. I am 6'0, 175 and very, very fit. I have only been playing tennis for two years. Is this a realistic attainable goal? Thanks

ClarkC
07-10-2009, 06:21 PM
If I could make this answer a sticky, I would:

Play USTA tournaments, get a tennisrecruiting.net ranking, and start comparing your ranking to the guys who actually get playing time at the Division II schools you are interested in. None of us (including potential college coaches) really know what to make of high school position number or the self-rated NTRP system.

What year in high school are you going to be this fall?

What is your current tennisrecruiting.net ranking? If your answer is a list of excuses as to why you don't play USTA tournaments much, then refer back to my opening advice and get with it.

tennismom42
07-11-2009, 09:58 AM
I love this sticky -- it was a senior paper written by a young man who is at Furman

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=70393

While it doesn't tell about your levels, it does describe the recruiting process quite well.

Also, read DeDe's recent article on TRN. It's an excellent timeline for the recruiting process

Perry the Platypus
07-14-2009, 07:14 AM
By CT do you mean Connecticut? If so, being top 200 in the 18's and having a 5.0 rating do not match......What is your New England Sectional ranking?

Federer_Sampras
07-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Thanks for all the advice, really appreciate it. My problem is I don't play enough tournaments and experience is my single downfall in the rankings department. I'm ranked top 325 in New England and yes I meant CT. I know it doesn't seem right but I just haven't had positive results in tournaments and have had limited play. I know it seems odd, but thats where I am now.

Andres
07-15-2009, 05:55 AM
How a person gets to 5.0 in two years is beyond me.

NickC
07-15-2009, 08:12 AM
I am trying to play DII Tennis in college. I have good grades am rated at a 5.0NTRP, top 200 in CT 18's singles, play #3 and #4 singles at high school. Serves usually tops around 85-90. I am 6'0, 175 and very, very fit. I have only been playing tennis for two years. Is this a realistic attainable goal? Thanks

You tell me what highschool you play for, and I'll tell you whether or not you're telling the truth, let alone if you're good enough to play in college. If you play for one of the big teams, like Greenwich, Staples, New Canann, Hall, Glastonbury, etc, then maybe. However, I'm not truly convinced about your level of play, a 5.0 over 6'0 tall, very fit, and can only top his serve out at 90? I'm 5'10 and can top it out somewhere around 115 and I'm barely a 5.0 (not to mention my serve is the worst part of my game hands down). And CT doesn't have state rankings, for highschool or USTA. It's either Eastern or New England. And DII is a very high level of play. A kid from Glastonbury (IIRC, or it was something like that) who was the national DII player of the year (played for Stonehill College in Boston - he's one of my neighbor's best friends at school) was the only one to take a set off Sho Matsumoto before Ben Zuckerberg managed to do that in the state finals.

T1000
07-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Do you go to Masuk? I'm in Monroe too

NickC
07-16-2009, 10:11 AM
Do you go to Masuk? I'm in Monroe too

Thought you were more eastern than that, or atleast closer to New Haven...

CTennis11
07-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Not on topic, but I don't think the player from Stonehill was the DII player of the year. He was the conference player of the year, but not national.

You tell me what highschool you play for, and I'll tell you whether or not you're telling the truth, let alone if you're good enough to play in college. If you play for one of the big teams, like Greenwich, Staples, New Canann, Hall, Glastonbury, etc, then maybe. However, I'm not truly convinced about your level of play, a 5.0 over 6'0 tall, very fit, and can only top his serve out at 90? I'm 5'10 and can top it out somewhere around 115 and I'm barely a 5.0 (not to mention my serve is the worst part of my game hands down). And CT doesn't have state rankings, for highschool or USTA. It's either Eastern or New England. And DII is a very high level of play. A kid from Glastonbury (IIRC, or it was something like that) who was the national DII player of the year (played for Stonehill College in Boston - he's one of my neighbor's best friends at school) was the only one to take a set off Sho Matsumoto before Ben Zuckerberg managed to do that in the state finals.

T1000
07-16-2009, 06:30 PM
And sorry, your not a 5.0 if you go to masuk. i beat the one there 6-1 and i'm a 3.0 at best. you might play D3, but you're gonna have to work real hard for it

NickC
07-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Not on topic, but I don't think the player from Stonehill was the DII player of the year. He was the conference player of the year, but not national.

Could'a sworn he was national, but I could be wrong. Where in CT are you?

And sorry, your not a 5.0 if you go to masuk. i beat the one there 6-1 and i'm a 3.0 at best. you might play D3, but you're gonna have to work real hard for it

You play #1 for your highschool and you consider yourself a 3.0? Dude, I thought you played at a high level in USTA events and stuff?

And were you talking to me when you asked where I go? I graduated two years ago, bro. I went to Greenwich.

T1000
07-16-2009, 08:28 PM

You play #1 for your highschool and you consider yourself a 3.0? Dude, I thought you played at a high level in USTA events and stuff?

And were you talking to me when you asked where I go? I graduated two years ago, bro. I went to Greenwich.

I play 4 for my high school. I played him in a club match over the winter. I go to trumbull racquet and masuk's one goes to tennis club of trumbull. I beat him 6-1, we only played a set.

CTennis11
07-16-2009, 08:53 PM
I'm not in CT...I played in the same conference as Stonehill. Their one was a great player though...beat some pretty solid players

NickC
07-17-2009, 11:11 AM
I play 4 for my high school. I played him in a club match over the winter. I go to trumbull racquet and masuk's one goes to tennis club of trumbull. I beat him 6-1, we only played a set.

Do you go to Trumbull High? You guys lost a hell of a player a few years ago, Akash or whatever his name was. I saw him play about 3 years ago against a buddy of mine who played #1 for Greenwich and he looked really friggin' good.

T1000
07-19-2009, 06:30 AM
Do you go to Trumbull High? You guys lost a hell of a player a few years ago, Akash or whatever his name was. I saw him play about 3 years ago against a buddy of mine who played #1 for Greenwich and he looked really friggin' good.

i go to fairfield prep