PDA

View Full Version : Critique part of my game! (Serve and backhand videos)

(Blank)
07-11-2009, 01:18 AM
Feel free to say whatever you want about my game. Get a deeper knee bend, 3.5 at best maybe 3.0, my grandma can hit harder and move faster, what kind of sissy wears ankle socks and uses a 2-hander, get a haircut (I need one btw), etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzyjA2Xciis 6 serves, alternating between first and second serves. On the ad side I love hitting the kicker out wide which opens up the flat one down the middle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apJzeWRJv3Y Just a mix of flat and not too great kick serves. Sorry about the blurriness midway through. Didn't mean to aim for that guy walking onto the court. That was my friend cracking up though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7t9hveAQRE Some backhands here. I was a little bit slow reacting to some of those volleys letting them bounce twice. I'll probably crack a racket someday hitting my slice. Last backhand failed miserably.

Have at it. I'll see if I can get a video from behind sometime.

i8myshirt
07-11-2009, 01:31 AM
I say you're good. Your first serves seem like bombs, and the second seems to kick enough to compensate for the slower speed. Backhands seem solid when you get a clean hit, although you were hitting it to someone volleying it which makes hitting the next ball kind of eh.

brado32003
07-11-2009, 01:32 AM
Good kick serves. Your backhand looks good, but the tennis balls you are playing with look flat.

Do you play USTA tournaments?

aimr75
07-11-2009, 01:36 AM
like your serve, looks pretty solid

(Blank)
07-11-2009, 01:41 AM
Thanks for the compliments. Those balls have been used for quite a bit. I should try signing up for some USTA tournaments but I'm too busy with work and too lazy to drive to tournaments. Last tournament I've played in was more for fun last year but had some good players in it.

Dreamer
07-11-2009, 07:27 AM
Your camera guy has shaky hands he really should use two hands and stop breathing so heavy.

But seriously...

You would get more out of your serve if you had a higher ball toss. You would be able to put more into it.

On backhand... not really sure. You should have taken a closer shot of it, but the form seems solid to me. Those balls do look dead or had weird spins, make another video imo :)

LeeD
07-11-2009, 08:38 AM
You're a trained 3.5 PLUS player right now.
Your backhand is good, by try to stay more balanced thru and after the shot. You're flailing around, robbing balance.
Your serve. Swing OK, but all that wasted motion is killing your consistency, power potential, and causing doublefaulting. Watch some good pro players your size mostly. Don't lift that front toe....might cause doublefaults when you serve wide under pressure. Jump and explode INTO the court, not wide out left. You're misdirecting.
Mainly, and that goes for ALL you youngsters trying to serve hard, you HAVE to stop all motion just before starting the service motion!!!!!! I can't stress how important this is....and none of you do it. You stop so you can gather, concentrate, and explode. A continuous motion has about 85% of the power and about that much consistency.

Prep.
STOP !!
Now explode.

(Blank)
07-11-2009, 09:24 AM
You're a trained 3.5 PLUS player right now.
Your backhand is good, by try to stay more balanced thru and after the shot. You're flailing around, robbing balance.
Your serve. Swing OK, but all that wasted motion is killing your consistency, power potential, and causing doublefaulting. Watch some good pro players your size mostly. Don't lift that front toe....might cause doublefaults when you serve wide under pressure. Jump and explode INTO the court, not wide out left. You're misdirecting.
Mainly, and that goes for ALL you youngsters trying to serve hard, you HAVE to stop all motion just before starting the service motion!!!!!! I can't stress how important this is....and none of you do it. You stop so you can gather, concentrate, and explode. A continuous motion has about 85% of the power and about that much consistency.

Prep.
STOP !!
Now explode.

Coming from you, 3.5 plus is a compliment. :) I actually rarely double fault, but I could definitely knock off some of that extra motion as I go into the trophy pose. Great catch on the continuous motion. Explains why I get a lot more power effortlessly when I mess around and do Roddick's service motion since I pull back, stop momentarily, and launch into the ball. What exactly can I do to keep from falling too far left on kick serves? I do alright with going into the court if I follow my serve into the net but the falling to the left happens too often when I decide to stay back.

I get away with being off balance against lesser players since I'm quick but against better players, I end up scrambling a lot. Improves my defense and is good exercise I guess. :???:

Hondasteve
07-11-2009, 09:47 AM
Good serves and good advice on them above. On your groundies, I'd like to see you preparing the racquet way earlier. You move well and need to get the racquet back and have your feet set. That will help you get to the next level.

(Blank)
07-11-2009, 12:32 PM
After watching all the videos again after reading all the comments, the flaws in my game stand out much more haha. I'll try to get some forehands and other shots next time. My forehand isn't that good at all so I could use some tips on it.

boojay
07-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Hah, I like the Roddick finish or I guess I can say Andy finish because both Roddick and Murray have similar finishes to their serves.

フェデラー
07-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Forehand needs some work.

zapvor
07-11-2009, 03:16 PM
not bad. is that a lm prestige?

(Blank)
07-11-2009, 03:20 PM
not bad. is that a lm prestige?

Correct. It's like 5 years old. I got it in high school and I hit well with it so why switch? I do have a MG Prestige but I haven't gotten around to stringing it.

LeeD
07-12-2009, 08:30 AM
One thing I always do... I tell it like it is.
Your strokes are easy 3.5 to 4.0 level right now. Your consistency is not near 4.0, killing your rating right now. Some consistent 3.5's who deploy slice and angles, hard and soft, low and high balls will kill you right now. You would beat most 3.5's who try to hit hard hoping to look like pros. I'd say you have about 2.5 years of tennis under your belt, given playing 5 days a week and some coaching.
The falling left is a result of a toss too far left. You get the same twist serve tossing just behind your head, but your body moving INTO the court right at your opponent. Gives you one full step into the court, balanced in bisecting angle, should you decide to attack. Falling left gives you more chances of a forehand groundie for you, but maybe that's not so great an idea.....
Really STOP before going into the service motion. Some big guys, like the LawMan, uses your style of trophy...lowering then raising your rackethand just before the swing. DO NOT! He and I discussed it, and he agreed, if he could, he would have a trophy position that becomes static, giving him repeatability and consisitency.
Look at any pro's serve (OK, 7 out of 10). They step up to the line, line up their feet, STOP. Then start the toss motion then STOP a millisecond at the trophy (but the body keeps motion), then the swing starts.
Get into position.
Stop and concentrate.
Start the motion insuring a consistent trophy, and think EXPLODE.
Now explode into the swing and strike the ball.

ser_renely
07-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Seems like the person you are hitting with is horrible, so tough to see you get in a rhythm of shots.

looks like you have decent form...but I am not one who has any idea, since I am self taught. Looks like a nice back hand but no idea how deep they are getting and what they look like to the opponent. One person was right about your balance.

Serve seemed slow to me, tough to gage on videos though.

Horrible camera man.

just my opinions :) keep it up

ser_renely
07-12-2009, 11:39 AM
ok, I take back the speed part bc I just video'd my serve and watched it and it looks like molasses...well and it looks horrible. Never thought I looked like that. :) I have pretty good pace on my serves, so in comparison yours looks great!

now will have to post my serve for serious help :-\

(Blank)
07-12-2009, 01:05 PM
The "heavy breathing" was actually the wind and not the camera man. I'll see what I can do next time I hit the courts.