PDA

View Full Version : Wind managment

canuckfan
07-11-2009, 03:08 PM
I played recently on a gusty day with the wind blowing directly lengthwise down the court. Medium wind, but unpredictable. Couldn't properly time my groundstrokes, and couldn't keep my serves in when serving with the wind. Really annoying, basically was forced to take very conservative swings and aim for the center of the court with some more topspin -- and still it seemed like I was framing every third shot. I had no feel for the ball. Switching ends every other game made it worse, I had to constantly readjust (unsuccessfully) for the wind.

So...I suppose I'm venting some frustration, but are there any additional tips other than take lots of small steps, give yourself more margin, and accepting the wind bullsh*t and grinding it out?

JavierLW
07-11-2009, 03:22 PM
I played recently on a gusty day with the wind blowing directly lengthwise down the court. Medium wind, but unpredictable. Couldn't properly time my groundstrokes, and couldn't keep my serves in when serving with the wind. Really annoying, basically was forced to take very conservative swings and aim for the center of the court with some more topspin -- and still it seemed like I was framing every third shot. I had no feel for the ball. Switching ends every other game made it worse, I had to constantly readjust (unsuccessfully) for the wind.

So...I suppose I'm venting some frustration, but are there any additional tips other than take lots of small steps, give yourself more margin, and accepting the wind bullsh*t and grinding it out?

Well the first step to "grinding out" any sort of undesirable situation is to have a positive attitude and not sit there and complain about it and use words like bullsh*t.

If the wind is steady you just have to adjust for what it's doing the court. (baseline to baseline it makes it shorter on one end but longer on the other)

One trick I use in singles is if Im serving with the wind, I stand more out near the sidelines (more like doubles style) so that puts more distance between me and the service box.

Otherwise if it's just gusting randomly that's just hard to deal with.

Whether you like it or not players who take smaller steps, good technique and dont take huge big giant rapid cuts with their arm at the ball are going to do better then people with bad footwork and no control over their swing speed.

The other guy's dealing with it as well so you cant really complain that it's somehow unfair or anything.

canuckfan
07-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Certainly the point about attitude is well made. I won the match, by the way. I was not suggesting the conditions were unfair -- just that I was extremely frustrated by my own inability to effectively deal with it. Had I been facing a better player I would not have won so I'm looking for some help before it happens again. Interesting point about shifting towards the sideline when serving with the wind, I'll give it a try the next time.

canuckfan
07-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Any other tips?

10nistennis
07-12-2009, 05:38 PM
The other guy's dealing with it as well so you cant really complain that it's somehow unfair or anything.

This is true. However, sometimes, there are kids who are more adept at dealing with windy conditions then another player. So, sometimes, it actually is unfair.

For example, down in south Texas, it is constantly very windy. So the kids down there have to adjust with to the wind. So when some kid plays a south Texas kid in the wind, the south Texas kid has an "unfair" advantage I should say, in the match.

But JavierLW is right about the attitude part. You must keep a positive attitude.

When you are playing with the wind blowing into your back, try to hit with more spin. If you're playing against the wind, try hitting it with more drive and power. Also, if you're against the wind, drop shots come in handy.

ser_renely
07-12-2009, 05:44 PM
I think one has to look at the wind with semi positive spin, else it will **** you off so much. I play in a place that has no wind screens and is very windy(20+mph days) except in the dead of summer.

On bigger windy days I still play and its hard, but I do think it really helps my eye to hand coordination. I don't care how I play too much since its pointless in a some sense, but I know it has made me a better player. Having to adjust real quick in the wind helps, I think ,against VERY hard hitters.

broddfelt
07-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Hi,

I wrote some tips on how to play in the wind a couple of weeks ago on my blog. You can read the tips here at broddfelt.com (http://broddfelt.com/how-to-play-tennis-when-it-is-windy/)

150mph_
07-14-2009, 06:00 AM
stand more behind from the baseline so you have more time to adjust for the ball