PDA

View Full Version : Nadal Style FH

user92626
07-11-2009, 12:04 AM
I wonder who in here hits or try to hit FH like Nadal.

It's amazing when I saw one guy who's the only one at the court that could consistently produce paced shots that went roughly 8-10 ft over the net and landed 5 ft inside the baseline. His shots gave his opponents so much trouble when they tried to return. The ball always kicked up to their head level and they rushed to hit it. If his opponents back up a little, he would do drop shots or bh slice to pull them in and then back to the FH. Just this combo alone and he won!

Dgpsx7
07-11-2009, 12:14 AM
Thats pretty amazing but I think you need to have a decent amount of strength to hit that shot with any pace on it.

Lsmkenpo
07-11-2009, 12:49 AM
Nadal's avg forehand doesn't travel over the net by 8-10 feet, it is more like 3 feet. 8-10 feet is a moonball,nothing special IMO.

ms87
07-11-2009, 01:06 AM
I can hit fed's forehand and nadal's forehand (not just superficial bs like their straight arm or the reverse finish of nadal). The technique is almost identical - the grip, takeback, and swing path are the only differences (and each flows from the other). What is interesting is the position of the non hitting arm naturally ends up looking like either player depending on whose shot you hit, without consciously trying to imitate it.

For those who don't believe me, I can post a video shortly. The biggest problem for me is fitness - to hit a straight arm forehand with the body rotation and racquet head speed these guys generate (not to mention the footwork required), for an entire match, is exhausting. Of course, I'm almost not facing the same pace and angles as these guys (although I do play at Open level, so I'm not teeing off on cream puffs).

user92626
07-11-2009, 01:46 AM
Lsm,
I think 3 ft is ..regular typical shot or maybe a bit loopy. That shot is nothing to write home about. If you learn to brush up the ball a little, you'd get that kind of shot. I can't imagine one consistently hits and clears the net by 1 or 2 ft. Maybe it's just me.

Dgpsx7, believe it or not, this guy I saw is smaller than most guys out there. It doesn't take much strength to swing large and up. Probably not to Nadal's level but when the contact is correct, it looks pretty decent.

Obviously I was intrigued so I had to try it. I could do 2 or 3 out of 5 shots which I could tell by the guy across the net struggling to return with a strange overhead (the ball kicks high that's y). The trick is that you tilt heavily to one side as you drop the racket head while keeping somewhat an open stance, hit up by mainly curling up your arm rather than pronating, and throw the racket forward a bit.

ser_renely
07-12-2009, 12:35 PM
I can hit a Nadal buggy whip forehand when the ball is in the right spot for me.... about waist and lower.

It takes a lot of strength to hit a true Nadal forehand imo. I know if I do a series of them I am swinging as hard as I can, and I have pretty big arms. No idea how he plays at that level for 3+ hours, incredible athlete.