PDA

View Full Version : Service Grip

SethIMcClaine
07-11-2009, 10:53 AM
When I serve I usually use an Eastern grip, How necisary is it for me to move over to the Continental grip?

Roddick155mph
07-11-2009, 11:13 AM
With an eastern grip, you can serve well and flat, but it would be difficult to serve hard and get the ball in the service box at the same time. When you can spin the ball in the same direction of travel called. This kind of spin is called topspin. The aerodynamic forces pull the ball into the court or service box when the ball has topspin. To impart topspin you will need to hold your racket with a continantal grip. Like this you are holding your racket like an axe making it easier to brush the ball upward to impart topspin.

thejoe
07-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Eastern forehand or backhand?

Djokovicfan4life
07-11-2009, 06:09 PM
DO NOT serve with an eastern forehand grip. It limits your racquet head speed and spin potential.

If you are serious about improving your game then you need to make the switch to continental.

trenzterra
07-11-2009, 07:30 PM
i took about a month to make the switch and so far my serves have been twice as consistent and about 10mph faster i figure

Blake0
07-11-2009, 07:36 PM
DO NOT serve with an eastern forehand grip. It limits your racquet head speed and spin potential.

If you are serious about improving your game then you need to make the switch to continental.

Agreed. I recommend switching right away if you are. It might feel weird when you first start using this grip, but it'll turn out better in the end.

SethIMcClaine
07-11-2009, 07:57 PM
thanks all

EtePras
07-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Use whatever feels most comfortable, like in every stroke. My serve lost nearly 70 mph when I made the switch, and the consistency has disappeared completely.

Bud
07-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Use whatever feels most comfortable, like in every stroke. My serve lost nearly 70 mph when I made the switch, and the consistency has disappeared completely.

What was your serve before and what is it now?

tennisdad65
07-11-2009, 09:39 PM

you lost 70 mph? :confused:
as in from 140 mph to 70 mph? :)
or from 100 mph to 30 mph?

Bella
07-12-2009, 01:28 AM
Can anyone offer more detailed information about why the continental grip is better, and how to get used to it after using the eastern forehand grip for so long? This problem is driving me crazy lately. My flat serves are much much faster and more accurate with the eastern forehand. I use continental for slice or topspin, but those aren't very fast or as accurate as the flat with eastern. I've been trying to go between eastern and continental to ease into it, but it doesn't seem to be helping. Anyone?

trenzterra
07-12-2009, 01:47 AM
for a start, at the trophy position, pronate such that you do not need to turn your arm when you're swinging towards the ball.

at the start, i realised i was trying to hammer the ball and framed many balls, while some others flew wide with excessive unneeded slice, but once i realised my fault, i was able to correct it.

also if you currently serve with your chest facing the net, try turning about 30-45 degrees sideways. this way it is easier for your racquet face to square the ball.

i dont know, but with the conti grip i can serve more consistently. more importantly, the wrist pronation adds torque to your serve.

i could serve fast with an efh too, or what i thought was fast. but now its more consistent and has that extra oomph to it, as well as the extra satisfaction!

LeeD
07-12-2009, 08:35 AM
You can serve with any grip you want, from gorilla to spider...
But bare in mind, 98% of the top players in the world serve all their serves with the same continental grip, some with a twist towards forehand, some with a slight twist towards backhand, some dead conti.
Now you can reinvent the wheel, start up a new fusion device, or show the world how water likes to seek it's own level, but maybe your time should be spent perfecting your tennis, not reinventing tennis.

OhDear
07-12-2009, 10:16 AM
One of the greatest servers of all time used a Western service grip if I'm not mistaken.

As far as your situation, no, you do NOT have to use a continental grip. An eastern is just fine, I would even recommend you stay with that if that is what works. Eastern backhand grips (in my experience) allow for more topspin.

Grizvok
07-12-2009, 11:20 AM
For me, the continental grip on the first serve and a significant shift to the EBH on the second serve is perfect. The EBH just FORCES you to hit with more spin try it out and I'm sure you'll realize it from the very beginning. In depends on what serve you are going for of course but generally get your toss up and over your head so you can impart full topspin instead of having a Dementieva type toss that goes out to the side and makes you hit slices which aren't necessarily bad but just don't have the margin that the topspin serve will have.

Grizvok
07-12-2009, 11:20 AM
One of the greatest servers of all time used a Western service grip if I'm not mistaken.

As far as your situation, no, you do NOT have to use a continental grip. An eastern is just fine, I would even recommend you stay with that if that is what works. Eastern backhand grips (in my experience) allow for more topspin.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about an Eastern forehand, and no an eastern forehand grip on the serve ISN'T fine.

OhDear
07-12-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm pretty sure he was talking about an Eastern forehand, and no an eastern forehand grip on the serve ISN'T fine.

If so, I stand corrected.

Bella
07-12-2009, 03:33 PM
for a start, at the trophy position, pronate such that you do not need to turn your arm when you're swinging towards the ball.

at the start, i realised i was trying to hammer the ball and framed many balls, while some others flew wide with excessive unneeded slice, but once i realised my fault, i was able to correct it.

also if you currently serve with your chest facing the net, try turning about 30-45 degrees sideways. this way it is easier for your racquet face to square the ball.

i dont know, but with the conti grip i can serve more consistently. more importantly, the wrist pronation adds torque to your serve.

i could serve fast with an efh too, or what i thought was fast. but now its more consistent and has that extra oomph to it, as well as the extra satisfaction!

Thanks for this- can you explain more what you mean by pronating so that you don't need to turn the arm? I'm not sure what you mean by that. I do not stand facing the net, actually I stand with my left foot pretty much perfectly parallel to the baseline.

SethIMcClaine
07-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks for this- can you explain more what you mean by pronating so that you don't need to turn the arm? I'm not sure what you mean by that. I do not stand facing the net, actually I stand with my left foot pretty much perfectly parallel to the baseline.

Between one of my tennis partners going over it with me, your comments, and one of the training aids I saw, think of serving somewhat like throwing a football. You want your front foot somewhat angled toward the court and you want to pronate the same way you would throw a football while the beginning of your motion should start with the butt cap (the point of the football) facing the tennisball

--correct me if I'm wrong

Bella
07-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Between one of my tennis partners going over it with me, your comments, and one of the training aids I saw, think of serving somewhat like throwing a football. You want your front foot somewhat angled toward the court and you want to pronate the same way you would throw a football while the beginning of your motion should start with the butt cap (the point of the football) facing the tennisball

--correct me if I'm wrong

Thanks, I think you are right about all of that. I am just wondering more specifically how I can make it more powerful with the continental grip since I seem to be getting more power from the eastern forehand grip.

theZig
07-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Thanks, I think you are right about all of that. I am just wondering more specifically how I can make it more powerful with the continental grip since I seem to be getting more power from the eastern forehand grip.

because with proper technique, the continental grip allows for more racket head speed via pronation. racket head speed = power.

SethIMcClaine
07-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Think about trying to throw a football without a spiral compaired to throwing it with one.. the kenetics work in there some how giving you more torque

trenzterra
07-13-2009, 03:56 AM

meaning you pronate first before you swing up to hit the ball, making sure that when you swing up, your racquet face already squares the ball

SethIMcClaine
07-13-2009, 04:26 PM
meaning you pronate first before you swing up to hit the ball, making sure that when you swing up, your racquet face already squares the ball
I've always heard you pronate just before contact, not before the up swing at the ball. Can someone else clarify?

pvaudio
07-13-2009, 04:36 PM
I've always heard you pronate just before contact, not before the up swing at the ball. Can someone else clarify?A proper service technique should be allow you to serve into the box when standing on the service line and on the baseline. Try standing on the service like with your racquet in hand, standing up, and focus on tossing the ball and pronating through the swing. You don't pronate before or after, it's part of the swing itself. You'll go up at the ball with the palm facing the side of your head, at contact the palm will be facing the opponent, and just after contact, the palm will be facing away from the side of your head. You do the exact same motion when you throw a baseball, only difference is that you don't realize it. If you threw a ball without pronation, you would "throw like a girl", meaning you would be using your forearm alone to drive the ball forward, not the wrist snap which is what generates the speed necessary.

pvaudio
07-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Another added bonus is that pronating on your serve with a continental grip is a lot easier on your arm. The pronation is a natural biomechanical movement just like turning your fist 90 degrees while throwing a punch. It's natural to get the most of of the movement.

trenzterra
07-15-2009, 04:27 AM
I've always heard you pronate just before contact, not before the up swing at the ball. Can someone else clarify?

yes by right you should, but you should just try first to get used to it. slowly it'll become natural.

another thing to watch out for is the ball toss. i just realised this when i 'lost' my serve for about an hour today. you need to toss the ball inches in front of you. if you arm is close to you, you may realise it is harder to pronate than when your arm is out front.

pvaudio
07-15-2009, 07:16 AM
Because it's just going to take time and practice. Often times when I'm on the court and find a younger player serving with an eastern grip, I'll try to teach him to serve with a continental grip instead. Of course he'll go off and show off his pancake serve, but unfortunately, in almost all cases, a full effort eastern grip serve has the same or less pace as just pronating through the ball (no legs).