PDA

View Full Version : Another Racquet Recommendation Question

cadfael_tex
07-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Question: What Tweener racquet should I get?

Ok, so you need some information.

Came back to tennis after about a 15 year layoff in 2006 (you'll find a lot of post from me then). I had been a serve and volley player back then with a pretty decent forehand. Coming back in 2005 my big problem was my movement (no surprise). I played for about 6 months trying a lot of racquets (including a lot of old ones I had). I bought a Prince O3 Tour at the time and ended up playing mostly with Slazenger Pro X1's that I got from a friend (Kartik on here). Fast forward - a year long trip overseas courtesy of Uncle Sam, injury, and the result of not playing since the beginning of 2006.

I think I probably need a tweener with my degraded skills and broken body. The problem I had with them at the time was the 'twangy' feel (hope that makes sense) and a twinge of tennis elbow for the first time in my life. I've 'modernized' my swings a little bit and hope to continue that trend.

What racquets might be less twangy, more powerful, and still fairly good on the arm.

tribunal4555
07-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Good on the arm? Prokennex Ionic Ki 5. I'd recommend the Redondo, but it's underpowered.

cadfael_tex
07-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Looked at the specs of those two Tribunal. What would they offer me that the Slazenger doesn't. Look to be about the same weight and same power level (maybe slightly more)?

Thanks for your input.

tribunal4555
07-13-2009, 05:11 PM
The Redondo and the Ki 5 are the most arm-friendly racquets out there. They really help eliminate TE, which is good. Both the Redondo mid and midplus have noticeably less power than the Slazenger. The Ki 5 is a much better match in all respects- it will probably play similarily, although the feel will most likely be different- more muted, and soft on your arm. The Slazenger is slightly heavier than the Ki 5, but the swingweight, balance, and power level (a hair more, unless you hit the sweetspot- then noticeably more) are very similar. The Ki 5 is a little more flexy, but that should help your arm problems- it isn't a frame with a lot of vibration.

Just my $.02.

10nistennis
07-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Dunlop 4D Aerogel 500.