PDA

View Full Version : Federer Adjustment Steps

tennisnut16
07-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Federer has such great footwork and everything seems effortless to him, so I was wondering what he does differently and why. I noticed that he runs, uses adjustment steps and then takes a large step again. I also noticed that Del Potro does this as well. I was always taught to use large steps and then adjust to the ball, as I am sure most other people have as well. What is the benefit of this? Also if you have any other observations on his footwork wich are unique, feel free to share them!!

150mph_
07-11-2009, 09:50 AM
nadal has better and faster footwork though...
federer isnt even fast in terms of pure speed, but its his anticipation and court sense that makes him fast around the court

tennisnut16
07-11-2009, 09:52 AM
What is better about Nadal's footwork? I'm not questioning that it is better, just why is it better? What is different about it?

150mph_
07-11-2009, 09:56 AM
its just faster and the little adjustment steps he makes when he is retrieving balls... drool
its good to have futbol pedigree

boojay
07-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Actually, Nadal's footwork is pretty horrid compared to Fed's. If Nadal's footwork were better, he wouldn't have to run around so much and wouldn't have injured himself. Fed's footwork is simple, efficient, effortless, and perfect. Nadal's a chaser/retriever/grinder/pusher. He expends so much energy and places so much stress on his body.

If you were to compare the amount of unnecessary steps taken between Fed and Nadal (or anyone else on tour really), I'm sure you'd find that Fed has the least amount of wear, which is why his career will last longer than most.

Dreamer
07-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Nadal has incredible footwork. His footwork is not inferior to that of Federer's and it's stupid to call it horrid. They are just different styles. Federer's balance in the game is unmatched, but he'll never match Nadal's explosive speed. It's more preference.

As far as Federer goes, he is very light on his feet. It seems effortless because his body positioning is incredible. It's the pace of the game that removes the time for small steps. On a short ball you'll see more of the short steps that you are taught. On an amateur level of tennis you should have plenty of time for adjustment steps

boojay
07-11-2009, 02:22 PM
Nadal has incredible footwork. His footwork is not inferior to that of Federer's and it's stupid to call it horrid. They are just different styles. Federer's balance in the game is unmatched, but he'll never match Nadal's explosive speed. It's more preference.

As far as Federer goes, he is very light on his feet. It seems effortless because his body positioning is incredible. It's the pace of the game that removes the time for small steps. On a short ball you'll see more of the short steps that you are taught. On an amateur level of tennis you should have plenty of time for adjustment steps

I said horrid compared to Federer's, not horrid in itself, but that can be said about 99% of all players when you compare them to Fed's, so it's nothing to be ashamed of.

As for speed, just because Fed isn't lunging and chasing balls down all the time like a madman doesn't mean he's not fast. He simply does not need to be that fast. Nadal's footwork is nowhere near as efficient as Fed's (and therefore, nowhere near as good in that sense), he has to have a completely different mentality than Fed's, that is, he knows he's going to have to chase down every ball and be run ragged because unlike Fed, he's not cutting off balls and moving fluently. Fed, on the other hand, has a more relaxed approach because his footwork is so compact, he simply glides on the court, and his mentality is, I'm going to stay consistent in my footwork and if a ball goes out of the reach of my most-of-the-time impenetrable footwork, I'm just going to let it go and move on to the next point.

zapvor
07-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Actually, Nadal's footwork is pretty horrid compared to Fed's. If Nadal's footwork were better, he wouldn't have to run around so much and wouldn't have injured himself. Fed's footwork is simple, efficient, effortless, and perfect. Nadal's a chaser/retriever/grinder/pusher. He expends so much energy and places so much stress on his body.

If you were to compare the amount of unnecessary steps taken between Fed and Nadal (or anyone else on tour really), I'm sure you'd find that Fed has the least amount of wear, which is why his career will last longer than most.

yea federer is much better than nadal. he is effortless. nadal on theother hand is scrambling everywhere

Dreamer
07-11-2009, 08:09 PM
I said horrid compared to Federer's, not horrid in itself, but that can be said about 99% of all players when you compare them to Fed's, so it's nothing to be ashamed of.

As for speed, just because Fed isn't lunging and chasing balls down all the time like a madman doesn't mean he's not fast. He simply does not need to be that fast. Nadal's footwork is nowhere near as efficient as Fed's (and therefore, nowhere near as good in that sense), he has to have a completely different mentality than Fed's, that is, he knows he's going to have to chase down every ball and be run ragged because unlike Fed, he's not cutting off balls and moving fluently. Fed, on the other hand, has a more relaxed approach because his footwork is so compact, he simply glides on the court, and his mentality is, I'm going to stay consistent in my footwork and if a ball goes out of the reach of my most-of-the-time impenetrable footwork, I'm just going to let it go and move on to the next point.

Actually their footwork matches their playstyle, Nadal's is more defensive and Federer is super aggressive. Nadal's technique and Federer's technique are complementary to their footwork. Nadal strokes would be awkward on fed's footwork and vice versa. To say one is better than the other is by nature a matter of preference. Whose game you prefer.

I digress Fed has less wear and tear, but in terms of court coverage, you have to admit Nadal's superiority. If you were to pick it would be essentially picking Nadal or Fed's playstyle, because it's very much a part of their whole game.

dirkgnuf
07-12-2009, 12:19 AM
I have to disagree there. Federer's footwork is exceptional because he knows how to position himself well. Watch when he plays and you'll see that he moves in long strides, and gets in position without taking many "adjustment steps". OP, if you're looking for players with good adjustment steps and footwork, the kind that most players can truly learn from, you'd like to look at Jimmy Connors. He was the epitome of a player with great footwork and an effective adjustment step mover.

tennisnut16
07-16-2009, 04:29 PM
bump......

user92626
07-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Fed's footwork is better in our newbies' eyes because Fed's style looks closer to ours (so we think) and so it looks more comfortable and efficient. Nadal's footwork has to be that way because he needs it to support his hitting style which we all know is heavier than Fed's. It's proven that Nadal hits harder than Fed. And because we newbies can't relate to this "freak of nature" we won't understand the inherent superiority. By superiority I mean it has to be since it's part of the game that help Nadal beat the crap out of Fed. Eh?