PDA

View Full Version : Traveling by Subway to the US Open

cvgreen16
07-11-2009, 04:55 AM
As someone not familiar with big cities (specifically NYC), I was wondering if anyone has some advice on the following.

I am taking my family (wife and 2 daughters) to the US Open this year. We have an evening session pass the first day, and a day session the following. Our hotel is in Times Square. Maps show we can take the #7 train from Times Square to Flushing. My question is this...

After the evening sessions conclude, do you think I would have any safety concerns getting on the subway at this hour and returning to Times Square as these sessions tend to run late? My wife is somewhat concerned, but my thought is there will be plenty of people from the Open getting on the subway as well, so it should be fairly crowded.

Any thoughts? Please excuse my ignorance on this one. Both my wife and I come from very small country towns.

Thanks for any input.

puck1230
07-11-2009, 06:02 AM
I've lived in NYC for 2 years and take the 7 train regularly at all times during the day and night. There is nothing to worry about. You are correct assuming that there will be many people leaving with you to go back to Manhattan. It was a great choice on your part to stay near Times Sq in this case since it's so 7 train friendly. Have fun at the Open.

ksqwqb
07-11-2009, 12:11 PM
You shouldn't be concerned at all. I went last year, did the same thing, the trains are packed on the way home, I never felt nervous or threatened whatsoever. You will find the trip amazingly easy, I know I did! Have fun!

tribunal4555
07-11-2009, 04:43 PM
As someone not familiar with big cities (specifically NYC), I was wondering if anyone has some advice on the following.

I am taking my family (wife and 2 daughters) to the US Open this year. We have an evening session pass the first day, and a day session the following. Our hotel is in Times Square. Maps show we can take the #7 train from Times Square to Flushing. My question is this...

After the evening sessions conclude, do you think I would have any safety concerns getting on the subway at this hour and returning to Times Square as these sessions tend to run late? My wife is somewhat concerned, but my thought is there will be plenty of people from the Open getting on the subway as well, so it should be fairly crowded.

Any thoughts? Please excuse my ignorance on this one. Both my wife and I come from very small country towns.

Thanks for any input.

Hope you enjoy your trip! There's no problems whatsoever on the #7 train at that hour!

snoopy
07-11-2009, 06:40 PM
The last time I went to a Mets game, I took the 7 train.

The trains were crowded and one dude was standing next to some cute girl and began rubbing himself inappropriately. People eventually noticed what he was doing and he got off at the next stop.

That being said, things should be safe. The biggest thing you have to worry about is loosing a kid in the large crowd. Stick together and make sure you all get on and off the train at the same stop.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06032009/news/regionalnews/ny_safest_of_all_big_cities_172299.htm

cvgreen16
07-12-2009, 05:00 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I'm sure this will help to ease any concerns we had. We visited NY without the kids last year and always felt safe, but we didn't stay out all that late either.

Thanks again.

rommil
07-12-2009, 07:56 AM
CV you should be fine and I hope you get to know the city better then you will enjoy it much better as well. Have fun.......

Kick_It
07-12-2009, 03:22 PM
I've taken the 7 from Midtown to 3 different night sessions. No issues for me.

As I recall, coming back from a quarterfinal night session - it was pretty crowded heading back into town.

Have Fun! K_I

rich s
07-12-2009, 05:05 PM
I lived in NYC/Queens for 18 years growing up....took the 7 train to Shea and US Open and rode the G train to high school if Brooklyn for 4 years.....

If you are concerned about safety ride in the same car as the conductor. The conductor opens and closes the doors, the engineer drives the train....the conductor usually rides in one of the middle cars and hangs his/her head out the window while opening and closing the doors so it is easy to tell what car s/he rides in.

There will be more people on the train when the evening session lets out than during rush hour.....no worries.....have fun!!!

canadave
07-12-2009, 05:15 PM
cvgreen,

All the advice given you here is spot on. I'll just add one other bit, speaking as someone who spent my first 30 years in NYC:

If you don't want to take the subway, you can also take the LIRR (Long Island Railroad) from Penn Station (8 blocks south of Times Square). The LIRR is a commuter rail train, about twice as expensive as the subway, but very comfy (cushioned seats) and the tennis stadium is only two stops (so it's quicker, less stops, etc). The stadium is also pretty much right next to the LIRR station, whereas the subway stop is only "close by"--about a 3-4 minute walk (mind you, getting from your hotel to Penn Station in the first place would take longer than that).

So, for maximum comfort and safety, and if price isn't an issue: take LIRR. For convenience, cheapness, the benefits of an authentic NYC experience, and proximity to your hotel--take the subway.

But bear in mind, there won't be any real safety issue at all on the subway...it's quite safe.

jcstennis
07-12-2009, 06:39 PM
i took my wife to the USO for her first time last year... we stayed in Times Square... and the train rides were fine... we live in Philly, so no big deal... the trains were clean and with no trouble whatsoever. It's a great, inexpensive ride to the Open (we split a rail pass)! Have fun!

rasajadad
07-13-2009, 04:40 AM
Just check on what time the subway stops running. As I recall, some late matches can go on after the trains stop.

Wizard of id
07-13-2009, 05:10 AM
Just check on what time the subway stops running.

This is NYC. The subway doesn't stop. The express stops around 10pm, but the local runs 24/7- no worries there. :)

canadave
07-13-2009, 06:10 AM
Oh, one other thing cvgreen: if you're not familiar with big cities, you might want to just make sure you understand the little details of taking the NYC subway if that's what you decide to do. Like, how you actually buy the fare (MetroCard), how you use the MetroCard at the turnstile, etc. Times Square subway station will likely be incredibly busy when you're going down there, there will be zillions of people, it'll likely be as hot as an oven and stiflingly hot in the station, you don't want to be standing around with wife and kids trying to figure out how to get on the subway. I've seen way too many tourist families start freaking out and getting upset....it's just a stressful environment, and while you can ask the "token booth agent" (I guess they must still be called token booths, even though the system stopped using tokens years ago), you're better off just figuring it out beforehand to save the aggravation.

Basically, you buy a MetroCard to enter the subway system, and then swipe it through a reader on the turnstile. You can buy MetroCards from touchscreen vending machines inside the subway station. Some stores on the street sell MetroCards too (perhaps your hotel can help point some out to you), but most people just buy them in the station. You can buy MetroCards that are "single ride" (i.e. you buy a certain number of rides, and then each time you swipe the card, it debits that amount from your card), or you can buy an "Unlimited Ride" MetroCard that is good for 7 days or a month. If you're going to be spending lots of time in NYC, and travelling lots of places by subway, the Unlimited Ride is a good idea to buy. My wife and I saved about $20-$30 apiece last time we were in NYC for a week by each buying the 7-day Unlimited Ride.

The difference to keep in mind is that the single-ride MetroCard can be shared (i.e., one person swipes the card through the turnstile, hands it over to the next person, who swipes the card through the turnstile, etc etc)...but the Unlimited Ride MetroCard can only be used by one person (once it's swiped at a turnstile, it can't be used for another 15 minutes or so). So if you're buying single-ride card....buy one with enough money to get your family to wherever you're going and back, and just share that one card; but if buying the Unlimited Ride, you need to buy each person (even the kids) their own card.

For more info, check the MTA website:
http://www.mta.info/nyct/index.html

And here's MetroCard info:
http://www.mta.info/metrocard/

Good luck!

choth21
07-13-2009, 07:08 AM

Thanks for any input.[/QUOTE]

The train will be mobbed with people who are also leaving the US Open, so the subway will be fine.

dennis10is
07-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Make sure your family members are wearing full body armor with Chobam plates.

Night vision goggles, close quarter combat weapons, bio-chem suits, oxygen tanks and a dead man switch. If you die, the explosives wired to all your family members will go off and take out at least the one railcar.

Have a repeating voice state "warning, the use of deadly force is authorized at all times".

I highly recommend that you hire off duty NYPD ESU or "SWAT" for protection detail. Just ask the concierge at your hotel to arrange it.

If you can afford it, have an extraction team circling your family at all times (except for when you are in the tunnels) on a modified Black Hawk.

canadave
07-14-2009, 09:54 AM
LOL.....

Oh, and make sure to watch the movie, "The Warriors", before you go....just to put your mind totally at ease :twisted:

dennis10is
07-14-2009, 10:57 AM
LOL.....

Oh, and make sure to watch the movie, "The Warriors", before you go....just to put your mind totally at ease :twisted:

That was back in the 70's. NYC is much tougher now. Only children use knives and revolvers. Adults employ SAWs and .50 cal auto.

mike53
07-17-2009, 07:15 AM
Carry a racquet cover over your shoulder (the kind that covers the entire racquet including the handle, with or without the racquet) and no one will bother you.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-nCode-Tennis-Racquet-Cover/dp/B00282IC6C

eeytennis
07-17-2009, 11:36 AM

Thanks for any input.

No it's perfectly safe. There will be a big crowd of people on the train back to Times Square. i went for the day session and it actually ran late so we were on the Subway around 9 or 10 PM and there were TONS of people coming from the US Open. One word of advice though...try your best to get a seat at least for your two girls. The train ride back is about an hour long and having to stand up in a hot and crowded car is NOT fun!! But yeah, you should have no safety concerns at all, just take any precautions you would normally take. Have fun!

choth21
07-22-2009, 08:16 AM
For a couple dollars more, you can also take the LIRR which is faster.